MG Head tube rollers
Jan 8, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #32 of 88
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
I just popped in a Tung-Sol 5751. With the Tesla JJ EL84's it sounds very, nice. Not warm not bright, just smooth. So far I think this my favorite combo. Upscale Audio recomended a Mullard CV 4004 and Ei EL84's. Might be interesting.

Lextek
tongue.gif

I've never heard the CV4004, but they're a 12AX7A, so I'm not terribly interested - especially given that I've seen them selling for upwards up $100 a pop!!

I have heard that the Ei is a pretty good bang for the buck EL84 though.

Brian.

Jan 8, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #34 of 88
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Actually Upscale Audio has the Mullards for $45-50.

Lextek
smily_headphones1.gif

Well for that price you could find 2 Sylvania Gold Brand 5751s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #35 of 88
OK, its official. I do prefer the Tung Sol 5751 to both the Sylvania black plate JHS/CAA and the Gold Brand 5751s. I'm a soundstage freak, and the Tung Sols are just more open and airy while still having the Sylvania-like forwardness that works so well with Sennheiser cans. Sylvanias are slightly more focused but definitely lack the ambience of the Tung Sols.
smily_headphones1.gif
FWIW

Brian.

Jan 31, 2002 at 11:54 AM Post #36 of 88
I tried three different EL84's: Sovtek, JJ, and Ei. The JJ's and Ei's are both better than the Sovteks. Ei seems to have more bass, but the JJ has slightly cleaner mids/highs. It's hard to tell which is better at this point.

I'm currently using a Svetlana for the 12ax7 socket.

In your opinion, which affects the sound more... the 12ax7 or the EL84 pair?

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #37 of 88
The 5751 (12AX7) :).

Brian.

Jan 31, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #38 of 88
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous

In your opinion, which affects the sound more... the 12ax7 or the EL84 pair?

I agree, the 12AX7/5751. Luckily, it is also more cost effective in this case to roll the driver tubes than the power tubes once you get into NOS (new old stock).

Feb 2, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #40 of 88
My comparison of the Svetlana 12ax7 vs. the JJ ECC83S vs. the ART DI/O's Penta 12ax7a:

(tested with the MG Head OTL in OTL mode, Ei EL84's, HD580's, and Clou blue cable from an ordinary CD source)

Svetlana 12ax7 (from Triode Electronics):

Where did my highs go? Vocals, snare drum hits, and harpsichords sound a bit fuzzy in an unclear, muddy sort of way. Bad. Where's the spark? The energy? The dark character of the Sennheiser 580's seems to accentuate this problem.

Otherwise, the tube does a good job with bass and midrange notes, making the lower octaves sound satisfyingly full. This tube throbs with low-end vitality. I like that.

Of the three, the Svetlana is the most microphonic of the bunch. If I tap the case, or the DESK for that matter, I can easily hear it. I guess this can happen with tubes from any company, so it matters little.

JJ ECC83S (stock tube w/MG Head OTL):

The JJ is the Yin to the Svetlana's Yang. They are total opposites. Female vocals and high notes have enough sizzle required to deliver satisfying snap. BUT... the midrange is murk-city. The notes tend to run together and flatten out. Bass is noticeably weaker, too.

Overall, the JJ's presentation seems like an improvement over the Svetlana at first because the highs initally stand out. This quickly becomes boring due to the lack of bass and midrange punch. It's a tad lifeless. Too dull for me. My girlfriend noticed too.

Penta Labs 12ax7a (pulled from my ART DI/O):

Hey you ART-heads... try sticking that spare tube in your MG! The Penta is a re-labeled Chinese tube that actually sounds OK. It's the compromising middle child of the bunch: highs that snap, mids that don't run together, and bass that almost keeps things interesting... almost.

OTL vs. transformer...

I used to agree with the general consensus that transformer w/no feedback sounded best. After spending a week with the MG, I find myself plugging into the OTL jack 99% of the time.

Wrapup:

With my equipment, all of these tubes are lacking. The Svetlana narrowly beats the Penta for first place, but that isn't saying much. Each of these tubes falls short in at least one critical way. I'll try some 5751's as soon as possible. Actually, I bought most of acidtripwow's remaining stash. Updates to follow.

Concerning the EL84's...

The Ei EL84's and JJ EL84's are almost totally interchangeable to my ears. The Ei's *slightly* favor bass octaves and the JJ's *slightly* favor the high notes. Because of this, the JJ's sound best when mated with the Svetlana. They help the Svetlana make the most of its limited top end.

Whether you select the Ei or JJ EL84's, you can't go wrong. Both are better than the stock Sovtek tubes.

Feb 8, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #42 of 88
Forget those 12ax7's... they all suck. The Svetlana is fuzzy, the JJ's are boring, and the Penta lacks excitement. It's too thin, after all.

I need some 5751's.... and maybe new cans, too.

Feb 9, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #43 of 88
Nick, you really should check out the Mullard CV4004 with transformer output. I tried the Some premium grade JAN 5751 from upscale and they seemed to roll of the upper midrange too much with OPTs.

Feb 17, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #45 of 88
Let me make this perfectly clear:

BRIANTF27 IS 100% CORRECT: ALL OWNERS OF THE MG HEAD AND MG HEAD OTL MUST IMMEDIATELY YANK ANY 12AX7's AND REPLACE THEM WITH 5751's. DO NOT WAIT. DO THIS NOW.

Briantf27, I'll be publicly thanking you on my website on the MG Head tube rolling page. My research findings match yours: The 5751 tube is VASTLY superior to the 12AX7. In fact my best 12ax7 is utterly blown away by my worst 5751.

(Thanks for the tubes, acidtripwow. They arrived just in time for the meeting.)

Joe Lau... your MG Head OTL amp is wonderful. With a 5751 tube, it becomes something amazing. I love it. I have no more cravings for a Melos SHA-1. Seriously. If I were you, I'd start shipping the MG Head with 5751's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back