mHa VS Volts - Which Rechargeable Battery??
Feb 11, 2006 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

scm207

100+ Head-Fier
OK. A newbie question regarding rechargeable 9v batteries. The Plainviews are highly regarded at 9.6v but only 1700mHa. There are other rechargeable 9v batteries out there that list 9v and 2500mHa. At least in power tools, I tend to think of amps as representing the guts and the power in use. Why do folks lean toward volts instead of mHa when choosing rechargeable batteries??

PS: My interest is in which batteries to use with a RSA SR-71.

Feb 11, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by scm207
OK. A newbie question regarding rechargeable 9v batteries. The Plainviews are highly regarded at 9.6v but only 1700mHa. There are other rechargeable 9v batteries out there that list 9v and 2500mHa. At least in power tools, I tend to think of amps as representing the guts and the power in use. Why do folks lean toward volts instead of mHa when choosing rechargeable batteries??

PS: My interest is in which batteries to use with a RSA SR-71.

Cough - a 9.6V battery that was 1700mah would be extraordinary, most rechargeable 9V s are in the 150 - 240mah range. AA tend to be about 1300 - 2700 mah and AAA from 600mah to maybe 800mah. My rechargeables are 9v and 200mah.

Some amps are very picky about voltage and some chips have serious performance isssues when the voltage drops, on the other had some chips really cannot handle high voltages. If interested there is a good discussion of some of these issues at...

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

As for the SR-71 I would ask the builder what he reccomends. Of course some amps need high current my Mcubed apparently *needs* 300ma and if it gets less it will be unhappy.

Feb 11, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix
Here are some 400 mAh 9V li-ion rechargeable batteries that should offer superior play time to NiMH batteries. http://www.thomas-distributing.com/i...le-battery.php

Sorry If I am being ignorant but I thought that there were some potential problems with lithium-ion rechargeables, I had heard tales of explosions and other fun and games
confused.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 7
From what I have read on here, the only problems occur if you try to overcharge them or leave them sitting in the heat. You can avoid overcharging by using the iPower special lithium charger and use common sense to avoid excessive heat. Doing a search for 9V lithium rechargeables should bring up the relavent threads.

Feb 11, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix
From what I have read on here, the only problems occur if you try to overcharge them or leave them sitting in the heat. You can avoid overcharging by using the iPower special lithium charger and use common sense to avoid excessive heat. Doing a search for 9V lithium rechargeables should bring up the relavent threads.

Thanks, it is a shame I have just bought 4 x 9V and a charger. It has always puzzled me why so few manufacturers put timers on 9v chargers. Mine take almost a day to charge
plainface.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 7
Some chargers only take a couple of hours for the 9 volt recharagable to charge. Go to Thomas Distributing and they and one that I have used and sold which has a fast charge. Seen here:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/m...ry-charger.htm

Make sure if you get the higher capacity lithium battery that you get the charge design for it and not the other one I pointed out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Thanks, it is a shame I have just bought 4 x 9V and a charger. It has always puzzled me why so few manufacturers put timers on 9v chargers. Mine take almost a day to charge
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back