MG Head DT/OTL MK III and AKG 701
Jan 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

drjjpdc

New Head-Fier
Being new to the website and I am already contemplating a headphone amp! I purchased a pair of 701's and they sound very good new, if it's true they sound better with a long break-in, I can't wait to hear how much better they will sound. I am used to listening to a product before making a purchase. How much should I worry about the high out impedance of the ASL in OTL mode (one of the reasons to buy this amp) with the AKG 701? The difference is not small but almost 10x the impedance of the 701's (62 vs 600). I am not usually a numbers guy, but will there be enough oomph in OTL mode? I am not locked into an OTL amp but I do want tubes. Other choices were Cayin (any noise issues), Woo WA6 or 6SE, and a used SP mpx3. Any other amps please free to mention. Thanks.

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi

I haven't heard the K701 so I didn't comment before, but the ASL MG Head DT/OTL MKIII is an amp I briefly heard and enjoyed. Many members here feel it is a very capable amp and well worth the money. Perhaps check through the several pages of the ASL amp's tube rolling thread to see if any K701 users have posted impressions.

Depending on what type of sound you are looking for, people with amp experience can guide you towards the right amp. The ASL is a lush sounding amp which might pair well with the K701 to give it more body and smoothness, whereas the WA6SE is perhaps more clean and precise in a solid state fashion, with more subtle tube smoothness.
It all depends what kind of music you listen to and what type of sonic presentation you want from your amp, as well as your budget.

Hope that helps.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for your input. I am assuming your comments relate to the regular output and not the OTL side of the amp. I've been told that the 600 ohms from the OTL side is a headphone killer as far as sound goes.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Well I own this amp and the K701. I really like the Sennheiser HD580s with the amp, especially in OTL mode BTW. However, I did not really enjoy the K701s with my ASL much. I may be the only one so I would wait for other comments, but to me I found the Heed Canamp to be much livelier with the K701s. They also had a deeper bass and more detail? I believe that was also an issue, the last time i used that combo was a while ago. Anyway, I really enjoy the Heed Canamp with the K701s. It runs about the same price of the ASL, but it is Solid State. I know you said you want tubes, and I usually think that way too, but I really like this SS Amp.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 9
havent heard the amp you ask about. but head direct ef-1 hybrid amp does well with my akg 701s. its my understanding that all tube amps dont generally do well with 701, not enough current.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 9
But MG Head OTL MKIII has both OTL/transformer output and the transformer output can provide enough current for the AKG 601/701.

And I asked someone in ASL and he said both outputs can drive 601/701 well.

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 9
I thought it was a good combo, but the MG head can be a bit gritty compared to the Woo6 and Singlepower. I tried both OTL and transformer and for the life of me can't remember which one I liked with the K701 better. It's been awhile since I sold them off.

I know the Senn HD600 sounded better with the OTL and the Grado RS-1 sounded better with the transformer.

I used RCA "black plate" tubes in mine.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 9
for my K601, I think the OTL has better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back