MG Head DT CDV
Jul 31, 2001 at 4:04 AM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

They've been offering the "complete with tube cage and detachable cord" package for a few weeks now. I wonder if this is what you have heard about. Prior to that the cage was an option and the cord was attached.

My MG Head is about 6 months old.......no cage......but detachable cord. Go figure.
confused.gif

Jul 31, 2001 at 4:08 AM Post #17 of 42
I bought mine less than 2 months ago. No cage, attached cord, clicking volume control.

The guy at the store told me he'd just recieved that shipment 2 days before. The North American distributer is only 1 1/2 hours away by car.

Who knows what's really going on?

Jul 31, 2001 at 4:21 AM Post #18 of 42
Yeah, mine has the clicking volume control.....and i just checked the cord to make sure.....it's detachable.
I'm getting the feeling that they're using whatever parts are readily available at the time of manufacture. Not exactly confidence inspiring. Sounds damned good, though.
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2001 at 3:10 PM Post #19 of 42
Ewwwwe! Clicking volume pot?!?! Yucko! Hopefully that is part of my $80 upgrade!!

Will report as soon as it arrives.

Jul 31, 2001 at 4:04 PM Post #21 of 42
briantf27,
Divergent was previouly asking $60.00 alone for the tube cage upgrade on their site. So that additional $20.00 would account for the resistor/cap upgrade.

Jul 31, 2001 at 5:11 PM Post #23 of 42
Cool. $80 aint bad then, if I get decent caps and 1% resistors. I sure hope that stepper volume control is aced too. Also, the detachable power cord is there, which will be useful... Pics to come.

Jul 31, 2001 at 5:29 PM Post #25 of 42
Have a digicam? Care to crack your unit open and take some shots of the circuitry?

Brian.

Jul 31, 2001 at 5:47 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
I kinda like the clicking volume control. It doesn't seem to affect the sound at all. Just has detents.

The better the pot, the better the sound. Stepper controls are not what you find in "high end" gear. If they upgraded the volume pot (something you could do too), it probably would have an effect on sound quality, just as caps and resistors can. Remember, your entire signal goes through that pot...

Brian.

Jul 31, 2001 at 5:49 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
I kinda like the clicking volume control. It doesn't seem to affect the sound at all. Just has detents.

Have you ever found that you wanted the volume set somewhere between two adjacent detents?
smily_headphones1.gif
Just curious. That'd annoy me in the extreme.

Brian.

Jul 31, 2001 at 5:57 PM Post #30 of 42

"If they upgraded the volume pot (something you could do too), it probably would have an effect on sound quality"

That's true as long as the new non-clicking volume pot was indeed an upgrade. I'm sure there are good non-clickers and bad non-clickers. It would help if we knew what brand/model the two different pots are in the MG Head.

"Have you ever found that you wanted the volume set somewhere between two adjacent detents? "

It's never been an issue for me. The clicks are close together and the volume change between clicks isn't huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back