MG Head Question
Nov 1, 2001 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ethan

New Head-Fier
I occasionally have trouble with sound through the left channel from the MG Head. I can "wiggle" the left channel tube and usually get sound. I assume there isn't a real good connection. Is there a way to improve the connection and avoid my left channel from breaking in and out?
Thanks,
Ethan

Nov 1, 2001 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 6
I had the same problem, never found a solution. Maybe somebody else?

Nov 1, 2001 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 6
I have close to the same problem. If I wiggle the pre-tube the sound comes back. I put in a new socket and seems to do better. But one channel seems to play slightly louder than the other. I need a new amp.

Nov 1, 2001 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Is this a common problem with tube amps or does it have more to do with the specific amp? This is my first tube amp and I love the sound. I would certainly pay more for a higher end tube amp, if I wasn't going to have these problems.

Nov 1, 2001 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 6
I have this amp and have had no trouble thus far...I've only had it a month though.

If it is under warranty then have it repaired...it sounds as thought one of the tube sockets is not making appropriate contact with the internal wiring...which is likely why when you jiggle it you get better or worse sound. There should be a 5 year warranty on this unit...so get them to fix it...the parts quality are good...not the best but for $250.00 they are far better than most 2k Receivers would provide...and even those receivers don't have such troubles.

Remember ASL is a smaller comnpany with smaller production lines and are likely looser on quality controls...after all this costs more money. Shipping could have wiggled something out of place?? the reasons are irrelevant ... if it's under warranty have it repaired...sounds like a very minor issue.l

Nov 2, 2001 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 6
It seem to be our wrong ! Due to this amp have a tube cage and 6BQ5 and 12AX7 is not big in size. We had been put the tube on sockets when shipping. It may be cause the damage on tube sockets. We have no such problem on other model use same tube sockets. We also use the good quality solder. (We use Alpha metak brand 63/37 Solder. It is the best solder in industrial area. (Except audio field may be use solder contacin Silver).

It may be can Fixed it by tighten the sockets pins by some tools or replace the sockets. Caution - It should be unplug it from POwer for 20 Minite or more to avoid shock. (Actullay around 3 Minute will discharge it all but it only for safety).
You also can try to clean up the tubes Pins. It also may cuase same problem.

Or you can consider send it back for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back