MF V-DAC v. Benchmark DAC-1
Apr 9, 2009 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Clubcard

New Head-Fier
I own the former but been eyeing the latter. Would the DAC-1 be a significant upgrade from the V-DAC? I know these two belong in entirely different price groups, but are they really that far apart? According to many, the V-DAC offers incredible value whilst the DAC-1 is a tad overpriced.

If someone out here had experience with both, an objective comparison would be greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 34
would you really appreciate the upgrade using cans? or is the benchmark only justified in a good speaker set-up?

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 34
cant see this thread going anywhere.
would a benchmark owner buy a v-dac? nah
v-dac hasnt been around long, i doubt any owners would have upgraded to something in the benchmark price range.
dont get me wrong. i would love to know how they compare, but....

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would a benchmark owner buy a v-dac? nah

I already had my DAC1 (Usb) when I took the V-DAC home
L3000.gif

But do not ask me for much info because I almost not used the MF 'as is' (I bought looking for some mods, and for curiosity sake...).

To the OP: both are very good DACs and the differences are small this days unless you got something very different (tubes or NOS or something done wrong for whatever reason).
Once this is said and accepted, the DAC1 is IMO 'neutral to bright' and the V-DAC 'warm and less detailed'.

I see room for improvement inside both but DAC1 is much harder to work on (smd) and the unit price on the wrong side of the 'I will risk it' verge, so left it untouched.
The V-DAC is just the opposite: easy to work, easy to have qualitative gains with low cost and low risk mods. Keep in mind its basic design is the same as all other Musical Fidelity DAC/CD (X-Dac v8, KW, etc): same input and upsampling chip (SRC4392), same dac chip (pcm1792) and same post/analog stage (opamps IV and opamp buffer).
Actually I just got time to change some ps caps and the output opamp, I look forward to change the I/V quad opamp, then get rid of the output coupling caps, and then changing the PS all the way (it creates inside the box the -V analog rail with swithching chips from the +12V input...).

As it is now it does have still this warmish side common to all MF digital players, but is more detailed and gives less to the DAC1. On some setups and with some music, yes, I will go as far as to say I do not prefer DAC1 to V-DAC. But in a consistent way the DAC1 is still te one to beat.

Btw remember the Benchmark does have its HP amplifier/out, and it is not bad IMO, it's just that usually it gets compared to around 1k$ dedicated HP amps and unless you got a happy pairing then yes, it is inferior (!).

So to the OP: What are you using as HP amp and what HPs? Do you like/want to mod your V-DAC or want to let as is? From this point of view and IMO then yes, the DAC1 is an obvious upgrade and a 2-in-1 tool (and a nice one!). Specially if you get an used DAC1 (some always around, in fact mine has got to sale because I do no longer use it: my next step is the Buffalo ESS one, a DIY unit, but... no time!).

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 34
Josep, thanks a lot for your detailed input!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have Grado RS-1 paired with Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD amp. I love the combo and don't plan on upgrading either any time soon.

I've been considering the Benchmark DAC-1 because it feels like a more appropiate source to a $1500 HP setup than the V-DAC. I'm not made of money, though, so if the differences are very slim, I'll just stick with the V-DAC.

ps: is your DAC-1 still for sale?

edit: I prefer my gear 'vanilla'; I'm no good at mods.

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 34
If modding is not in your menu, my bet is you are very well served right now with the V-DAC in your setup.
Just keep an eye here or on Audiogon when some old DAC1 surfaces (unless you do need usb connection) and if the deal is good go for it. If you do need USB, then maybe a better (price/sound quality wise) choice could be the DacMagic unit from Cambridge Audio (too to be seen soon 2nd hand, wait and see). But any of those two upgrades will no be just nice, not huge.
You will have huge changes, say, with new headphones (ps1000? gs1000? AT esw10jpn outside Grado?)
Regards
Josep

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by josep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If modding is not in your menu, my bet is you are very well served right now with the V-DAC in your setup.
Just keep an eye here or on Audiogon when some old DAC1 surfaces (unless you do need usb connection) and if the deal is good go for it. If you do need USB, then maybe a better (price/sound quality wise) choice could be the DacMagic unit from Cambridge Audio (too to be seen soon 2nd hand, wait and see). But any of those two upgrades will no be just nice, not huge.
You will have huge changes, say, with new headphones (ps1000? gs1000? AT esw10jpn outside Grado?)
Regards
Josep

Actually the V-DAC is more highly regarded sound-wise than the DACMagic. And yes, I do need USB.

I don't plan on upgrading my headphone any time soon. Tried out the GS1k and found out I liked the RS-1 more.

Thanks for your help, though. I'll do some more research on the DAC-1 before making any final decisions.

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 34
Heard both and definitely prefer the slightly rich/warm sound of V-DAC then the slightly clinical/bright DAC-1 both are fantastic and very detailed, I just prefer the snoother sounding V-DAC.

Also V-DAC sounds better with an optical input over USB/coax

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by branko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heard both and definitely prefer the slightly rich/warm sound of V-DAC then the slightly clinical/bright DAC-1 both are fantastic and very detailed, I just prefer the snoother sounding V-DAC.

Also V-DAC sounds better with an optical input over USB/coax

improves further after psu upgrade
smile_phones.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 34
although i like my v-dac, i am getting itchy trigger finger regarding the new stagedac from Meier audio.
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 34
I went from the V-DAC (loved it) to the Ref-1 which is a bit more than the DAC-1 in $ but the improvement was very, very large (more detail, much smoother, more 3D, totally black background, on and on). The DAC-9MK3 is about the same as Ref-1 but w/o DSP processing and priced about the same as the DAC-1. I have no itch to upgrade.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #13 of 34
I owned these dacs. Not much difference as expected. All of them sound musicla no harsh, will love any of them. If have some money to spend go dac pre or v-dac is a good choice though.

Oct 17, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 34
could someone confirm one way or the other:
do the v-dac and dac-1pre use the same opamps????
NE5532
any additional comments would also be welcomed.
appologies to the OP, it appears i was a bit critical of this being a worthwhile thread.
just shows what a numpty i can be, eh? (dont answer that)
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #15 of 34
You're saying there's not that big difference between V-Dac and Dac-1 ?? How is that possible... What does Dac-1 cost... like 1000$ ? and V-Dac 300$ !!!

You compare like they are at the same price-class.... If Dac-1 is just a little better, then either V-Dac is a VERY good Dac for the price, or Dac-1 sucks for its price...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back