Metal with violins/cellos
Jan 17, 2004 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bsdfish

New Head-Fier
I'm generally a big fan of progressive metal, and have really enjoyed the 5th track of Dream Theater's "Train of Thought" (Vacant), as well as Appocalyptica's Reflections. Can anybody suggest more music of a similar genre -- that includes violins or cellos? It doesn't have to be hardcore metal.

Thanks. bsdfish

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 6
I guess you will be flooded with recommendations from the Darkest Desires thread, heh. "Our metal" has a lot of classical influences. I would suggest you to check out the following :

Silentium - Altum & Sufferion (Orchestratic and a bit progressive metal, not too hardcore. Sufferion also has a concept story in it)

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale (Progressive, psychedelic, orchestratic, complex and moody. In one word, great. A definite classic imo.)

Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress (Slow, melancholic, doom metal with heavy use of strings and classical interludes. Maybe one of the most depressing albums ever made. _The_ album to be listened alone in the dark)

Those should get you started.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 6
The two that come to mind right away are

My Dying Bride : awesome doom metal band that used to have a Violin player.

I would recommend starting with this one :

My Dying Bride – The Angel and the Dark River

The another band is Mago de Oz who has a regular Violin player, who happen to play most of the solos in the songs with heavy use of classical and celtic tunes in his style. The band has a neo-classical/progressive/power/celtic/ folk Metal style.

I would recommend starting with this one :

Mago de Oz – Leyenda de la Mancha

edit:

Both bands have normal metal style singing.

Jan 17, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 6
There are lots of doom metal bands using violins. There's also a dark/hardcore/punk band called REMAINS OF THE DAY which uses a violin.
I don't like doom metal with violins etc., I think it makes the music too "sweet", for teenagers, mainstream oriented etc. I prefer the basic metal instruments: guitar, bass, drums....

Jan 18, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 6
On a more progressive-metal lineage...

Check out the folk-metal band Skyclad - violin plays a pretty prominent role in their stuff. I only have a couple of theirs but Prince of the Poverty Line seems like a decent starting point. I wouldn't call it a must-have by any stretch of the imagination, but it definitely fits what you're looking for.

Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness is very heavily orchestrated, with lots of string arrangements. Probably the best new(er) example of Dream Theater-derived symphonic metal out there that I've heard.

I don't think The Gathering use any (real) strings, but "In Motion #2" off of Mandylion and "Morphia's Waltz" from if_then_else are great pieces with pretty good faux-string arrangements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back