Metcal PS800 or SP200?
Mar 25, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #16 of 17
I have just been given a 'broken' SP-800, changed the element part and bingo!, its much better than my old weller tcp, perfect for SMD with the 0.5mm tip I bought. I cant see why I would need anything higher unless I was soldering massive joints or really thick cables. I am now soldering onto things that was impossible to achieve using the TCP, the heat up time is damn good, no more than 5 I would say, nice silicon cables and silicon pad to change the hot tips, good meter length of cable and very flexible.
Also it takes up less desk real-estate than the SP-200(or MX series) or most Wellers, I challenge anyone doing SMD soldering to give me a good reason why you need anything better than this?.
(Except if you need the nice range of large rework heads for PLCC's and such found on some higher end models)

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #17 of 17
Hi all! I must say I'm am pleased to say I've worked with SP200 MX500 PS800 and few others. the thing is, if you have money around, go for the top! its better but will probably be an overkill and very underused. I have a SP200 for hobby but I was considering getting an PS800 since the tips are very very cheap! on the so200 VS PS800 I could say; the SP200 recovers stupidly quick and PS800 takes a while with something like an SMD FET transistor (like the TO220 but with the tab clipped out) but still PS800 can solder-it nicely! (I'm using lead free!) so... if you are wondering about heavy soldering (big pads to heat up) bo higher in the scale and buy a SP200 or better. remember, Ebay could be your friend! just forget about the cables and tips that came with it... (most of the times are over used and SP200 tends to break up the contacts on the tip side...) good luck and soldering :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back