Metallica Guitarists vs Iron Maiden's
May 26, 2006 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Mr Iriver

1000+ Head-Fier
Who do you guys like better out of the guitarists of these two bands?

A lot of people say Kirk is overrater, but I think he has an awesome playing ability.

I think Kirk can play the best out of these guitarist, but for me Iron Maiden's deva murray writes more music with more complexity.

May 26, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 28
For lead guitar, I'd take Dave Murray and Adrian Smith over Kirk Hammett any day. I don't think Hammett really became a great lead guitarist until Load, which ironically is when most people stopped listening to Metallica. But his solo on "Bleeding Me" is probably the highlight of his career IMO. Meanwhile, the solo work by Murray and Smith is amazing. The "dueling" lead guitar work, the seamless transitions from one guitarist to the next in the middle of a solo, what more could you ask for? And to hear it live on Live After Death still blows me away. Now rhythm guitar? It's tough to beat James Hetfield's right hand. Say what you want about his vocals ("Yeah!") and the band's later efforts, but his rhythm guitar work, using primarily down-strokes, was just great... nobody could do it better than his work on Master of Puppets, and I'd say ...And Justice For All if the guitar sound wasn't so thick and muddy. And all of that said, I'm still a bigger fan of Metallica. If I had to pick one thing that always kept Maiden from moving ahead of Metallica, I'd have to say it was Bruce Dickenson's voice. Oh well...

May 26, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 28
Lead-wise, I must agree. Adrian Smith plays perhaps the most emotive and glistening solos in metal, and has for a LOOOONG time now. I once heard someone call him the "David Gilmour of metal," a tag which I find quite apt. Murray has the capacity to play anything Hammet does, and generally manages to be more musically interesting as well. (I take it we're not even discussing Mr Gers, if so, chalk up one win for ol' Kirkie).

For rythm stuff, yeah Hetfield was once the man, but when the guy hasn't written anything every metal in well over a decade, it's hard to say he does better than the guys who are still putting out good material. Sure Maiden doesn't play anything as fast or powerful as what Metallica did in the 80's, but neither does Metallica, since '91.

May 26, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 28
I wouldn't say early Metallica and Maiden are as comparable as people say because theyre both completely different metal genres, however once Metallica "sold out" I believe the comparison is more valid, and in any case I'll take the Maiden guitarists as I prefer their style.

Metallica and Megadeth are a closer comparison.

May 26, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
Who do you guys like better out of the guitarists of these two bands?

A lot of people say Kirk is overrater, but I think he has an awesome playing ability.

I think Kirk can play the best out of these guitarist, but for me Iron Maiden's deva murray writes more music with more complexity.

you're absolutely right. Kirk (as well as Hetfield with rhythm guitar) is great for pure speed and thrash, but Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, even Janick Gers are much more musical with lots of flourish... it's like each and every note they play is painstakenly picked out for full effect.

gotta love Maiden's signature duelling guitar double attack!
biggrin.gif
and of course Steve Harris' galloping bass playing is amazing... hell, cheers for Nicko McBrain too! and Brucie, what an amazing foghorn voice. praise for the whole band!
icon10.gif
and Eddie too!

May 26, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 28
I'm taking H Smith over Kirk any day.

Non of them counts as a true guitar hero like Yngwie, Petrucci or Vai does, but still H is a more complex performer with broader technique than Kirk.

May 26, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 28
I think the 2 bands are completely different styles of music and playing. Metallica (pre-1988) ... thrash, speed metal, sometimes even punk. Metallica with Pantera and Anthrax defined a style. Iron Maiden... Neo-classic metal, defined that style along with early Yngwie, deep purple, Dio, sabbath.

I couldn't pick one over the other. Some of the lyrical styles, musical harmonies and melodies are unparalleled in rock music. Although of all the players I like Kirk Hammet the least. IMHO James hetfield is a VERY good lead player. Some of his solos are so tight, defined and his sense of melody and timing are unique... in a big field of mindless speed-wankers, James solos really stand out... IMHO.

I dont think Kirk hammet is over rated though. IMHO he is a very good rhythm player. For me, thats the HARDEST part about guitar playing.... holding a steady rhythym, and keeping time throughout the different phrases of a tune. I listen to bands like Kings-X and Dreamtheater... it boggles my mind how those bands can keep time from time change to time change throughout a tune.

Garrett

May 26, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 28
I'm not a guitar guy by any means. Most of the time solos annoy me. But I've always loved the Smith/Murry sound. (and of course, Downing/Tipton as well).. but yea, there's some great solos in Metallica's music, but I just don't think of them as being on the same level as Maiden's. Hell, 20 years later the solos in the songs "Powerslave" and "Revelations" alone still give me goosebumps..

-jar

May 26, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 28
Solos: Maiden (Adrian/Dave twin leads).

Rhythm: Hetfield (the vintage era stuff).

Kirk: Hides behind his wah-wah to make up for his pathetic lack of talent. And even manages to hit awful bum notes on his studio efforts
tongue.gif

May 27, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 28
Easily Maiden's Dave Murray and Adrian Smith, their signature duelling guitarists is like no other, although I still think that Kirk is talented as well.

May 28, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #13 of 28
Kirk was talented. Right now, he hasn't played a good solo in years. He was pretty fast, though nowhere near Michael Angelo or Shawn Lane for speed, but then again neither were Murray or Smith. But, both Murray and Smith were far ahead of Hammett when it came to touch, expression, tone, phrasing, etc.

Smith's best playing was on "The Chemicall Wedding" where he was paired up with Roy Z, another exceptional guitarist. There, their solos were far bluesier and more melodic, though the fast moments were also faster. I really liked that disk more than anything that Maiden had ever done, though "Seventh Son..." was pretty close.

May 28, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
If I had to pick one thing that always kept Maiden from moving ahead of Metallica, I'd have to say it was Bruce Dickenson's voice. Oh well...

Really? I've always liked his voice better than the Metallica lead singer's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back