MG Head OTL Tube Rolling experience
May 24, 2002 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JeffKiel

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know if it is appropriate to start a new thread, but the other is a bit ungainly, so I decided to make a command decision. The pack is on it's way to NY, NY.

Observations from the Dangerous Tube Roller Pack

Setup:
Denon DCM-370
Straightwire Interconnects
MG Head OTL (OTL Jack, Feedback Off)
Sennheiser HD600

Tubes:
JJ EL84 Power Tubes
Da DTR Pack
Westinghouse 12AX7A/5751

Music:
Singer/songwriter types (JT, Billy Joel, Elton John, Jackson Brown); Jazz/Fusion (MF, Steely Dan, etc.); Rock (Queen, Kansas)

Not a very sophisticated lineup, but there are some interesting issues in some of these disks that some tubes handled very well (clean up dullness, give some bass support, etc.) and some failed on.

The Tubes:
Westinghouse 12AX7A/5751
This is my everyday preamp tube. I think it is a GOOD (not great) tube in that it has some very nice features (soundstage, clarity, etc.) but after hearing the others, I can see that there are some areas for improvement.

Arcturus 5751
Very nice detail in the whole spectrum, from the sizzle on the highs to the resonance of the bass. It is a little narrow in the soundstage, as others have commented (it never really gets out of your head and can get a little busy in complicated sections), and it might be a tad on the harsh/bright side, but in general a very nice tube.

Sylvania 12AU7
Pretty low in the gain department and slightly less veiled than stock, but generally uninspiring.

Tung-Sol 5751
Medium gain with a very smooth sound (ie nothing is noticeably rolled off), but the sound lacked depth to me. It sounded like I was looking at a picture whereas others were like looking at the real thing. This is probably a mid to high loss, but I am not an audiophile
wink.gif

G.E. 5693
I found this tube to be a bit unexciting. It didn't have any glaring problems, but no real strengths either.

ITT 7025
This is a surprisingly nice tube! The gain is pretty normal and it has really nice detail! The reverb is a little over accentuated, but I can stand it for the detail! Bass is a little lacking (no real thump on kick drum).

Sylvania 5751
Pretty high gain on this one with a very open sound. There seemed to be a slight roll off on the lower end, but it is a very musical sounding tube.

My rankings of the DTRP are:

1) Sylvania 5751
2) Arcturus 5751
2) ITT 7025
4) Westinghouse 12AX7A/5751
5) Tung-Sol 5751
6) GE 5693
7) Sylvania 12AU7

May 25, 2002 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Thanks for posting a review. I hope it was fun!

Quote:

1) Sylvania 5751
2) Arcturus 5751
2) ITT 7025
4) Westinghouse 12AX7A/5751
5) Tung-Sol 5751
6) GE 5693
7) Sylvania 12AU7

Wow, look at that. The Arcturus placed #2 on your list! I guess if I sold the tubes from the THSP you'd be interested in it, right?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back