MG Head DT as a preamp...A success!!!
Dec 3, 2001 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

RGA

100+ Head-Fier
Those considering an entry level tube pre amp might want to consider the MG Head.
I went out and purchased a 1/4 pin to RCA Jack adapter and connected the Head to my Arcam Delta 290 integrated.

The tube are all Russian Sovteks...the pre amp tube being the value conscious 12AX7LPS. Which I find better than the JJ Teslas or the Ei Yugos.

How did it sound?

Well, I'm not sure that it's an improvement over the preamp section of the Arcam but it does offer a different flavour. The mid and highs are much more open(which I didn't expect) and offers a bit more depth. Bass was much lighter with the Head...but oddly the bass was also faster...the slight hum of the Arcam dissapeared when using the Head as preamp...that also surprised me. For classical or non bass heavy music I actually prefer the Head and Arcam as straight power amp. Unfortuneately, due to the odd internal switching of the Arcam(thanks for the tip Paul etc on this) I have to remove the cover in order to switch from integrated to separate.

Another note: due to the sensitivity of the speakers the sound gets very loud at the 9 o'clock position...Even 8 is too loud for late night listening.

Now you should note that my room is horrible right now 11X9 and my speakers(95db sensitive Horn Wharfedales) were meant for mid to large sized rooms.

Still. I was very impressed with how well this headphone amp handles itself as a preamp...mating it with something like the Wave 8s might be a real treat...one that costs under $500.00...Converting the Head to the OTL version may bring back that bass response and make this the FIND audio set-up out there

Dec 3, 2001 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 3
Darkclouds...

Works with either one...I guess the smaller socket is the 1/8 jack. I bought a basic gold plated Headphone to RCA jack cable $30.00CDN at radioshack...Voila...that simple. Then to the power amp out on the Integrated(which means the Integrated acts as the power amp).

I now have a pseudo Hybrid Tube/Solid State amp. COOOOOL
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back