Meze EMPYREAN II
Jan 8, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #347 of 603
I also thought so, but when I understand right, 100db@1mW/1kHz corresponds to 115 dB SPL @ 1kHz, 1V,
or otherwise 105 dB SPL @ 1 kHz, 1 V corresponds to 90db@1mW/1kHz.

https://headphones.com/pages/headphones-power-calculator

Impedance is nearly the same (31,6 Empyrean OG and 32 Empyrean II)

Would be great if someone who owns both could check it.
Yes I would like to know that too. Do they really have that low sensitivity of only 90db at 1mW/1kHz or is 105 dB SPL at 1 kHz, 1V on their web site a typo and they meant 105 dB SPL at 1mW and not at 1 Volt?

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #348 of 603
Trying the Empy 2 today with their stock hybrid pads. So far pretty impressed. It has a sound that works for pretty much everything I have thrown at it.

It fixes the main issue that Empy 1 had. Empy 1 sounded congested too often. Empy 2 sounds considerably less muffled as a result while still having a fun sound. I don't really find it much more detailed than the Empy 1 though.

My only main complaint so far is the treble can be a bit peaky and grainy. It isn't as smooth there as I prefer.

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #349 of 603
Trying the Empy 2 today with their stock hybrid pads. So far pretty impressed. It has a sound that works for pretty much everything I have thrown at it.

It fixes the main issue that Empy 1 had. Empy 1 sounded congested too often. Empy 2 sounds considerably less muffled as a result while still having a fun sound. I don't really find it much more detailed than the Empy 1 though.

My only main complaint so far is the treble can be a bit peaky and grainy. It isn't as smooth there as I prefer.
You and I are in a similar boat regarding the treble.

I'll probably be selling my Empy II if anyone is interested.
Going to list it on the classifieds here once I have a free slot...

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #350 of 603
You and I are in a similar boat regarding the treble.

I'll probably be selling my Empy II if anyone is interested.
Going to list it on the classifieds here once I have a free slot...

Interesting that you are selling your Empy II… I’m curious to hear more as to why. Is it just the treble? The Emp was on my very short list of next hp to buy/try.

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #351 of 603
If I find an original Empy for 1500 would you say it's worth getting over other 1500 headphones at moment?

Considering the 109 Pro's as well.
Maybe I will just save up for the II's, which by that time there will be a III's haha

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #352 of 603
I recently had the opportunity to listen to them in the store for about 50 minutes. The Treble reminded me a bit of the HD800s I have. Especially when I turned up the volume. Overall, I think they are very interesting headphones that may not record micro-details and don't have a huge sound stage, but they bring a lot of joy out of songs. I am considering purchasing them in the future.

meze 2.jpg
meze.jpg

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #353 of 603
If I find an original Empy for 1500 would you say it's worth getting over other 1500 headphones at moment?

Maybe I will just save up for the II's, which by that time there will be a III's haha
Hifiman HE1000 Stealth is $1399 now... Pretty massive step up from 109.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #354 of 603

What kind of sound signature do you prefer? If you like a more warm lush sound then the OG empy is a great deal for 1500. If you want something a little more neutral/brighter some of the Hifimans like Arya and HE1000 Stealth would be a good choice in that price range, HD800s also a good place to look. Haven't heard the 109 pros outside of a short demo but some have said they sound similar to Empy 2 with less technicalities.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #355 of 603

Depending what you want. If you are wanting a really bassy fun headphone and incredibly comfortable HP then Empy 1 is a pretty good choice.

Alternative choices are the HE1000 stealth as other person mentioned (just a warning it has a lot of treble), Auteur Classic, HD800s. On cheaper than those side Arya Stealth is a good choice (and I know people who prefer it over the Organic), Clear OG.

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #356 of 603

It is worth getting the og Empy for $1500, if you think you would enjoy a thicker, bassier and smoother sound. I think, they still sound more natural in tone and timbre than most current headphones with an MSRP between $1000 and $2000.

It really depends on, what sound you are after. If you would enjoy a thinner/lighter but very spacious and slightly brighter presentation, the HiFiMan Organic or HE1000V2/SE could work. The 109Pro is a great option for the price, but IMO the og Empy has a more refined, more coherent and overall, more natural sound. They are tuned very differently, the 109Pro being much brighter in the treble and again compared to the og Empy it sounds smaller and thinner. Others in that price range that could work are Audeze MM500, if you are after a more neutral sounding and relatively precise planar with a smaller soundstage, Focal headphones if you like a good dynamic punch, but soundstage is again relatively on the smaller side with treble issues for some people. HD800S can be quite nice on the right tube amplifier, they have a huge soundstage, but on many amps they can sound thin, brighter, lacking natural, organic presentation compared to others. ZMF headphones again are fantastic, but not for everyone. They sound extremely organic, natural, but a little bit away from neutral aiming for musical joy rather than ultimate precision. Then there is the general difference between dynamic and planar headphones: both camps are strong.

So, it very much depends on what sound you like, what you would enjoy, and the audio chain you have. Within limits all these headphones can change with the gear, so amp choice and synergy are important. The more you can audition, the better. Good luck and enjoy the journey! :wink:

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #357 of 603
I do some processing of solo piano recordings on FL Studio. but to be honest, when it comes to headphones of this price I'm looking at the overall enjoyability and that wow moment.
Where I live (Portugal) I haven't found a place to try them out. So I rely on reviews and recommendations. Something about meze inspires me confidence maybe because I'm biased towards European lol.

I currently have a pair of Sendy Aiva's, MMX300 and a couple of other lower-end Beyerdynamic's and Sennheisers.

Maybe a super neutral headphone would impress me as well. But I think I'm craving for something... lush. idk... Also, something about the design and engineering of brands like Meze and ZMF I think would make me appreciate the overall experience of listening much more as a whole, if you know what I mean.

Basically I'm looking for a 'friday night with a scotch' type of headphones where I can sit and enjoy music without compromising too much the resolution/detail of the sound.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #358 of 603
I do some processing of solo piano recordings on FL Studio. but to be honest, when it comes to headphones of this price I'm looking at the overall enjoyability and that wow moment.
Where I live (Portugal) I haven't found a place to try them out. So I rely on reviews and recommendations. Something about meze inspires me confidence maybe because I'm biased towards European lol.

I currently have a pair of Sendy Aiva's, MMX300 and a couple of other lower-end Beyerdynamic's and Sennheisers.

Maybe a super neutral headphone would impress me as well. But I think I'm craving for something... lush. idk... Also, something about the design and engineering of brands like Meze and ZMF I think would make me appreciate the overall experience of listening much more as a whole, if you know what I mean.

Basically I'm looking for a 'friday night with a scotch' type of headphones where I can sit and enjoy music without compromising too much the resolution/detail of the sound.
Your 'friday night with a scotch' is when I bust out the LCD-R haha

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #359 of 603
Ah gotcha, then for that I'd look for something super comfy and musical. If you can find them used, the OG Empy and the ZMF atrium would be what I would go for.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #360 of 603
My local store has the first gen available for $3K CAD and will throw in the PCUHD sliver cable for 50% off, so around $3,250 CAD pre tax. The second gen sells for $4K CAD.

I’m a little conflicted with which route to go. I’m looking for an upgrade from the Meze 109’s I’ve had for a month as I’m craving a headphone with a tad more mid range.

Given the situation, which of the two would you go for?

(Also posted in the first gen Empyrean forum, just wanted more opinions incase folks here don’t frequent that thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back