Metrum Acoustics Musette vs GUNGNIR Multibit
Jun 13, 2016 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mentt

100+ Head-Fier
Is there somebody who has experience with Metrum Acoustics Musette and also GUNGNIR Multibit? What are differences? If you compare them how they sound? I like warm, fast sound with lot of body and good soundstage. I hate analytical DACs. I like musical DACs that can wake up emotions during the listen.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 9
Is there somebody who has experience with Metrum Acoustics Musette and also GUNGNIR Multibit? What are differences? If you compare them how they sound? I like warm, fast sound with lot of body and good soundstage. I hate analytical DACs. I like musical DACs that can wake up emotions during the listen.

Yes. Buy the Gungnir Multibit; it is not an analytical DAC but is in fact very musical, and its staging and resolution of microdetail is superior to the Musette. However, I would be very happy to own the Metrum Acoustics Pavane.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 9

I listened very closely to both. I'm not going to add anything to the post above, in terms of sound.
In terms of feature-set, have you done the research:

1. Balanced output on the Gungnir, single-ended only on the Musette
  2. Two sets of single-ended outputs on the Gungnir (and I have plans to use these)
  3. Two COAX input on the Musette, Gungnir (1) COAX and (1) BNC
  4. Takes about a week of burn-in, but then the Musette warms up quickly
  5. Takes about 24-hours of warm-up on the Gungnir, so do not let it power off

There's also a significant size difference between the two.

In short, I chose the Gungnir, but I would have no hesitation in choosing the Musette, had I come across it first. It is a musical DAC, no question.

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 9
  I listened very closely to both. I'm not going to add anything to the post above, in terms of sound.
In terms of feature-set, have you done the research:

1. Balanced output on the Gungnir, single-ended only on the Musette
  2. Two sets of single-ended outputs on the Gungnir (and I have plans to use these)
  3. Two COAX input on the Musette, Gungnir (1) COAX and (1) BNC
  4. Takes about a week of burn-in, but then the Musette warms up quickly
  5. Takes about 24-hours of warm-up on the Gungnir, so do not let it power off

There's also a significant size difference between the two.

In short, I chose the Gungnir, but I would have no hesitation in choosing the Musette, had I come across it first. It is a musical DAC, no question.

Thank you for reply. Which one is more musical and more engaging ?

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 9

Thank you for reply. Which one is more musical and more engaging ?

Very personal, and you might think I'm crazy (or perhaps I misinterpret the definition of the words - was never good as music theory, but here goes).

The Metrum Musette sounded more musical. As in, when I listen to an acoustic instrument, I can pick out the fine details of that instrument with more clarity on the Musette. This was in stark contrast to say the Chord sound (Hugo and Mojo) which I found to be fast and accurate, but not musical. Electronic music is good on the Chord products I've heard. But Jazz and Classical, the stuff that was recorded with a microphone in real physical space, sounds more real on the Musette. And the Musette still eeked out a hair more of this musical detail versus the Gungnir.

However once the music starts, the Gungnir Multibit was more moving and engaging. Bach - Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007, played by Yo-Yo Ma from the soundtrack of Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is an excellent piece to feel this difference. And your ears may prefer the sound of the Musette, but I felt physically moved by the Gungnir. It is cerebral, for me, with the Musette. It moves my entire body with the Gungnir. I can't tell you what causes this - it just happens. Happens even more with the Yggdrasil, which moves your body and adds back in the details.

But all of these deltas are quite slight. I am keeping my Gungnir, and could wholeheartedly recommend the Musette.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 9
  Very personal, and you might think I'm crazy (or perhaps I misinterpret the definition of the words - was never good as music theory, but here goes).

The Metrum Musette sounded more musical. As in, when I listen to an acoustic instrument, I can pick out the fine details of that instrument with more clarity on the Musette. This was in stark contrast to say the Chord sound (Hugo and Mojo) which I found to be fast and accurate, but not musical. Electronic music is good on the Chord products I've heard. But Jazz and Classical, the stuff that was recorded with a microphone in real physical space, sounds more real on the Musette. And the Musette still eeked out a hair more of this musical detail versus the Gungnir.

However once the music starts, the Gungnir Multibit was more moving and engaging. Bach - Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007, played by Yo-Yo Ma from the soundtrack of Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is an excellent piece to feel this difference. And your ears may prefer the sound of the Musette, but I felt physically moved by the Gungnir. It is cerebral, for me, with the Musette. It moves my entire body with the Gungnir. I can't tell you what causes this - it just happens. Happens even more with the Yggdrasil, which moves your body and adds back in the details.

But all of these deltas are quite slight. I am keeping my Gungnir, and could wholeheartedly recommend the Musette.

Thank you again for reply!

What about body? I have read on audiostream.com that Musette can sound thin. I like my music to sound “full” and not as “shelled” music. Which DAC is more suitable for music like “radiohead” ? Or do you think that it is worth to save up for Yggdrasil? I will be using it only with speakers and not headphones, will there will be difference in your recommendation in this scenario?

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 9

Thank you again for reply!

What about body? I have read on audiostream.com that Musette can sound thin. I like my music to sound “full” and not as “shelled” music. Which DAC is more suitable for music like “radiohead” ? Or do you think that it is worth to save up for Yggdrasil? I will be using it only with speakers and not headphones, will there will be difference in your recommendation in this scenario?

Did you ever see the movie Immortal Beloved? Fictional or not, there's was a great line in that film where Beethoven is explaining the meaning of music to the gentleman, who would later in the story take over the settlement of his estate after his death - in the fiction, Beethoven was not a loved man. But this man was as close a friend as he could have, and was changed in the moment Beethoven explained this to him, shown in the first quote from IMDb, linked below:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110116/quotes

You should read the full quote there. But the key point of it lies in the words:

It is the power of music to carry one directly into the mental state of the composer. The listener has no choice. It is like hypnotism. So, now... What was in my mind when I wrote this? Hmm? A man is trying to reach his lover. His carriage has broken down in the rain. The wheels stuck in the mud. She will only wait so long. This... is the sound of his agitation. "This is how it is... ," the music is saying. "Not how you are used to being. Not how you are used to thinking. But like this."

I've started to read a few negative reviews of the Yggdrasil - and I suspect the reason is thus. The Yggdrasil does not suggest music - it is music. That is, as the quote says above, if the music is angst, tension, and agitation, the listener does not think about this - the listener is psycho-acoustically transported into this state of mind. The Yggdrasil is unrelenting in its possession of you while you are listening to it.

Is this a good thing - sometimes.

I justified the purchase of the Yggdrasil by putting it into a stereo system. If you don't understand, stereo systems of the caliber of a Yggdrasil and Ragnarok stack tend to add another decimal place to the price. The stack, when used in a high end speaker system, is a relative bargain. Yet when I find myself listening to a piece of music, such as the cries of the millions of lost souls in World War II represented by the period piece Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber, I find my emotions spent. Even recalling the moment wisps me back to a recollection of terrible, terrible pain. I often listen to the Yggdrasil and state, out loud, music should not have this power - it should not have such a direct to nervous system connection, simply by sending waves out across the air.

Now if this sounds interesting, or what you would want to listen to day-in-day-out, Yggdrasil may be for you! (I can only imagine how exhausted I would be after listening to Exit Music (For a Film) by Radiohead. I probably would not be able to listen to music of any kind for the next few hours.) So I personally listen to a Gungnir Multibit in my headphone system, and I can listen to that for many hours, without such an often exhaustive, emotional connection to the music. I just enjoy it!

And per your first question - neither DAC is thin, but Gungnir Multibit has more body.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 9
Sheldaze, thanks for such a great description of both. I have a musette feeding a Wells Audio Milo. It is a sublime combo. Musical, cerebral, and full of body. I used to plug my Musette into a Deckard and can attest to a thinner (still not thin) overall signature as the Deckard just doesn't do what the Milo does. The Musette is a very delicate DAC. It doesn't beat you into submission, it just presents music in a clean and articulate manner. I have not heard the Gugnir so I am in no position to compare it or discount anything you or anyone else has said. I can say without hesitation that if someone is looking for a great DAC, The Musette has a friendly price to performance ratio. By all means, plug it into a Milo. My Musette is fully burned in, my Milo is not. Each day the combo gets better. I can't wait until I reach its equilibrium.

What do you recommend for a next DAC when I am ready to move on from The Musette? I was told the 2Qute. I am more interested in The Audio-GD NOS 7, Directstream Junior, Lampizator 4, or the Holo Spring DAC3. I know I am leaving a lot of amazing DACs out. The Milo will be staying put as I am hard pressed to find a better AMP without absolutely breaking the bank. Thank you!

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 9
I would recommend Yggdrasil. Realism and natural sounding with no fatigue. Micro details present in abundance and bass will transfix you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back