Meze EMPYREAN II
Nov 12, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #106 of 611
And yet they compete.
There is the DCA Stealth which is a clear notch above, but that's about it
I have no doubt they’ll compete as they are very good. I would add the Verite Closed Back, Atrium Closed back and Focal Stellia to the list of competitors.

Nov 12, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #107 of 611
And yet they compete.
Any yet I did not like the Stealth and I like the Liric. A bigger one that sounds even closer to the Empy or Elite would be welcome.

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #110 of 611
I am not clear from the seemingly contradictory reviews if the Empy 2 is more bassy, richer, thicker or less bassy, thinner than the Elite...
More V shaped.

So either bassier and brighter, or with recessed mids, depending on how you volume match

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #111 of 611
And yet they compete.
There's definitely a major hole in the market for true TOTL closed backs like the Stealth. Everything else is capped around Liric level.

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #112 of 611
There's definitely a major hole in the market for true TOTL closed backs like the Stealth. Everything else is capped around Liric level.
I think the Caldera Closed will probably fix this

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #114 of 611
I think the Caldera Closed will probably fix this
That’s what I’m hoping too! I really need a good closed back in my life! Tried pretty much all but haven’t found one I like yet.

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #115 of 611
I'll be the contrarian here. I listened to the Empy 2 at CAF yesterday both at the HeadAmp booth with the GSX and at the LTA Lounge with the Z10e. The duo pads were used in all cases. I would take either the original Empyrean or the Elite over the Empy 2. The Empy 2 is sort of soft-sounding, particularly in bass. I would go as far to say that the Stax SR-X9000, an electrostat, has better bass impact than the Empy 2. Listening to Adele's "Rolling In The Deep" with both of them plugged into the Z10e, the X9K has bite and snap and slam to the leading edge of drum hits while the Empy 2 just lands with a thud. Compared to the Empy 1 on the same chain, the original has more bass and low-end, plus a sort of "dreamy" character to vocals and the midrange, while the Empy 2 tries to be more neutral in the midrange but loses its character in the process. Comparing against the Elite on the GSX, the Elite has more "snap" to the sound with sharper notes in general, while not having the general bassiness of the original Empyrean. I'm pretty disappointed in the Empyrean 2, all things considered.

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #116 of 611
I’m wondering how the Empy 2 sounds compared to the OG Empy with Angled Alcantara pads. It seems like you might be able to get the best of both worlds with a simple pad swap on the OG. This would be the much cheaper option with the prices on used OG Empy’s coming down.

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #117 of 611
This would be the much cheaper option with the prices on used OG Empy’s coming down.
Actually there could be a Trend reverse.
Considering the Empyrean sounds very different from it's successor and being discontinued at the same time, it's now probably more valuable to some than it was before

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #118 of 611
I think they have peaked on the Elite and the only way to keep things interesting and moving is for a somewhat departure from it's usual sound signature. I remember auditioning the Elite and saying to myself "this is it". The Empyrean was just too dark or "lushed" for my liking. I wonder if the Empyrean 2 takes some of the Liric tuning but tweaked and polished.

Nov 13, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #119 of 611
I think they have peaked on the Elite and the only way to keep things interesting and moving is for a somewhat departure from it's usual sound signature. I remember auditioning the Elite and saying to myself "this is it". The Empyrean was just too dark or "lushed" for my liking. I wonder if the Empyrean 2 takes some of the Liric tuning but tweaked and polished.
Couldn't have said it better, 100% agree.

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #120 of 611
Will be interesting to read various takes on the Elite vs Empy II here on head-fi. You can pretty much get a pair of used Elite's for the same price as a new Empy II, I'm far less interested in a Empy vs Empy II comparison since the former will become so much cheaper on the used market.

I've been eyeing the Elite's for quite some time, but on the other hand getting a pair of fresh and new HP for the same price is pretty tempting as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back