MG head OTL question...
Jan 28, 2003 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

archosman

Songs From The Crystal Cave
I just got mine today from an eBay sale. I noticed on the sales board that a MG-Head DT has some sort of cage around the tubes. This pic is not my amp.
mgheaddt-front.jpg

My OTL doesn't have one. Is that normal for the OTL or am I missing a part? Thanks.

Jan 28, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Yea, mine doesnt have a tube cover either. Im hoping dust accumulation will not get in and screw up the contacts on the tubes... Probably wont... I think the cover is generally so you dont bump into the tubes and bend the pins or something.. As well as dust. But its not a neccesity. The amp will be fine without it.. and looks much cooler. Just keep it dusted off.

Jan 28, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 8
With ASL gear, there's usually an extra charge for the tube cage. Some place will include that price in the total and others will offer it as an option.

Jan 28, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 8
The tube cage doesn't really keep dust out, as it has large openings in it. It does help protect the tubes from accidental damage, or theft--my MG Head is in my cubicle at work, so the cage makes it a bit harder to commit a uh, tube-napping.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if the cage also helps with RFI/EMI shielding, since it's a metal cage.

KJP

Jan 28, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
well, anyway... if anyone wants one, let me know.

and no, the tube cage won't keep out dust. it's just there to keep hands/objects off from those hot and potentially dangerous tubes.

Dibs on the tube cage!!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 28, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm pretty jazzed I finally got it. Got a fantastice JMT Meta 42 last week as well. Had a bit of a cold as of late so can't hear all that well yet...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back