Metallica vs Megadeth
Feb 14, 2009 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey, all forums must have this topic if they are to be considered a music forum. Which band do you guys like more? I am personally of the opinion that Megadeth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Metallica. Friedman, Poland, Ellefson and co are just far more talented than the Metallica crew. And Mustaine writes far better songs.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 21
I might jump in on this more when I can get ahold of some more Megadeth (love Diadems a lot), but I will note I like (and listen to regularly) more of Metallica's songs than any other artist with a similar song output.

Songs like Enter Sandman, Wherever I May Roam, Nothing Else Matters, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Master of Puppets, the entire S&M collection, and others are big reasons why I like Metallica so much.

For me, it more often comes to Metallica vs. Iron Maiden than anything else. I just haven't heard enough Megadeth to personally make a more fair comparison.

I am in strong opposition of the way Metallica conducts business in the industry, for the record (another day, another topic).

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 21
Megadeth!!!!!

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 21
Metallica vs. Megadeth has been done to death. Here are some more interesting thrash debates:

Kreator vs. Sodom vs. Destruction (best Teutonic thrash)

Voivod vs. Coroner (best technical thrash)

Morbid Saint vs. Demolition Hammer (best "unknown" thrash)

Dark Angel vs. Death Angel vs. Angel Witch (best thrash/speed metal band with "angel" in the name)

etc.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 21
Well my opinion may be a bit dated. I was really into metal in the 80's and 90's, not much since. But the opinions I formed during that time would be as follows:
Live - Megadeath > Metallica
Studio Recordings - Metallica w/ Cliff > Megadeath > Metallica after Cliff.

Of course they both deserve credit for not allowing popular American metal to exist entirely in the realm of spandex, makeup and hairspray.

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 21
Metallica produced nothing more that some decent thrash, i know little of Megadeth, just "Peace Sells...", and it's better than anything i heared from Metallica...let alone other bands named by ezk,far better, if you want to find out what thrash metal is,stay away from Metallica...

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 21
I think it was only first one Kill Em All. RTL and MOP were Metallicas own handy work.

Metallica > Megadeth for me. Megadeth can write intelligent and well thought music, but Metallica had the basics better then. They just make you grab from the balls make you headbang, something I cannot do with Megadeth for some reason. Its too different type of music.

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it was only first one Kill Em All. RTL and MOP were Metallicas own handy work.

Metallica > Megadeth for me. Megadeth can write intelligent and well thought music, but Metallica had the basics better then. They just make you grab from the balls make you headbang, something I cannot do with Megadeth for some reason. Its too different type of music.

In the 80's i liked both bands a lot and still do listen whenever the mood strikes me. With Megadeth, you actually want to listen to what Mustaine is singing about whereas with Hetfeild you don't really care what he to say and just bang your head.
Also i never listen to any Metallica music after The Black Album. The rest is just dreadful.

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

With Megadeth, you actually want to listen to what Mustaine is singing about whereas with Hetfeild you don't really care what he to say and just bang your head.

Precisely! Though Metallica is not too bad in lyrics department either, songs like Disposable Heroes and For Whom The Bell Tolls are good examples, but Megadeth has so much more of them and some of them are very amusing too (Sweating Bullets makes me smile widely!). Musically Megadeth is simply less headbanging.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope, Mustaine did some of the stuff in RTL. That's why RTL is my favourite Metallica album, even if Mustaine didn't write most of the stuff his influence on that album is unmistakable. It would have been interesting to see how Master of Puppets would have turned out had Mustaine stayed.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 21
Metallica is historically more significant since they had better albums sooner and thus more influential to development of the metal scence in 1980s.

Best Metallica albums 1983-1988
Best Megadeth albums 1986-1992

Most people started with Metallica and then as they went downhill migrated over to Megadeth, by 1992 the USA metal scence and record contracts dried up as grunge and rap flooded the MTV airwaves
frown.gif

(back when MTV actually played music videos and had power to influence public buying of music)

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 21
Megadeth. I tend to like songs with some politics/social commentary.

I also like the solo albums from Marty Friedman and Chris Poland. I don't think I'd be interested in an album by Kirk. Having said that Hetfield is a much better singer than Mustaine.

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 21
'Kill'em All' is one of my desert island discs - I have loved every note on that album since I was 14 when it came out. Everything pales in comparison - Metallica post 'Kill'em All', Megadeth and all the endless Metallica-esque thrash bands that came out afterwards...yes, I know Mustaine co-wrote some of the best tracks but imagine Metallica with Mustaine but no Hetfield? Hetfield never sang better in my estimation and after 'Ride the Lightning' I moved on from Metallica and metal in general and started grooving to the British hardcore bands that influenced the scene: G.B.H., Discharge, etc. Anyone heard G.B.H.'s 'City Baby Attacked by Rats' - check it out. I did enjoy Metallica's cover of Discharge on 'Garage, Inc.' - I wish that they had done a whole album of hardcore covers instead of doing dumb stuff like that album with the symphony - Jump in the Fire?Jump the Shark!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back