Methanol powered portables
Sep 19, 2005 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

breez

500+ Head-Fier
Toshiba has announced two digital audio players which use methanol fuel cells in place of traditional batteries. A flash player with 3.5ml tank and 35h of play time and a HD player with 10ml and a whopping 60 hours!
eek.gif
The technology will be seen in commercial market in 2007.

Press release: http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2005_09/pr1601.htm

Seems like a winner technology to me and not just for portable DAPs, but digital cameras and portable PCs too.

Discuss!

Sep 19, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 18
Methanol is pretty volatile by nature, so I'm going to have to say that it's pretty flammable
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 20, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Does that mean that carbon dioxide and water vapor will be spouting from your player while it's playing?
tongue.gif
That somehow seems way cool.

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkin72
If only it was ethanol... something like a bourbon powered DAP would be really cool
icon10.gif

Maaaaaaaan, that would be the best!!!! Music AND Booze.

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 18
There's a problem when you have to re-fill the tank. Depending on the safety standards, consumers may be forced to take the tanks to special re-fill stations. That would be very inconvenient. That plan was to allow consumers to buy re-fill packs but that may not happen because of the volatility of methanol.

Sep 20, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkin72
If only it was ethanol... something like a bourbon powered DAP would be really cool
icon10.gif

hehe, kinda like homer and him imagining the alcohol powered car:
"one for you, one for me, one for you, one for me"

Sep 20, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 18
There is research into a direct ethanol powered fuel cell. It may happen.

From the methanol cell, emissions are indeed CO2, water vapor, and heat. In fact these things will make about twice as much heat as electricity (although they hope to get up to 40% efficiency). Probably a nice thing in cold climates.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back