Impedance: 40 Ohm
R&L balance< 3dB(20Hz-10KHz 1mW)
Rated input power: 30mW.
Maximum input power: 50mW.
Cable: length 1.2m TPE Material
Plug: 3.5mm gold-plate

In this old thread there is a review and a pricing of the Esmooth headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/526859/esmooth-gorgeous-headphones

I work for a company that buys Chinese products and sells them in Germany but we never had a profit of 500% on one item.

After reading some reviews that really praised the headphones I nearly bought them. Now I'm glad I didn't.
Can someone tell me why the old thread was closed?

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 24
If he ordered them with different branding they are not the "same". It's a matter of semantics.
Maybe he isn't lying but not completely honest.
It worries me that the user who said he bought the the 55 Classic and really praised them is now banned and has this statement under his user name:
Shares IP address with ameze from Meze

If the ES881 (which are sold for 45 Dollar) have the same components Meze would make a higher profit than Apple on their devices.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 24
I don't know for sure, but this is the email I got from the agent:

Quote:
Hi Greg, Which model are you interested in?

No, they are not identical to Esmooth. Esmooth's version is lower quality on all levels. From construction materials to sound.

Best,
Antonio M

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 24
I normally don't use forums at all, I find it a bit of a waste of time (no offense) but I am so riled up by meze that I signed up.
Note that I do however often head-fi.org for your lovely analysis of headphones.
Over a year ago I found esmooth and discovered some mediocre reviews on a forum or two. The nature of these reviews kept me from pressing on with esmooth and paying for shipping etc. Now hearing that they are getting audiophile rating's (they are definitely the same company, there are photos from esmooth's website on meze's) confuses me a bit.
So here's the kicker, I just found out about meze today, because I've gone back to esmooth before Xmas and ordered meze's whole range (and more) which arrive tomorrow. I will review and if possible down the road compare to meze's line directly, I will also review the esmooth unique iems etc which are in the order.

Thanks for reading my rant.
John

For the reviews will be comparing to thinksounds MS01 and a friends pair of beyerdynamic (no model info yet)

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 24
They are exactly the same. Furthermore, Meze has been caught lying, and has been caught pretending to be other people saying good things about their headphones.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 24
They are exactly the same. Don't be fooled my meze. However, I haven't seen anyone selling esmooth headphones. Tell us where did you get the price and where to buy them please. I've been trying for months without luck

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 24
I have received some hostile replies from meze regarding their OEM partner as well.

"Hi John, Our relationship with Esmooth goes back over 4 years. We (as and industrial design agency) developed headphones together with the factory. What Esmooth sells as 881 is not the same with the Meze Classics. There is a difference in the wood quality and in the internal components. Headband is almost the same."

I have not received my esmooth order today yet, it's still early though...

I have heard of people having trouble with contact from Esmooth, I own retail store so I ordered from esmooth on the basis of retail.
I have seen their OEMs in Altec Lansing, Zagg and Griffin. All of which have been reasonably priced.

I'll perhaps sell some of my esmooth headphones after im done checking them out.

John

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
I have received some hostile replies from meze regarding their OEM partner as well.

"Hi John, Our relationship with Esmooth goes back over 4 years. We (as and industrial design agency) developed headphones together with the factory. What Esmooth sells as 881 is not the same with the Meze Classics. There is a difference in the wood quality and in the internal components. Headband is almost the same."

I have not received my esmooth order today yet, it's still early though...

I have heard of people having trouble with contact from Esmooth, I own retail store so I ordered from esmooth on the basis of retail.
I have seen their OEMs in Altec Lansing, Zagg and Griffin. All of which have been reasonably priced.

I'll perhaps sell some of my esmooth headphones after im done checking them out.

John

Well, I'm willing to pay the 45$ you mentioned. I sent Esmooth a few emails without luck and they haven't replied yet. 
You should not waste your time with Meze. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 24
I got my order from ESMOOTH on wednesday, pretty uninteresting packaging for the most part... But we know they aren't a brand per se, so I ripped all the shrouds off and took in the initial beauty of the wood. For anyone who wants to know. I ordered the 880-EB, 860-EB, 820-BW, 660-EB, 620-SP, 220-GS and the 510-EB.
Moving on with first impressions, I first noticed that all the headphones with the exception of the 660's are a satin finish. I like the satin finish for my own gear, it doesnt get the fingerprints and scratches that the gloss does and kind of reveals that they are real wood not plastic (not that I was ever skeptical.) The second observation is how much smaller they really are in person, kind of a relief actually. They are all very light and very solid feeling in build, a pretty deadly combo if you ask me. The in ear monitors are pretty gorgeous as well, would have liked to see the braided jack on all the models not just the 860's.

First listening impressions were much different however, I plugged the grandaddies in first that are the 880's. So comfortable with the wing design head band, but from my galaxy nexus there wasn't enough juice to power those drivers to the ear-bleeding, headache-inducing, blurry-vision volume I anticipated. Bummer, because I know the 860's have the same drivers and specs for the most part.
Tested that theory to be sure and not to my delight, I was confirmed. To be clear they were good, just under powered or so it seemed. The 860's have such an unparalleled comfort with the leather headband, the ear cups are a little small for long period listening.

Then I plugged in the 820's. They were not underpowered at all and from the second my thumb pressed play on my galaxy's digitizer they out performed nearly every I've heard.
The bass was very present for the second smallest of the line up, punchy and clean. While being very involved in the sound the bass is not over-bearing and has an analytical response to it. No distortion at volumes I can tolerate, none that I could hear at ear-bleeding, blurry-vision levels either.
The mids are a little less orchestral than I like and I can notice that some of my favorite parts of songs are less distinguished in the mid-range, which are easily heard in the thinksound MS01's.
They are clear and are by no means missing from the tracks, just a very smooth and warm which can be hard to focus on behind some bass heavy music, Fleetwood Mac's Gypsy comes out beautifully balanced on a flat EQ and is something you just have to close your eyes to and enjoy fully.
The highs are perfect for my listening style, crisp, crunch, just below that pitch that makes you blink and wince you eyes at higher volumes but high enough to really capture the feeling of the instruments.

Stoked on the smaller drivers being easily powered I threw on the 660's, then took them right off. Not bad and not good but something worse, average. Not as defined of a sound, clear enough for beats users to drool on but just not as crisp. The highs weren't high enough, the bass seemed to resonate a bit too much for the track playing. I thought it was the recording but going back to Gypsy there was no mistaking the lack of quality... Shame.

The 620's are very much like shrunk down 820's, very small with big sound in the bass department. More love from the mids on the smaller cans, which is nice and nearly the same threshold on highs that makes a very pleasurable listen. They are nearly the most comfortable of all the headphones I have, cups are so soft and the head band (which is a soft touch rubber) is so thin and light that if it weren't for the blitz of booming sounds coming out of them, you would forget they were on. For a few hours, all of the headsets seem to offer some discomfort before the 2-3 hour mark.

Later that day after actually working instead of head nodding in the corner of my shop with some headphones on I plugged the 880's into my iPhone.
WOW
What a difference.

There I've abandoned the reminiscent semi I was nursing...
The 880's are like nothing I've listened to in my life yet, the bass hits with so much force that you get transported out of your environment and into the music video you were imagining when you chose the track to play. It seriously feels like your head is the skin of the drum, the precision of every kick, snare, tom is so clean and distinguished. Basslines are as smooth as the players fingers would allow in the studio, although being very present like all the headphones from esmooth the bass rarely feels overkill. The specs on these are either not as accurate as they claim to be, or just the only precise values actually represented on a monitor. The mids are similar to what I heard on the 820's but much cleaner and more upfront with the highs and lows.
The high notes again now hit the holy grail in my opinion, just right on the cusp of being irritating at the highest end.

To save time from my personal life I'll let you know the 860's are exactly the same as the 880's in quality but with just a little bit less from the low end. To be somewhat expected from a smaller housing. The 860's are my favorite by far when it comes to comfort and size, and with just a little less bass they feel better for hip-hop and bass heavy tracks.

I haven't giving any of the IEMs the time of day yet, they sound great but I think some pink noise time would do them good.

I still believe the 800's and 600's will even out some more and become truly spectacular with some more burn in time, at about 1-5 hours on each pair (except the 660's just about 8 mins).

Let me know if you want more information on the esmooths, I am pretty sure that you will but my ass is sore from typing at the stool in my kitchen and its friday night!

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 24
To revive a dying thread - 

So the Meze is the same as the Esmooth?

But where does one buy the Esmooth, and what are the current prices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back