Metallica's "Enter Sandman"
Dec 4, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #16 of 35
Well I might take some slack for this in this particular thread, but I equate 'Enter Sandman' with the end of Metallica - the Metallica of my youth that I enjoyed so much week-in week-out playing (on instruments) with my friends in the basement. Sadly, the earlier albums don't all share the same quality of production as the 'Black' album, but the music was a whole lot more enjoyable imho and thus remains special. I just didn't care enough for the songs on the 'Black' album and the sudden change to only slower tempo songs was such a disappointment. And what came after the 'Black' album... those 2 'Load' cd's... yep, aptly named they were.

I'll take 'Justice' any day with it's distinct (yea, let's call it distinct) sound over the rest. To me, that was their masterpiece and was actually the first compact disc I ever purchased. The only album currently on my mp3 player from Metallica is 'Kill 'em All' - always brings a smile to my face.

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #17 of 35
Well the thing with Metallica is that they have launched very different sounding albums. That is one thing I always give them credit for. As much as St.Anger sucked, there were moments that pumped me up and made me wanna break stuff.

What I like about their albums are
The speed and madness of Kill 'em all.
The Benchmark for metal for years to come with Ride and Master of Puppets.
The technicality and song writing skills shown in Justice,
The mainstream, approachable metal for the masses with Black album,
the experimental bluesy, hard rock, dark vibe in Load and Re Load,
the throwback to old school with a heavier flavour with Garage Inc,
the epic feel of S&M,
and the sheer rage and anger belting out St.Anger.

Wonder where they are headed next. Even though I do not listen to their albums as much nowadays, and the whole Napster thing left a bad taste in my mouth, but nevertheless...Metallica was the reason I started listening to metal, and started playing drums. Respect!

Dec 4, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

and the albums before the black where done in the garage or underground way..they sound like crap. of course you can pick up a Hoffman release of some of the older stuff if you want quality (they are amazing!).

Original CD's were messed up, (child-diseases of whole compact disc format) but original Vinyl and later remasters of CDs are really well mastered. The sound is supposed to be "dirty" on guitar department, that gives guitars its violent harshness that defined the genre Thrash Metal, (and Metallica was pretty much king of that genre at that time) unlike their softened and approacheable later albums.

But yeah, Black album was the last good Metallica album, before downfall. Decent music (and Reload was my gateway to metal-music too), but no longer Metallica they are famous of, even nowadays.

I do remember the time I used to blast out Sad But True and Enter Sandman from my cassette player, a tape which my cousin copied from his CD. Bad quality, but still good old times.
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #21 of 35
Meh squared.

In hindsight everything that happened to Metallica was somewhat present on the Black Album. We should have known what they were to become.

It is nice that they rectified the atrocious mixing of Justice with some ridiculously huge bass drum sound on the black album, but other than that the edge was lost. Including, and maybe especially, Enter Sandman.

To each their own I suppose.

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by miTunes75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What good brand of speakers and amps and stuff should I look into to invest to get this type of impact I'm looking for (No, I'm not turning this into a different thread...just a quick ?). There's other music that I have that I would love to get the crap kicked out of me with the music, ya know?

Heh heh, Klipsch Reference Series and pro amps will knock your socks off. I just upgraded to a pair of RF-7s and a Crown XTI 1000. I'm having a BLAST!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

As for Metallica, meh, they're alright. The DVD-A of the Black Album has drums up the wazoo...

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #23 of 35
Well, from talking to other metal fans who were listening to metal at that time and from my own listening experience of Metallica here is how I interpret the black album:

It is a great album, but it's not what it should of been! Listening to it after the other albums you realize it's not their original genre and also a departure from "real" (many many brackets there) metal. It's both one of their best album and the sign of their last good album!

I own a couple of Metallica CD's (ride the lightning, master of puppets and black album namely) and I like all of these a lot. But I'm certainly not going to buy anything released after those, one because I don't enjoy them, but especially not after the Napster stunt. They got known from tape trading, which is the equivalent to today's mp3 sharing (in underground music, NOT popular music).

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #24 of 35
Great song.

Getting back to Sad But True's drums, they are a good litmus test to see if you can tell the difference between MP3 and lossless, and different MP3 bit lenghts. The best test I've found thus far. (Though I stopped using MP3's a while ago).

The US Military used Enter Sandman to intimidate their Arabic captives. They thought it was the devils music
tongue.gif

The only album I have legitimately hated is St. Anger.

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #25 of 35
I'm clearly in the minority, but I actually like the most recent Metallica albums best.

I got into them around the Load/Re-Load period, so I took the albums for what they were: really good hard rock. I didn't have the same expectations as long-time fans did regarding how the band's "sound" changed.

I've since delved into the earlier albums (pre-Black Album), and I've grown to like those as well. The Justice album has probably become my favourite record of theirs, interestingly enough.

I guess I'm just fine with a band changing directions and having more than one distinct musical style.

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #26 of 35
I am very tired of Enter Sandman. I used to think it was pretty good, and its still a very catchy tune to this day, but to me its played out as can be. I call every bands mega-hit their "Enter Sandman". "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is Nirvana's "Enter Sandman". And what's with all the raving about the drums? Lars sucks. Almost all other metal drummers would eat him for breakfast.

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by miTunes75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What good brand of speakers and amps and stuff should I look into to invest to get this type of impact I'm looking for (No, I'm not turning this into a different thread...just a quick ?). There's other music that I have that I would love to get the crap kicked out of me with the music, ya know?

PSB Platinum T8 towers powered by a McIntosh MA6900 integrated amp should do just fine.

Dec 7, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #28 of 35
I quite enjoy Enter Sandman. It does smack a bit too much of Bob Rock's production and what he did to other bands I liked (Motley Crue & Skid Row) to make them more radio friendly.

Either way, I still put on the black album occasionally and enjoy it.

I miss music like this.

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what's with all the raving about the drums? Lars sucks. Almost all other metal drummers would eat him for breakfast.

Not the drum quality but the quantity. It is mixed so forward on some songs, it gives a big palpable impact. Same effect as the song Raunioilla from Moonsorrow.

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #30 of 35
Makes you think before getting some needed shuteye!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back