MG head vs. Corda HA1
Jun 12, 2002 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Clay

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
What amp would you get the Corda HA 1 with crossfeed or the MG head tube amp without crossfeed. It will go with the HD600 and I do like the sound of tubes. Mostly listen to rock and female vocals.
Thanks,
Clay

edited crossfeed was crossfield - thanks

Jun 12, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 9
Well from your preferences, it seems the MG Head is a good choice for you. The consensus is that they're good with female vocals, rock and have the "tube sound". I own the Corda, which also sounds great with the Senns.

It's crossFEED, by the way.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 9
If you go with the MG Head, be sure to explore all of the cool tube rolling adventures you can have with it!

Jun 13, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 9
Both are awesome amps in their price bracket. I'd say buy both, but since you said "I like the sound of tubes and vocals"... the Head would be your first choice. Don't forget to get a decent set of tubes for it or you might be disappointed.

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 9
It's an OK site I guess but it needs some massive updating. All the gear I've tested and built needs to be put online. Soon... soon...

Personally, I don't need crossfeed, especially when potential tube sweetness is at stake. Some recordings benefit greatly from crossfeed, others less so. If I want a true "out of head" experience, I usually prefer to stick my head between my speakers.

Crossfeed is more of a perk than a necessity, in my opinion. It's good to have, but it shouldn't be the deciding factor in your primary amp selection. Otherwise, all those owners of Ear HP4's, the Orpheus, Earmax Pros, MicroZOTL's, etc would have to throw their amps in the trash, right?
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

How do you deal with the need for crossfeed with the MG head?

My Total Airhead needed xfeed because without it it the sound was dull and lifeless. On MG Head with non-stock tubes I never missed crossfeed.

I think that this whole `blobs-in-the-head` problem is overrated. Your mileage may vary.

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 9
One could always throw an external crossfeed filter box off-board.

This is probably the way to go beacause you can have acrossfeed filter that fits your preferences and have an amp that matches your prefs as well.

A crossfeed doesn't make an amp good but it can enhance your listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back