Meze Audio introduces LIRIC 2nd Generation - The Art of Evolution
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MezeTeam

Sponsor: Meze Audio
Hello, everyone!

Lately, we took some time to reflect and we used this opportunity to grow and change for the better. We appreciate this beautiful community’s support and the feedback you’ve provided over the years. We’re here to say that we listened. Without further ado, we invite you to join our quest to evolve! This is the evolution of the LIRIC headphones – LIRIC 2nd Generation!

Meze Audio_Liric 2_06.jpg

The new LIRIC, our closed-back isodynamic headphone is turning the page on a new chapter, enhancing its essence while introducing a richer sound and refined tuning.

Macassar ebony wood adorns the ear cups, extending an invitation to connect with the feeling of warmth that only Mother Nature can provide.

Meze Audio_Liric 2_20.jpg

DESIGNED FOR LIFE

In the spirit of natural evolution, LIRIC joins the Meze Audio family of products with detachable magnetic ear pads. This design choice ultimately translates into enhanced reliability and serviceability, characteristics that audiophiles and music enthusiasts worldwide have grown accustomed to.

DSC01034.jpg

TUNED UP

The sound of the LIRIC has been refined with the help of our community’s feedback, and it now falls in between a balanced and a warm profile. This means you get a mix of clear and accurate audio, with a touch of warmth for added depth.

QWRM

The Quarter Wavelength Resonator Mask is a precision-crafted metal component that strategically covers select openings in the driver frame, to effectively attenuate high-frequency peaks above 7kHz for a less fatiguing listening experience.

DSC07998 copy.jpg

QUALITY IN EVERY ASPECT

Our premium hand-braided copper cable now serves as the stock cable for LIRIC. We’ve focused our efforts towards enhancing the listening experience, offering a 4.4 mm termination premium cable suitable for most portable headphone amplifiers, as well as a 3 m soft TPE cable with a 3.5 mm jack, ideal for home headphone setups.

SPECIFICATIONS:

MZ4 DRIVER

Driver Type: Rinaro Isodynamic Hybrid Array® MZ4
Geometrical Shape: Ovoid
Operating Principle: Closed
Size: 92 mm x 63 mm
Ear Coupling: Circumaural
Driver Weight: 71 g
Frequency Response: 4 - 92.000 Hz
Casing: Fibreglass-reinforced polymer
Impedance: 61 Ω
Diaphragm Type: Rinaro Isoplanar®[MZ4]
Sensitivity: 100 dB (1 mW / 1 kHz)
Active Area: 3.507 mm2
Maximum SPL: > 130 dB
Diaphragm Weight: 0.08 g
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): < 0,15%
Acoustic Mass: 6.5 kg/m4
Weight: 427 g
Lower Frequency Limit: 4 Hz
Upper Frequency Limit: 92,000 Hz

Discover more here!

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Mar 7, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 19
Meze makes the most aesthetically pleasing headphones I've seen. Another beautiful model

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 19
Loving the wood, loving the magnetic earpad mounting system.
Pre Order Is in!

Keep doing what you're doing!

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 19
Cross posting from the other thread. I was fortunate enough to review the new Liric and there are many great improvements with it!

Original Post:
I released my review on the Meze LIRIC second generation this morning. I also took measurements on my rig if it helps! I use a GRAS KB006x (left and right) pinna clone + IEC711 Coupler fed into an XLR interface with a good preamp. These measurements can be used to compare against others on my Squiglinks site, but don't use them to compare against measurements from other people's rigs, as the uniqueness of pinna and other variables (acoustic Z for example) will not directly translate to my site.

I think Meze is known to make well-built headphones at this point, and nothing changes here. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I won't comment much on looks. I do personally enjoy the classy look of woods when used tastefully, and the dark tone found here on the Macassar ebony looks nice.

GadgetryTech Meze Liric 2nd Gen -sm.jpg

I really enjoy the new Liric 2nd gen sound profile. The bass brought back some of the Meze Audio house sound (some warmth!), but it doesn't loose the sub bass emphasis and extension found in the original Liric. The mid range is incredible, one of the best for a passive closed back especially when you consider the driver tech being used. High treble is still emphasized, but has been tamed a bit in comparison to the original Liric. The filled in upper mids with the additional warmth helps to also shift the sound profile from being thinner/bright like the original Liric to a more excited v shape.

There is still a slight metallic tinge to high frequencies, with cymbals/hats really coming through. The ringing effect is there to an extent, but not bad. It's also extremely easy to tame with very mild EQ. Without EQ, this sound profile is more enjoyable for various genres and styles of music.

Passive noise isolation is still excellent, so it does a good job of attenuating environmental noise, while also reducing audio leakage to help minimize what others hear you listening too. I found the comfort to be excellent, and the moderate clamp force helps maintain a great seal. It's not overly strong, but it does stay secure on your head with normal movement. Pad compliance is excellent, and it maintains a seal with both glasses and baseball-style hats. Jog with this at your own risk.

Anyway, here are some measurements, and a link to the full video review! Happy to answer any questions as well.

Excellent driver matching...
1709830222892.png

Compared to the original Liric:
1709830306511.png

Compared to the Audeze LCD-XC. I still like the XC. The bass is more constrained on the XC, and the vocals have more of a nasal presence, but the upper treble is excellent. With EQ, the LCD-XC can easy match the bass emphasis the Liric offers, and of course, you can still reduce the 2-3k region if need be.
1709830400537.png

Here's a link to my measurement page. I don't have everything, but I'm a smaller channel and purchase a lot of what I review. Meze was kind enough to send this for review. https://gadgetrytech.squig.link/headsets/?share=Harman_Target,Meze_Liric_2

Last but not least, my full video review!

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 19
Pre Order is in as well!

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 19
oh, wow, what a beautiful piece of kit; the measurements are beautiful too!

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 19
Though this is incredible, I want Meze to make a closed back at the same price point as the 109 pro....Meze keeps doing the budget and the Summit fi...but not mid-fi...and Ive been waiting awhile. Ive owned all the versions of the 99s (Woodies and Neos) but wont be getting to the Lyric price point yet. I need that middle ground met...I wish Meze took a page out the Dan Clark playbook for once.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 19
I loved the first Liric full black design so a little less hyped by the wood this time but let's call it a win to go with a rebranded visual.

Thanks to the published curves we can compare with the first version and it is with joy that we see that Meze went bolt with a novel
interpretation of the headphone and not a small tuning.

I hope to be able to listen asap and eventually acquire one.

Mar 19, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 19
The more I look at these headphones, the more I like them. I hope I can listen to them soon and maybe replace my 99’s with these and have a perfect companion with my 109 Pro.

The price point is a factor, but we only live once, right? :D :D

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 19
The more I look at these headphones, the more I like them. I hope I can listen to them soon and maybe replace my 99’s with these and have a perfect companion with my 109 Pro.

The price point is a factor, but we only live once, right? :D :D
Wait long enough and the price may not be as high. Plus openbox and other options, some folks buy only to resell, saving opportunities everywhere. Unless of course, that's not how you roll. 🎧🖖🏽🏕️

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 19
Arrived earlier today.

Looks alone, I would score these a solid 10/10 in the flesh! Stunning!

Need to give them a good 50 hours. Put them on at zero hours and immediately took them off! 😂

I like to listen to progress as I burn in and at 6 hours in they already sound better. Will reserve judgement until I get more hours on them.

Comfort is as you expect from Meze as is build quality. At first I thought the cups might be a bit small as I'm used to the bigger Elite and Empyrean pads but with a little adjustment they are spot on even with my glasses and a great seal. Will feed back more in a few days.
IMG_7448.jpeg

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #15 of 19
Arrived earlier today.

Looks alone, I would score these a solid 10/10 in the flesh! Stunning!

Need to give them a good 50 hours. Put them on at zero hours and immediately took them off! 😂

I like to listen to progress as I burn in and at 6 hours in they already sound better. Will reserve judgement until I get more hours on them.

Comfort is as you expect from Meze as is build quality. At first I thought the cups might be a bit small as I'm used to the bigger Elite and Empyrean pads but with a little adjustment they are spot on even with my glasses and a great seal. Will feed back more in a few days.
How is that burn-in going? Do you like the sound you’re hearing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back