Meze Audio Elites price plunge
Dec 27, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #17 of 31
So you need people to agree that in your view meze is overrated?
That is the goal of this topic, or am I wrong?

Overpriced, not overrated.
Cause you see, like anything in this world, you have a Standard, a base of measurement. I took my base the T1' s 2nd gen. They were roughly 1k new.
So the thing that intrugues me, is in this world of electronics (headphones) , what justifies the prices of the Meze (you can put HiFiman, or whatever brand) ?
Cause as we see, as soon as they are sold, they can not bring the same (or even close to) amount of money back, even with just a few months of usage.
Just trying to be analyticial about spending money (as i stated in a reply above) .
How much is it spent for the headphoning, how much for the luxury bit, and how much just snake oil or bragging rights.

Thank you for your time and reply!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #18 of 31
I owned the first edition of the elites which were bare silver metal (Aluminium?) without any paint on top. Therefore I never had any troubles with paint chipping off, but if that is a problem nowadays, it definitely should be discussed.

I just wanted to point out that regarding driver „technicalities“ these headphones definitely play with the big boys. As the measurements show ultra low distortion.

Yes the standard sound is not so sterile sounding as other high end cans, but that is just a different and unique sound. Some people might not like that, which is completely fine, but that des not make it a bad headphone per se.

I also don’t think any headphone is worth more than 2k, so I am quite happy about the used prices high end cans sell for.

Thanks for the extra clarification.
I wasn't complaining about the non sterilized sound neccesarily (although some people want it as neutral as possible) , but rather that for that amount, I'd better hear the dust vibrating off the guitar strings, whilst they are played. All I managed to hear was a bit extra detail, and sharper sounds. I know, each ears are different, but I have to confess I feel there's a point where it stops making sense (in my mind at least) .
Headphones were intriguing, as a cheaper alternative to loudspeakers, in hearing more, with less headaches (room placement, room volume, walls, your placement to the speakers, source, prea- amp and amp, etc. ) . But I have to be honest, it's (in my eyes, or ears in this case) , more snake oily.
And before any replies come in the lines of 'Loudspeakers at this price can't reproduce better, as they are not TOTL, you need to spend many times over' , I agree. But in the headphone world the sum apparently buys you TOTL (product) , but not sound.

The question is still open, regarding the Utopia' s.

All the best

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #19 of 31
The Sunset Boulevard ones are Limited series. There are some other people on the Forum trying to sell Ltd. Edition units, but are unable to as the asking price difference between the Standard ones and theirs (which are just skins) is too great.
I wanted to say that maybe to flip them, it works (but first photo tells otherwise) . So that means people still pay for what they can hear and the quality of the unit.

Interesting hobby
With limited edition, in headphone hobby, I meant the gear that is not easy to get or has long waiting period. Like Mod house Tungsten has a long waiting list so easy to sell off. Limited edition Meze or Sennheiser headphone don’t count. Saw one guy trying to sell HD800 limited edition at a premium and the Ad is still in classifieds for past 1 year.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #22 of 31
Nobody was critiquing the Lyrics, let alone hating. You can continue your love afair with them in peace.
A lot of people (here and in other threads) seem to be hating on Meze. I am relatively new to the audiophile world and genuinely just want to understand what is it about Meze that makes people so divisive?

In comparison most people seem to generally love HIFIMAN.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #23 of 31
A lot of people (here and in other threads) seem to be hating on Meze. I am relatively new to the audiophile world and genuinely just want to understand what is it about Meze that makes people so divisive?

In comparison most people seem to generally love HIFIMAN.

Well, as I started this thread, many say `1k audio quality, with 3k or 4k build quality` . Guessing. Don't know. Didn't have a chance to compare them with equivalent price range, to say they are overrated. I just compare them to the absolute max they I' ve spent for before, the T1' s, and declare them overpriced- the secondary market is proof in my eyes, as they really don't hold value.

Guessing it's a can of worms, like all hobbies, some people become addicted to be `right about spending` .

Who knows, who knows?

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #24 of 31
I find it strange that people find it normal to get a 40% + hit, on a 2 Month old product. Maybe it's snake oil (cryogenic cables level) ?

Elite' s are revered for being little to no system influenced, in producing quality sound. If you need to spend once more the sum of the unit, on the system, to get it to sound remotely good to your (or someone else's) ears, that's just sad.
What I find odd is you are ignoring the facts that all used headphones take this type of hit and you decide to just bash Meze. I find the T1 as a mid-fi headphone that isn’t even at the higher tier of mid-fi. It is plain silly to compare the two. It is like you are complaining about the cost of steak at high end restaurant because it fills your belly the same as a Big Mac with fries….

Most that invest in a high tier headphone understand that the chain needs to be up to the course to bring out the best in it. Why buy a Lamborghini if you cant afford premium gas for it and you plan to park it in the street instead of a covered garage.

You dont have to like the Elite as taste is a personal thing …. But your arguments here are hollow.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #25 of 31
What I find odd is you are ignoring the facts that all used headphones take this type of hit and you decide to just bash Meze. I find the T1 as a mid-fi headphone that isn’t even at the higher tier of mid-fi. It is plain silly to compare the two. It is like you are complaining about the cost of steak at high end restaurant because it fills your belly the same as a Big Mac with fries….

Most that invest in a high tier headphone understand that the chain needs to be up to the course to bring out the best in it. Why buy a Lamborghini if you cant afford premium gas for it and you plan to park it in the street instead of a covered garage.

You dont have to like the Elite as taste is a personal thing …. But your arguments here are hollow.

I seriously didn't check the market for other price equivalent competitors. If you are so kind, give me a list, and I make an Excel spreadsheet. Or if you have such a list, gladly share it. The Elites and ZMF' s were on my radar, and as you can tell, Elites are in my possession (regretfully) .

Meze Elites and Empyrean's boasted that the chain had little to no influence. If I need to spend money to get extra 5% (whatever that might mean in audio) , it' s really not a plus or a counterargument to justify the price (not for me at least) .

Also, if you had the T1' s and Elites, did you have the chance to compare them on the same source combo? Did you need to invest extra for the Elites?
Do you feel the total amount spent, yield a justified amount of sound improvements, when comparing the mid- tier T1' s with the TOTL Elites?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #26 of 31
I seriously didn't check the market for other price equivalent competitors. If you are so kind, give me a list, and I make an Excel spreadsheet. Or if you have such a list, gladly share it. The Elites and ZMF' s were on my radar, and as you can tell, Elites are in my possession (regretfully) .

Meze Elites and Empyrean's boasted that the chain had little to no influence. If I need to spend money to get extra 5% (whatever that might mean in audio) , it' s really not a plus or a counterargument to justify the price (not for me at least) .
Well there you go….you didnt look at used prices. I suggest you take 5 minutes to look at the head-fi classified section and you dont need a spread sheet.

Maybe you should change the title to this tread to…TOTL headphones price plunge and the reasons I dislike the Meze Elite. You would trigger less people and get the type of feedback you are probably looking for.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #27 of 31
Well there you go….you didnt look at used prices. I suggest you take 5 minutes to look at the head-fi classified section and you dont need a spread sheet.

Maybe you should change the title to this tread to…TOTL headphones price plunge and the reasons I dislike the Meze Elite. You would trigger less people and get the type of feedback you are probably looking for.

Doubtful. I never found a 2 month old ZMF Verite sold for 40% hit. Don' t get so emotional on numbers, they are our friends in this debate, to understand marketing, hobbies and people' s ego' s to a certain extent- to use your analogy with the Lamborghini, some people will try to seem rich and knowledgeable, and thinking of the most expensive thing being the `premium gasoline` , not the maintenance of the vehicle, showing that some of us jump and justify the action, with the limited knowledge we have. Even with a non premium gasoline, a Lamborghini will make you smile for a few seconds.
And as far as affording, trust me, I tried some sources, and sent them back, as it was laughable. I mean, I didn't end up spending 20k on the system (a few k more than the hifi dealer) to show me it can be better.

I go research the hifishark, and spread a spreadsheet over here. brb

Also, would it be possible to answer my question regarding the T1 vs Elites, on the improved system (in the idea that you had or made an upgrade) ?
Based on your argument, the system should' ve improved the T1' s as well (to a certain degree) . Does the Delta in improvement, justify the cost of switching to the Elites (cans and maybe system) ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #28 of 31
The T1 is too bright with too little bass. Elite for me is the most forgiving TOTL headphone with amazing comfort which is very important to me. The T1 is not a headphone I like but it is perfect for others. Again liking a headphone is subjective. ZMF is an exception on resale value for the most part. But lately, even they have been selling for a lower resale than in the past. I have owned ZMF and I like it. But I have owned like 50 pairs of headphones over the years and now days I choose to have 1 open back and 1 closed back. I chose the Elite as the open back…..I have owned many many others (including most of the TOTL) and that is what I settled on. It isn’t to your liking and that is fine….

The point isn’t about affording or maintenance. The point is …. If you are not willing to put together a TOTL chain….then dont bother with a TOTL headphone…. Or at least dont bitch about it when it doesnt sound that much better then your midfi on your midfi chain.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #29 of 31
The T1 is too bright with too little bass. Elite for me is the most forgiving TOTL headphone with amazing comfort which is very important to me. The T1 is not a headphone I like but it is perfect for others. Again liking a headphone is subjective. ZMF is an exception on resale value for the most part. But lately, even they have been selling for a lower resale than in the past. I have owned ZMF and I like it. But I have owned like 50 pairs of headphones over the years and now days I choose to have 1 open back and 1 closed back. I chose the Elite as the open back…..I have owned many many others (including most of the TOTL) and that is what I settled on. It isn’t to your liking and that is fine….

The point isn’t about affording or maintenance. The point is …. If you are not willing to put together a TOTL chain….then dont bother with a TOTL headphone…. Or at least dont bitch about it when it doesnt sound that much better then your midfi on your midfi chain.

Nobody's bitching, calm those emotions a bit. Entry/ Mid level quality product for premium is called a scam. And you know who are the main customers for those, right? Cryptobros, or hobbyists.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #30 of 31
Nobody's bitching, calm those emotions a bit. Entry/ Mid level quality product for premium is called a scam. And you know who are the main customers for those, right? Cryptobros, or hobbyists.
It is going to be ok man….what you are feeling right now is called buyers remorse. You didnt like the headphone you purchased for a lot of money. I have been there many times too.

Here is your happy solution. Sell your Elite for $2500. Buy another $4000 headphone used for $2500 Which you might like the sound signature better. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back