MH40 but Sparkly
Jan 13, 2017 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zrocket

New Head-Fier
I am wondering if something like this exists. I am familiar with the sound signature of the Master and Dynamic MH40 Headphones and am a fan. I do have some problems with it though. I find the top end to be veiled and for it to have a round sound.  I find it to have the perfect amount of bass and mids, only the treble is a problem. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 12
I'm in the same situation as you are. Out of the closed backs I've purchased in this price category, I found a unique love for the MH40 sound. Full and rich, with a rolled off treble. Oppo PM-3's are too neutral compared to the MH40's ( no sparkle in my opinion ), and B&O H6 gen 2's do not provide the same fullness ( lacks presence in certain mid frequencies to my ears).

Have you had a chance to audition the B&W P7's? I think they are worth an audition ( Best Buy Magnolia stores usually have them out for listening ), even if I find them a little harsh at times.

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 12
Have you thought to equalize the top end? All headphones have odd upper midrange/high end and most consider the solution by trying different cans to solve what they do not like about the ones they actually do like. Solution is to use a DSP based audio processor, be it a hardware solution or PC based. This suggestion refers to the simplest IIR type correction (simple) to FIR type filtering (complex).

Both have their caveats and I use a combination of both. It levels the playing field far more than wasting money on yet another set of cans, amps, etc.

If you have the response curve it seriously helps getting them tweaked out. To actually measure cans is quite complex and a very steep learning curve is required to maximize their usefulness.

I would suggest shooting for the classic BBC curve where the frequency response is flat to about 2kHz and then drops by 2dB at 20kHz. This reflects the natural shading done by the shape of the head in the evolution of mankinds hearing processes. Also known as HRTF eg Head Related Transfer Function ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

Additionally a dip in the response between 2kHz and 4kHz of about 1.5- 2dB helps. This is the most critical part of our hearing range. With these tweaks done properly headphones sound more like speakers eg like reality.

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 12
Greebster,

I wouid agtee that adjustments to the EQ can make positive effects. The MH40's have responded well to my subtle adjustments to keep the low ejd from being too boomy. Although! I am personally one who doesnt like to mess aroujd too much. I think the issue with the high end sparkle Zrocket is explaining is the rolloff plus imaging of the headphones. While the soindstage is not very wide, it is just wide enough feeling. Due to the lake of spacious seperarion, the trebled is rolled off to compensate.

Zrocket,

Ive beej doing some research on similar signature headphones and I cake across the Final Audio Design Sonorous IV's. They have a similar Frequency response ( found the IV's on innerfidelity ) with a similar bump past 100 hz and a hump at 1000. The big difference in the two are the MH40s dip around 500 ahere the IVs do not have a U shaped dip there. Ive also read that the IV's also have quite a larger soundstage and more detailed highs. This may be something for you to consider, like myself. Ive emailed them to underatajd their signatute a little more becasuse info on this headphone is limited.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 12
This has nothing to do with sound but build. How is the build quality holding up and what color did you go with? The tan ones look exquisite. Curious if people have commented to you on how nice they look.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 12
This has nothing to do with sound but build. How is the build quality holding up and what color did you go with? The tan ones look exquisite. Curious if people have commented to you on how nice they look.
Mine are holding up really well. I honestly don't use them too much anymore, but I haven't had any problems. I have the alcantara version and there is a little bit of fade happening to the material which I expected. The leather versions won't have this issue.

I mostly wear mine when it's warmer when I'm skating or cruising around, so not a lot of people comment on them. But the people that I've showed them to really liked their build and look.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks. The MH30 are on sale for $199 and the 40’s for $299 at Bestbuy. My budget is $300 and am looking for a good closed back portable I can commute and use at work. These look great which is important as I don’t want some oversized odd and ugly cans that may sound the best. I want good looks and sound but not sure if I can get better than these for the price range. I just want an all around pair of headphones. I’ve been wireless for a couple of years and have tried most of the top Bluetooth sets but feel their sound quality isn’t yet on par with wired unless you spend over three hundred. I just returned my Sennheiser 550 as the sound wasn’t great.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 12
You could find a pair of Oppo PM-3s for that price if you wanted something to compare. The PM-3s are more neutral, are more comfortable and isolate well. But the two sound different for sure. The 40s are certainly a more fun spending headphone with a downward slope, but lack the resolve the PM-3s have. However, the 40s are a more punchy and dynmaic.

What kind of sound signature do you prefer?

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 12
You could find a pair of Oppo PM-3s for that price if you wanted something to compare. The PM-3s are more neutral, are more comfortable and isolate well. But the two sound different for sure. The 40s are certainly a more fun spending headphone with a downward slope, but lack the resolve the PM-3s have. However, the 40s are a more punchy and dynmaic.

What kind of sound signature do you prefer?
I’m a total noob to audio technology and verbiage. I listen to a lot of classical, jazz, choral, some alternative and vocals like Sinatra etc.

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 12
I’m a total noob to audio technology and verbiage. I listen to a lot of classical, jazz, choral, some alternative and vocals like Sinatra etc.
Hey no worries bud, from my experience with the two I'll try to help you out as much as I can.

Build/ Comfort:
The Mh-40's and PM-3's are both built well and with good materials (metal, quality construction). The MH-40's are a little smaller which is an advantage for portability, but are not as comfortable as the PM-3's in my opinion. The cups on the 40's tend to swivel freely, where the PM-3's have a more robust swivel mechanism. The headband on the PM-3's are more comfortable and padded. Both have nice earpads, but the MH-40's are more narrow. If you have bigger ears you may find them distracting.

Isolation:
The PM-3's isolate sound better than my alcantara MH-40s. This is because the alcantara material leaks more sound than protein leather. Both would still be good for commuting, but the PM-3's would edge the 40's out in this area.

Portability/ Accessories:
Both are easily portable as they are light and easy to carry. The MH-40's come with a fabric carrying back with a magnetic strip to close the top, and the PM-3's come in a Denim carrying pouch. The denim pouch is more protective.
Both come with two cables or various length where one cable has smartphone controls and microphone. The MH-40's are fabric covered cables where the PM-3's are rubberized. I find the 40's cables a lot easier to manage and put away.

Sound:
Now take this as you will because my impressions are subjective. However, I hope I can explain my findings in a way that helps you in your decision.

MH-40's:
The 40's are a closed back dynamic driver design with quite fun sound signature. The bass/ mid-bass is elevated and the highs are rolled off. The bass/ mid bass will sound warm and full, and drums will have a good punchy thump. I find the bass to be a bit bloated and lacks clarity, but it makes up for it in feeling. Using jazz as an example, bass guitar, double bass and jazz guitars will have a nice full sound. The bottom end of a sax or trumpet will also have a good weight, like you can feel the reverberation off the brass. hats and symbols will sound like they are quieter in the mix since they are rolled off. So they are not fatiguing or bright. I do find unevenness in how the sound of the highs are rendered. Meaning, it just doesnt sound smooth all the time.

The biggest pro of the 40's are how dynamic and full of energy they are. You can feel that the sound has a lot of character, has a thick sound, and its fun to listen to.

The biggest problem with the 40's are that instruments sound compressed and lack detail. What I mean is that for jazz or classical, it will sound like instruments are all being played between the width of your ears, from one to another, and the sound is narrow. It gets a little muddy and can be unenjoyable to try and pick out how an instrument's natural decay or timbre sound.

PM-3's:
The PM-3's are a planar magnetic driver headphone that have a neutral, more flat sound signature. Where the 40's have a thicker, more weighted/ unbalanced sound, the PM-3's are much more refined, controlled and balanced. Planar driver headphones typically are better are reproducing accuracy of instruments and have a tighter, more accurate bass response.

Like the 40's the PM-3's have a laid back and rolled off treble. This makes an easy to listen to experience without fatigue. Unlike the 40's the PM-3's are more detailed, have better imaging, and no bloat. The bass is tight and articulate, but not as bassy or mid bassy as the MH-40's. They will deliver a more accurate representation of the song. Sometimes you may find them bass shy if you like hearing a more full sound. Bass doesn't bleed into the midrange, and instruments sound nice and detailed. Where the MH-40's instrument representation sounds compressed, the PM-3's will do a much better job of letting you hear the placement on an instrument, its characteristics, without being muddy.

The biggest pro of the PM-3's is its neutral/ natural presentation with a tighter bass, smooth, more detailed sound.
The biggest problem with the PM-3's are its small soundstage (think ear to ear), but since the presentation is flatter/ less dynamic, it sounds a little more narrow than the MH-40s

A thing to note about the PM-3's are that, due to being more neutral or flat, some people will find them boring sounding since they don't have the same energetic or dynamic sound of the MH-40's or other dynamic driver headphones. Its really a difference between more fun sounding (MH-40) versus a more articulate sound (PM-3's). For Jazz and classical, I feel like the PM-3's will have a much better midrange and instrument separation.

Another thing to note, the MH-40's will be more easily driven from the headphone out of a smartphone than the PM-3's. Planar magnetic headphones, and what I've heard about the PM-3's, is that they preform better with a more amplification, such as a portable dac/amp or amp.

I'm sorry for this wall of text, but I hope this is helpful to some degree. It would be best to consider which one would be easier to try and return if you didn't like it.

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 12
Thank you. The PM-3 are $100-110 more now that the MH40 and MH30 are both $100 off at Bestbuy. I will probably go with them. I know they’re not open back but I have the 598sr and they sound excellent. Will the MH40 sound as good?

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 12
Thank you. The PM-3 are $100-110 more now that the MH40 and MH30 are both $100 off at Bestbuy. I will probably go with them. I know they’re not open back but I have the 598sr and they sound excellent. Will the MH40 sound as good?

Yeah you would have to get the PM-3s or discounted elsewhere for the same price.

The 40s won't sound as open or airy since the are close. The soundstage is smaller and instruments won't feel as breathable if that makes sense. I haven't heard the 598's, but I think the 40s will have more bass mid bass emphasis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back