Meze EMPYREAN II
Nov 27, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #211 of 606
This is kind of what I feared and why I suspected I may still prefer the Elite. If I want clarity/definition there are better options out there near $3k like a used Susvara/Expanse. Or even cheaper, a CA-1a for about half the price. What I want from Meze is that smooth musicality.

Another clear/defined headphone has no place in my collection, it's not going to outperform the X9000 in that regard. A headphone with the Empyrean's tonality/musicality but improved technicals would have a place in my line-up though.
What energizer are you using with your X9000?

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #212 of 606
I had the same impression of the Empy2 at CAF. Compared to the X9000, the Empy2 was just... meh. Softer bass impact, not as smooth in the treble, and a generally more neutral tuning that overlapped too much with the X9K's strong points. The OG Empy on the other hand had a distinct character that did what the X9K did not, and thus was more interesting to me.
Yeah, I think eventually at the high end the game becomes finding headphones that are different not so much headphones that are "better". Otherwise we'd all just settle on neutral tuning with good technicalities like Susvara or a high end estat or something like that.
What energizer are you using with your X9000?
I built my own adapter that I use with all of my amps (Holo Bliss, M225 monoblocks, R800i tube amp)
PXL_20231030_052857607.jpg

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #213 of 606
I'm in the US, ordered mine on 8 Nov and received them TODAY! When I ordered, they committed to "end of November." Currently doing some initial listening (that may very well drift late into the night) and am planning to do a detailed write-up/review within the next week or two.

Initial impression (as someone that never owned the original Empyrean), absolutely amazing. You can see what gear I own in my signature, and this just MAY be my go-to answer for "which headphone would you keep if you could only keep one?" - which I have never really been able to answer. My initial sense is that it is not necessarily the "best" at every or any particular aspect that we use to judge, but it is at LEAST very good at everything, and the sum of the parts is wonderful.

I told my wife, "this one may be the one"...her response..."I feel like you say that every time you get new headphones."

So let's see how I feel after the day one giddies have worn off.
I’m definitely interested in knowing how they compare to the D8000 Pro. I’m hoping the two of them can coexist nicely as I’m thinking that could be my end-game solution… at least for the foreseeable future.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #214 of 606
I’m definitely interested in knowing how they compare to the D8000 Pro. I’m hoping the two of them can coexist nicely as I’m thinking that could be my end-game solution… at least for the foreseeable future.
Heard! It's on my compare list as well, and I think you will indeed be happy. They are substantially different in multiple ways - especially for those of us that are noodling around at this price range in search of that exact right sound.

Nov 30, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #217 of 606
I just started listening yesterday and am now burning them in. They are really nice and open sounding. A bit harsh in the treble which I hope mellows out a bit. Happy I chose the copper cable. Their cables are REALLY nice. I am running the full Ferrum stack Wandla, Oor and Hypsos.

Nov 30, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #218 of 606
I just started listening yesterday and am now burning them in. They are really nice and open sounding. A bit harsh in the treble which I hope mellows out a bit.

I'm 48 hours in and a bit energetic depending on track / genre.

Happy I chose the copper cable. Their cables are REALLY nice. I am running the full Ferrum stack Wandla, Oor and Hypsos.

I haven't noticed much difference between either Meze PCUHD SPC or copper premium upgrade cables but will have more time to compare this weekend.

Nov 30, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #219 of 606
Nov 30, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #220 of 606
I just started listening yesterday and am now burning them in. They are really nice and open sounding. A bit harsh in the treble which I hope mellows out a bit. Happy I chose the copper cable. Their cables are REALLY nice. I am running the full Ferrum stack Wandla, Oor and Hypsos.
I'm also running a Ferrum, the ERCO. I ALMOST went with the copper cable purely because it matches the front haha - but I went with silver and have no regrets. Agree with you on the cable, by far the best stock cable I've received. The cables with the D8000 Pro probably 2nd place.

Nov 30, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #221 of 606
Nov 30, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #222 of 606
Nice write up.
Your generation should listen with vinyls and tapes to appreciate of the sources that impresses more from your collection of headphones.
Just my 2C....not because of convenience.
Appreciate that!

It's actually something I've been thinking about because my dad has hundreds of old vinyls. Right now I just have my amp in my home office, thinking of adding a dedicated listening setup in a different room with a dedicated player/streamer, a step up in Amp and a turntable.

I'm an older millennial, so I rocked cassettes for a while :)

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #223 of 606
Appreciate that!

It's actually something I've been thinking about because my dad has hundreds of old vinyls. Right now I just have my amp in my home office, thinking of adding a dedicated listening setup in a different room with a dedicated player/streamer, a step up in Amp and a turntable.

I'm an older millennial, so I rocked cassettes for a while :)
Forgot about CD as well.
Resolution = CD quality > streamer quality. I did hear a difference between CD vs Quobuz.

So Reel to Reel = too expensive for each reel
Vinyls = great resolution, can be very expensive.
Cassette tapes = had its time with lots of fun
CD = after about 10 players, I prefer CD Transport with good DAC
MP3 = settle on DAPs, Mojo1 and 2, portable tube amps, WA tube mini( excellent little toy )

To name a few toys above. 8 tracks as well.
Hope, all people can enjoy their own good music for peace.....

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #224 of 606
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #225 of 606

Users who are viewing this thread

Back