MG Head reliability?
Jun 23, 2002 at 9:02 AM Post #17 of 21
no problem here /w mine.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #19 of 21
Probably this week or the next. I tell you, it's great that Joe works at improving his amp, but it just gets under my skin when I finally get what I think is the latest one and he's out saying that he's got an improved version out. The guys at the store don't really keep their finger on the pulse of ASL products. Hmmm, maybe I'll just keep it boxed up and see if Divergent will exchange for the new version. I tried removing the NFB loop before, but the resultant hum drove me insane and despite my best efforts, I couldn't get it rid of it. This is the only reason why I'm caught up on the newer one since it'll probably guarantee that I won't have the problem this time around. I'm kinda obsessive compulsive about noise.

Jun 23, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #20 of 21
I've had mine almost a year and it may just be the finest bang for buck unit I've ever bought. It is dead quiet. Heck I even bought a 1/4 pin to RCA adapter and use it as a preamp for My Stereophile Class B rated Arcam Delta 290.

The MG head is an improvement over the humming preamp section of the Arcam...and it offers up a much smoother midband. A little less bass response by my speakers have a fairly deep bottom end anyway.

The Sugden may indeed be better, but then it is nearly 3 times the price.

If the Head does not work send it back...that is what a warranty is for...if you get it from a dealer...they should be the ones shipping it...and it should cost you nothing.

ASL may have some QC problems, but the alternative is to go with the Grado RA1 or Creek offerings or the MUsical Fidelity X Cans.

Personnally I'd take the risk, no gaurantees with those others and they all sound inferior IMO.

Jun 24, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #21 of 21
My latest ordeal was with my dealer. I was misinformed of the upgrade policy by an employee. I knew that the MG Head OTL was coming out last winter, but I didn't know exactly when. So, I thought that when I bought my DT back in November, I could simply turn it in and upgrade, no questions asked. Apparently, the policy was that I would have to buy a significant purchase as well along with the upgrade. So I just got through talking to the guy and convincing him to take it back and have three demo amps lying around. I don't want to have to try and do this to the guy again. Which is why I guess if the new version is coming out in short time, I'll see if I can exchange an unopened unit with Divergent Technologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back