Meze 99 Classics - Upgrade Advice (UK)
Mar 30, 2023 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rebel0014

New Head-Fier
Hi guys - got some 99 Classics in walnut / silver and absolutely love the build, comfort levels and think they sound amazing.

Sound is rich and detailed.

I know people find them too bassy and have upgraded pads / wires but it seems expensive to do.

But I wondered if doing so improved the sound further. They are a hugh upgrade in sound to the Beyerdymanic 700 I was using (and hated).

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi guys - got some 99 Classics in walnut / silver and absolutely love the build, comfort levels and think they sound amazing.

Sound is rich and detailed.

I know people find them too bassy and have upgraded pads / wires but it seems expensive to do.

But I wondered if doing so improved the sound further. They are a hugh upgrade in sound to the Beyerdymanic 700 I was using (and hated).
Hi, I have Meze 99 Noir and I also used to have Beyerdynamic 700 before. Noirs come with two sets of pads and the difference between them is really noticeable. I would definitely recommend to upgrade the pads to the ones which reduce the bass slightly. It really feels like not just a reduction of bass, but overall improvement of the headphones. I'll try the cables next and see how it goes.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 4
Why not get a planar? They do things different in certain ways. That way you'll have (hopefully) two headphones you like rather than an incremental upgrade which could make the older pair obsolete.

If that doesn't appeal then the 109 Pro will probably be the defacto suggestion for a direct upgrade. I nearly went that way but after 3 demo's decided it was not for me. (I preferred the 660S2 which I listened to at the same time).

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Not that the OP ever replied but ... for the good of all mankind, the best pads I have tried for the 99 are Brainwavz's Velour. I also have the sheepskin angled and sheepskin flat (don't ask, I got a little carried away).

20240309-212813.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back