Metal with good headphones...WOW!
Jun 16, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #16 of 46
OP please listen to this. If you have a good rig this song will BLOW YOUR MIND

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #18 of 46
I meant he should listen to some non-mainstream Metal in general, those are just examples of what most people clueless about the genre take to be "Metal" and nothing else. Stratovarius is great.

Really? A lot of people here have no clue who Maiden is here... Megadeth is a little better known. Metallica is the "yeah I know metal, I played that song 'One' on Guitar Hero" band here. Metallica is the metal band of the clueless person that could care less whether they really know metal of any kind. Then you have the pretender metal fan/emo-kid-wanting-to-look-more-emo-than-the-next group around here, that listens to whatever pop-metal crossover you can find, or some metalcore/nu-metal thing that compliments their "depression"

And I just saw a link on wikipedia to "Nintendocore"

...really?

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #19 of 46

Quote:
Quote:
I meant he should listen to some non-mainstream Metal in general, those are just examples of what most people clueless about the genre take to be "Metal" and nothing else. Stratovarius is great.

Really? A lot of people here have no clue who Maiden is here... Megadeth is a little better known. Metallica is the "yeah I know metal, I played that song 'One' on Guitar Hero" band here. Metallica is the metal band of the clueless person that could care less whether they really know metal of any kind. Then you have the pretender metal fan/emo-kid-wanting-to-look-more-emo-than-the-next group around here, that listens to whatever pop-metal crossover you can find, or some metalcore/nu-metal thing that compliments their "depression"

And I just saw a link on wikipedia to "Nintendocore"

...really?

Lol nintendocore, I remember listening to some of that a year back.

I don't know a single person who DOESN'T know who Iron Maiden or Metallica is, but I do know plenty who don't know who Megadeth are. I actually knew a guy who was "the biggest Metallica fan ever" because he had Enter The Sandman on his ipod. And yes, he had Guitar Hero III. Considering my age I of course though damn well about the garbage spinoffs you're talking about.

I got into all of this starting with stuff like Disturbed, BFMV, Linkin Park, Three Days Grace, Rise Against etc... (though never Slipknot surprisingly/thankfully) while I was still listening to Rap and didn't know a single real Metal band outside of Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Dragonforce. Only a few years later I have an enormous true Metal collection of Black Metal, Death, Symphonic, Technical, Progressive, Djent, Atmospheric, Avant-Garde, Thrash, Folk, Power... everything good.

But if you had thrown a (absolutely badass) track like Blackenedplague just did at me back when I didn't have a clue about Metal (like the OP), I certainly would've turned it off and passed it off as garbage. Point is you have to start somewhere and work your way up. We all have our time when we think Demon Burger is kvlt as ****
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #20 of 46

Quote:

But if you had thrown a (absolutely badass) track like Blackenedplague just did at me back when I didn't have a clue about Metal (like the OP), I certainly would've turned it off and passed it off as garbage. Point is you have to start somewhere and work your way up. We all have our time when we think Demon Burger is kvlt as ****
tongue.gif

This may be completely irrelevant to this thread but now I have to say this because I remember it. During the Sauna Open Air festival last weekend there was a hamburger van called Heviburger (heavyburger that is) which had hamburgers named after different bands: Alice In Cheese, Satyribacon, Chicken Of Bodom and of course a Dimmu Burger (which was a hot chipotle chili hamburger, kick ass!). And Green Day, vegetarian burger :) . Best hamburgers I have eaten in my life.

Sorry for off topic post.

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #21 of 46

Quote:

This may be completely irrelevant to this thread but now I have to say this because I remember it. During the Sauna Open Air festival last weekend there was a hamburger van called Heviburger (heavyburger that is) which had hamburgers named after different bands: Alice In Cheese, Satyribacon, Chicken Of Bodom and of course a Dimmu Burger (which was a hot chipotle chili hamburger, kick ass!). And Green Day, vegetarian burger :) . Best hamburgers I have eaten in my life.

cool.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #22 of 46

Quote:

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #24 of 46
As long as we are going off topic I just wanted to mention that I hate hiccups. CAN'T STAND THEM!!!!

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #26 of 46
Metal is a lot like other forms of music where there is a slow way of learning and understanding. First off metal is and has always been party music. It is about fun to start with. There is also a wonderful bond among metal people at a show. There are always your drunk agro trouble makers but as a whole metalheads are a close group in public. The group can get destructive though and tear down some set-ups or throw the seat covers off a whole concert venue.

It did get serious in the early 90s with Black Metal. Maybe metal needed to find itself again in a new form. Some of this is the hardest to understand at first. As you go along you may find that you end up liking many forms of metal. It is whatever sounds good. That is the main goal.

I had Megadeth's Pease Sells.....But Who's Buying?1986, when it came out but never followed the music of Megadeth after that. My Brother has always been a huge Megadeth fan so he started getting me CDs. I really don't care what Dave is outside of the music world. I know I like his music more than ever. So Far, So good....So What! 1988 is fantastic, Rust In Peace 1990 is Great. You want to look for the originals of those too as the remasters are way different than when they came out. 2009s End Game is one of the best metal releases for 2009! He is just an amazing guitar player. 

It seems that now there is more information out there than ever. In the mid eighties all we had was word of mouth. There were these home made tapes and sometimes they were recorded in a way that you didn't even know the correct song order. Kill em All was introduced to me that way. It was an underground movement which was real and very cool. We had tapes because no one had money and sometimes that was the only way to get the music. If you look on the back cover of Master Of Puppets you see a young hardworking radical Bay Area metal band. That is what metal is about. This working class party music which goes over different subject matter in the songs. Sometimes the songs are dark, sometimes angry, that is the emotion in metal. Beer is really important to the understanding of metal too. lol   

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #27 of 46

Quote:
Metal is a lot like other forms of music where there is a slow way of learning and understanding. First off metal is and has always been party music. It is about fun to start with. There is also a wonderful bond among metal people at a show. There are always your drunk agro trouble makers but as a whole metalheads are a close group in public. The group can get destructive though and tear down some set-ups or throw the seat covers off a whole concert venue.

It did get serious in the early 90s with Black Metal. Maybe metal needed to find itself again in a new form. Some of this is the hardest to understand at first. As you go along you may find that you end up liking many forms of metal. It is whatever sounds good. That is the main goal.

I had Megadeth's Pease Sells.....But Who's Buying?1986, when it came out but never followed the music of Megadeth after that. My Brother has always been a huge Megadeth fan so he started getting me CDs. I really don't care what Dave is outside of the music world. I know I like his music more than ever. So Far, So good....So What! 1988 is fantastic, Rust In Peace 1990 is Great. You want to look for the originals of those too as the remasters are way different than when they came out. 2009s End Game is one of the best metal releases for 2009! He is just an amazing guitar player. 

It seems that now there is more information out there than ever. In the mid eighties all we had was word of mouth. There were these home made tapes and sometimes they were recorded in a way that you didn't even know the correct song order. Kill em All was introduced to me that way. It was an underground movement which was real and very cool. We had tapes because no one had money and sometimes that was the only way to get the music. If you look on the back cover of Master Of Puppets you see a young hardworking radical Bay Area metal band. That is what metal is about. This working class party music which goes over different subject matter in the songs. Sometimes the songs are dark, sometimes angry, that is the emotion in metal. Beer is really important to the understanding of metal too. lol   

Completely untrue. Look past Metallica, Megadeth, and the like and Metal is absolutely not "party music". I bet this is the kind of thing that led to the OP to form his ridiculous opinion of Metal in the first place.

Jul 5, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #28 of 46
Really? Then what is it? Explain!

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #29 of 46

Quote:
Really? Then what is it? Explain!

You can't define a genre of music, and ESPECIALLY not one as insanely diverse as Metal. You can label it with characteristics (Pop is catchy, Metal is aggressive, etc) but you certainly can't "define" it's sound. Where is the "party" aspect in Windir, Kalmah, Behemoth, Anaal Nathrakh, Nokturnal Mortum, Carach Angren, Carpathian Forest, Ihsahn, Insomnium, and Agalloch, to name a few? Again, look past Metallica and friends.

Also off topic, but are you keeping your K701s around for Metal or something else?

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #30 of 46
Good point! I agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back