MG Head Problem
Feb 11, 2002 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fbleagh

Head-Fier
I have an MGHeadDT and one channel has died
frown.gif

Ive traced back and the source is fine and so it the cable.
I tried swapping the 2 large tube ( el?? ) and they both work.
I opened it up, and couldn'r see any broken connections.

the channel thats not working is the right hand and the socket looks a bit dirty. Is there and easy way to clen it or am i better off replacing it.

any ideas / help ?

Feb 12, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 7
My MG Head amp also had a dead right channel. I traced it using an ohmmeter to a bad solder connection between a capacitor and the PC board. This was the coupling cap between the 12AX7 and the EL84. If you find the same type of problem, you could try heating the leads of the component with a soldering iron. You may have to remove the PC bard and re-solder from the bottom. This is a pain with this amp. It's interesting that several people have complained of a dead right channel with this amp. Good luck.

Feb 12, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 7
I just heated up the bad lead on the cap, pulled that side up and soldered it to the lead of the resistor it's supposed to be connected to. Sort of a point to point wiring. Worked for me. No board removal. The trick is to figure out which lead. Prodding and jumpering helps.

Feb 18, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks Guys,

I fixed it
smily_headphones1.gif

It ended up being a cracked soldr joint on the headphone socket.
reflowed it and boom i had my music back
smily_headphones1.gif

but unfortunately before i could listen to it we hada 16hr blackout
frown.gif

havin to write this from work casue my cable at home is still out 2 days later - ughh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back