MH40, Mad Dog/Mad Dog Pro/Alpha Dog...worth Trying in my situation?
Feb 27, 2015 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tavilyn

100+ Head-Fier
Righto. So I've got the Sennheiser 598s now, with the x2 on the way for a bit more perspective. I like the 598s...they're more than loud enough, I can even make them distort a tiny bit at max volume, which I obviously don't want. The bass is not as bad as I thought. I do like a bit of a slam in my music though, as I do like metal and rock and the like. What I want to know is sort of two things. First, are the headphones listed in the title of the thread worth trying if I can get hold of 'em (for price point and sound quality)? And second, why do the MH40 seem so generally not talked about? Am I just running in the wrong circles because most of what I've been talking about regards open cans, or are they otherwise considered inferior or a bad option for some reason? Bear in mind, I'm not willing to get anything stronger than my E10K currently, so if any of the models I listed are particularly hard to drive and will sound bad without more juice than I'd be feeding them, let me know. I'm not asking this because I'm dissatisfied with the 598s, by the way; I'm more just trying to get an idea of what else to expect roughly in this price range. I know I want something with a bit of bass to it without going fully into basshead territory, and as such I suspect the AKG models with their clarity and lessened punch aren't going to be to my taste. That's why I'm asking about some closed-back models. Sorry if I'm being pesky; and yes, I have done some research on some of these, but no amount of reviews themselves will compare to someone who's tried both the 598s and one or more of the models I've mentioned and can give me a rough idea of what to look for as far as differences go.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 5
Philips Fidelio X2, Soundmagic HP200 or DT990 Pro 250 ohm. I'm not sure if the E10K will be able to run the DT990 proberly though - sure it will get loud enough but I think it will loose some dynamics. The reason I don't mention any closed is because if you are able to use open I'd strongly recommend that over closed.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 5
MH40 is essentially a new headphone brand. They don't have a fan base, aren't widely available for audition and there are relatively few (but good!) reviews about them.
Which for most seasoned headfiers is still not enough to justify a purchase (as most prefer a proper audition).
So, at least from my perspective they seem like a 'good value fashion' headphone, rather than super-audiophile territory. 

My modified T20RPMKII (with previous older mod) I've been told sounds similar to most modded T50RPs by a fellow local headfier, so I can confidently say it's ABSOLUTELY worth giving a listen to any modified T50RPMKii.

Since then I've re-modded it and it sounds stunning compared to the old mod, since the community mods are always evolving, getting better and better. The same even goes for the Mad Dog and siblings.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 5
Hmm. Why, I'm curious, do you say that if I have a choice between open and closed, I should take open? I know closed usually squeezes your soundstage a bit, but is there anything else it does that's particularly non-ideal? After all, even the HD800s I demo'd did not have the sort of soundstage people rave about here; nothing beats speakers for that. I'm not saying it's not important, only that it's maybe not quite so crucial, for me at least. But if close-backed cans are going to have a blurrier or muddier sound no matter how good they are, or if there's some other downside, I'm all ears. I'm mostly just testing the water, as I was advised to do after getting a handle on what I like and what I don't.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 5
I think most of us here are using headphones because we have to.
Given the physical space and budget it's speakers 100% of time.

The upside to closed back headphones is that you sometimes can get even closer to the music.
Even the quiet noises which you normally don't notice at home are kept out. Street-noise, nature, weather, the fridge humming, washing machine, pipes, gas-powered water heaters, your own breathing etc etc...

But I've yet to hear a closed headphone that gives such a graceful sense of air and space as an open-back.
HD800 soundstage is only relative to all other headphones, where it excels. For the nearest thing to TRUE soundstage you need the AKG K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back