MG Head OTL
Dec 23, 2001 at 8:21 PM Post #31 of 95
I just checked that site and I don't see the MG Head OTL either. It lists the MG Head DT but I don't see the OTL version.
confused.gif

Dec 23, 2001 at 9:00 PM Post #32 of 95
The OTL wasn't supposed to be out til after the first of the year, but they had a Head shortage. They probaly just need to update their site.

Bob
cool.gif

Dec 24, 2001 at 1:13 AM Post #33 of 95
Anybody else with the new OTL getting a slight hum between tracks? I hear it when plugged into the headphone jack and switch in the OTL postion. I don't believe it was there before. It doesn't seem to be there when plugged into the OTL jack.

Bob
confused.gif

Dec 24, 2001 at 3:17 AM Post #35 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
Anybody else with the new OTL getting a slight hum between tracks? I hear it when plugged into the headphone jack and switch in the OTL postion.

Yes, I get the hum too. Both in OTL/Headphone and Trans/Headphone, but it's less noticeable in Trans/Headphone.

Also, with the Etymotic 4S in OTL/Headphone, I can hear a weak AM radio station if I turn the volume knob up past 12 o'clock. (My amp is *not* hooked up to a tuner!)

Dec 24, 2001 at 5:11 AM Post #36 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by MirandaX

Yes, I get the hum too. Both in OTL/Headphone and Trans/Headphone, but it's less noticeable in Trans/Headphone.

Also, with the Etymotic 4S in OTL/Headphone, I can hear a weak AM radio station if I turn the volume knob up past 12 o'clock. (My amp is *not* hooked up to a tuner!)

Sounds like you got the bonus amp with a free tuner included!
wink.gif

Perhaps you should consider a tempest-proof room to use it in.

Dec 26, 2001 at 9:19 AM Post #37 of 95
i just bought an mg-head from headroom about 3 weeks ago and it took until now to ship. i haven't picked it up yet, but i'm wondering if it is the new OTL version. i paid $330, which sounds about right.

are the photos on the headroom site old? i can't see an OTL output or "feedback switch" that people keep talking about.

did i get the new mg-head?

Dec 26, 2001 at 11:00 AM Post #38 of 95
Yes the photos are old. There is a pretty, good chance they have the OTL. I'm not sure if the regular amp is still aVAILABLE.

Bob
tongue.gif

Dec 26, 2001 at 4:54 PM Post #39 of 95
...but Todd was sold out. He said that he just sent out 12 of the OTL's during the past week or so! Mine will go out when he gets another shipment. Looks like I will no longer be amp-less! HOORAY!!

I will also post another comprehensive tube rolling review on www.nikolai.org... er... strike that... www.nickdangerous.com. Nobody could spell Nikolai correctly anyway.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 26, 2001 at 6:27 PM Post #40 of 95
My MG Head arrived by FedEx this AM. I ordered mine through Headroom. I haven't unpacked the box since I still have to get it home but the "manual" - consisting of some sheets of paper inserted in plastic term paper cover - is a bit lacking and has to be folded over to fit in the box. The good part so far is that the diagram shows an "OTL" RCA jack. I guess the impedence switch is gone.

Questions: What tubes did yours come with?

What are you doing to "burn it in"?

A further report to follow.

Dec 27, 2001 at 1:47 PM Post #42 of 95
Well I got the MG Head fired up last night!!!

I got two Sovteks and one JJ tube. However it was not until after I installed them that I realized that the boxes are marked to be installed in particular sockets. I do not know whether they are installed correctly but it seems to me that the tubes are identical so does it really make any difference? Okay, I'm an idiot.

I used solid oxygen free AR cables with gold RCA sockets. I let it burn in for 4 hours before really listening critically. At that point I was A - B my Grado 325's and the Senn HD600's between the Sony 560 output and the amplifier. So far, not much to report using my customary mix of music (Mira, Love Spirals Downwards etc). The Senn's seemed to benefit more from the amp even though I have found them to effectively be as efficient as the 325's which runs counter to what you generally hear.

Then I threw in a LaserLight CD of harpsicord music. I used the Senn's and had the amp set to OTL and used the OTL plug. WOW!
I played that CD three times in a row, each time catching sounds I never heard before. The sound was balanced and rich - much like a live performance. Much better than just using the player output.

I can't tell you much else except that one CD that sounded muddy had fallen into my son's hands and had fingerprints on it - can anyone recommend a CD cleaner? - I eagerly await another chance this evening.

Incidentally I have not had any problem with any hum as has been mentioned. The space between tracks was dead silent.

I'm very pleased so far. Further reports to follow.

Dec 27, 2001 at 2:10 PM Post #43 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by franktalk
...I realized that the boxes are marked to be installed in particular sockets. I do not know whether they are installed correctly but it seems to me that the tubes are identical so does it really make any difference?

If the tubes are of the same variety, then they can go into either socket for which it was intended. However, the input tube (the smaller one) needs to go in the middle, hence . As to which of the outer go where, it shouldn't really matter once you bias them, and you probably should anyway since you bought it via mailorder.

So, you listen to LSD, huh? Have you heard the new one yet? I haven't even seen it, yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back