MG Head and HD600s
Feb 2, 2004 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ogrejelly

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have experience with the MG Head and HD-600? If so from what sources and how did it sound?

Feb 2, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 8
There is lots of information about the MG Head and the HD-600. Search the forum archive and you should find what you are looking for.

Feb 2, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 8
Never understimate the power of teh search funcion!
evil_smiley.gif

Great headphones + Great amp = Great sound.

Anyhow, search the forum and you will find lots of info on this combo.

Feb 2, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 8
I own this combo and simply love it. I love the sound of string instruments - guitar, mandolin, sitar, violin and the vocals coming out of this combo. Bass is decent too.

You may want to do some tube rolling as lot of people have observed that the stock tubes don't sound as well. I bought mine which already had upgraded tubes. There are couple of them on sale in the 'Gear for Sale/Trade' forum. In fact there is someone who is selling the combo. Bottom line you can't go wrong with this combo - at this budget. As others mentioned, there is lot of info in previous posts. Enjoy the music!

Feb 2, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks Suharsh for the comments. Do you think the MG Head is also good for electronica type music (Massive Attack, Shpongle, Thievery Corporation)

Meaning is bass deep and thick? You mention winds and strings and I am wondering if this is more of a classical style amp?

Feb 2, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Ogrejelly - I am not a lover of bass at all and therefore I prefer phones like the AKG1000 and Stax. The reason I like Senn 600's is because they are balanced and cover the entire spectrum pretty well - the bass in the Senn's/MGHead is to my liking, anything more and I would discard them. I will strongly urge you to give them an audition before you decide to buy them or reject them.

Another headphone that handles bass - and something that you will probably like - is SBCHP890 by Philips. The bass is just amazing - it is almost you have two subwoofers next to your ears! - well maybe a little exaggerated but certainly the bass is much more prominent than other headphones that I have heard.

.. so for me the bass of HD600 / MGHead is good enough but is it (bass) good enough for you - maybe not. But again I don't want my liking to drive your decision - because I always believe any personal opinion is always biased. Try them if you can.

Feb 2, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Here is a picture of the Philips - they look beautiful. But remember beauty is just skin deep, they say ...

----------------------------------------------------------

unrelated to the topic under discussion.

How do I paste an image that it shows up as a part of the message? Now it shows up as an attachment but I have seen other posts where the images are part of the message!

Feb 3, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks Suharsh for your input and spending the time to answer. I think I am close to making a move on the MG Head. Of course I just found the Headroom Little on Ebay, which has always sparked my interest.

Additionally a fellow Head-Fi member wrote: "I've owned an MG Head and a headroom supreme at two different points... The MG Head just didn't have the detail and speed I want when i'm listening to music. It had this lush, but un-authoritative sound. Absolutely no prat. It muddied up all of the recordings and imposed too much of its own sonic signature to the recordings. "

-TimSchirmer

This has me wavering a touch because I'm wondering if my musical tastes for Electronica (which I love clean and neat) is well suited for tube amps? I know nothing so I'm just speculating but I may post a few more questions on the board after I search my butt off. (Don't want to get flamed)

Thanks again for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back