MG Head OLT problems
Jun 18, 2002 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

grancasa

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I've done my searching and haven't found any advice on my problem. What happens is I hear a "crackling/scrathcy" sound as I turn the volume pot. The sound is not there when the pot is not moving, and when I take out tubes the sound is not there. Could it be a bad center tube? Any other suggestions? I'll be ordering some 5751's to roll right away, so I hope that will cure the problem. Thanks

Jun 18, 2002 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 5
Since you have noise only when turning the pot it is most likely a buildup of dirt and/or oxides on the contacts of the pot. Buy a can of Caig DeoxIt, or a similar product at Radio Shack.

Take off the bottom plate of the amp and spray the pot, rock back and forth to break up the oxides and then spray once more to flush out the oxides.

Jun 18, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 5
From my experience this is a very tube-dependent issue. /me personally doesn't care, because I adjust volume nearly, hm, never, but if this scratching annoys you, try rolling the center tube...

And yes, it's not necessarily a *bad* tube, some of the best (to my ears) of the tubes I have do that too.

Jun 21, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 5
If spraying the pot does not help. Then remember, the only place that fixes MG Heads (ASL products) is in CANADA, which is a pain in the <deleted> . So you may have to live with it, or sell it.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back