MG Head owners - What's your best sounding tube combination?
Jun 27, 2001 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

reynman

500+ Head-Fier
I recently bought some tubes and so far the best sounding tube combo is the Mullard cv4004 and the Ei (Yugo) El84s. Better bass, a bit more detail than the stock JJs/Sovteks. I believe Wing used this combo at the Bay Area Headwizers Meeting.

Regards - reynman

Jun 27, 2001 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 15
reynman, I also use the Ei El84s and I've tried the Mullard. However, to my ears, the 12AX7 I pulled from one of my Dynaco pre-amps is similar in sound, but provides a tad more detail. It's labeled "Dyanco Made in West Germany" .......I've read conflicting reports as to who actually manufactured this tube. Somewhere it said it's a Telefunken, but I recently found a posting on another site (AudioAsylum I think) which said it was manufactured by Siemens. Anyway, I really like it.

Jun 27, 2001 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 15
joelongwood,

Up late again! When I went tube crazy two weeks ago, I saw a preamp which, by the looks of it pre-dated me (all 33 years of me!). Inside there were a pair of Telefunken 12AX7s. I was ready to buy them but the manager said he would have to talk to the owner. Alas, nothing has transpired yet!

Thanks again for the Upgrado advice!

Regards - reynman

Jun 27, 2001 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 15
reynman, I can stay up all night now........10 weeks off!!!
biggrin.gif

33 years ago is when I built the Dynaco pre amp I took the tube out of.........and it's still good!

Jun 27, 2001 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 15
Actually the tubes I used for the meeting, which is my favorite combination, is the Mullard CV4004 and the stock El84s (Valve Art, I think). Sounds the most natural, neutral and full to me. I think I may put my other NOS tubes up for sale or trade when I get a chance.

Jun 27, 2001 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 15
I'm still casting about for the perfect combo -- I've got about six brands of NOS 6BQ5/EL84 pairs, and at least as many 12AX7's and 5751's.

I like my tube amps to be detailed and sweet, with good pace and big, fat body. (Smack me, but the appropriate adjectives are not easy to come up with, no?)

I gave up on the 12AX7 family quickly; they seemed to me to have flabby body instead of a big fat sound. Too mushy. The Telefunken is the best of the group I tried. I could live with the Telefunken -- it's reasonably detailed and sweet, but it falls down a little in the pace & body department. In the interest of full disclosure, I should say I have not tried the Mullard.

Then I started trying the 5751's, with much more success. Cheapo GE double-micas were as good as most 12AX7's I tried, except the Telefunken. GE greyplate triple-mica's were much better. They got all the adjectives going at once. Then I got Tung Sol (double mica), Raytheon (double mica/windmill getter with black plates, labeled Westinghouse) and GE black plate triple-mica's. These are at a whole different level. I'm rolling these three around as the mood strikes me.

I'll get serious about the EL84's once I settle on the leading 5751. Right now, I'm happiest with Amperex, but I can't be sure. RCA, Sylvania, Zenith, and CBS are sounding pretty good too.

If I had to stop rolling right now, I'd use the GE black plate triple mica with Amperex EL84's.

Jun 28, 2001 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 15
I went the cheap route and got some current production tubes... Ei El84s and a Svetlana 12AX7, much more airer and detailed than the stock tubes... only costed me $30 too
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2001 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 15
Chych,

Where did you get the Svetlanas?

Regards - reynman

Jun 29, 2001 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 15
My best tube combination was a Raytheon 5751 w/ a matched pair of Sylvania BP 6BQ5s. Admittedly it was my only NOS combination, but it was much better than the stock tubes. Videoshielded has them now, he can comment further.

Jun 29, 2001 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 15
dh got it right on the first try. This is not the only combination I listen to, but it's in the top drawer with the best of 'em.

But, I like my music detailed and sweet with good pace and a big fat body. YMMV.

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #13 of 15
Well, five years later with the Mk III, the Sylvania BP and Raytheon combo is close to on top of the heap for Grado SR125--the Syls are a touch dark with the Senns. While I did not think so at first, Telfunken EL84s are even better. I find this with the Grado SR125 (OTL mode best) and Sennheiser HD-580 (OTC much better). With the Senns, GE EL84 are also excellent, but too bright with Grados. Sylvania 5751 3M-BP ('50s) may even be better than the Raytheons, but only in midrange--better bass and highs with Rays.

Jun 4, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #14 of 15
I think what works real good with the Beyer 880 and Senns is a set of RCAs nos grey plate tubes with a Bugle Boy 12AU7 in the middle very fine tube and belive me I have tried all the others.These Bugle Boys are some fine tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back