MG Head as Pre-Amp?
Nov 4, 2002 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Mark Monroe

New Head-Fier
Can a person take the front headphone output from an MG Head DT, use the appropriate cable, and use this source as a pre-amp to standard amp?

I have read the archives and still dont have a clear understanding as to whether it will work and if so if there are any drawbacks or problems.

I would really like to use my headphone setup to pipe directly into a setup for speakers rather than buy a "real" pre-amp and so forth.

Many thanks,

Mark

Nov 5, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 2
Yes, I did this for a while. If you have the newer OTL version of the MG Head, the transformer output can be directly connected to a power amp. The sound is very romantic, and the bass isn't too bad, though the highs are a bit rolled off (this may be good if you have harsh speakers). The OTL output needs to have an attenuator wired in; if you hook it up directly to your power amp you'll risk frying it. I wired in a 100 kOhm stereo pot and adjusted it to my liking. The OTL output used as a preamp is a lot faster and brighter than the transformer output.

That said, you probably won't be satisfied with either setup. I wasn't. It looks kind of silly and you can get better sound with a dedicated preamp, or even none at all (i.e. a passive preamp). If you're going to go to the trouble of wiring up a wire with an attenuator to use with the OTL output, you might as well put it in a box and use it as a passive preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back