Metal with good headphones...WOW!
Jun 14, 2011 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

naurispunk

100+ Head-Fier

I've always ignored metal mainly because I felt that it's just a bunch of guys with long and pretty hair who try to outbest each other by playing guitar solos with most notes per second.

That said, I just watched a youtube video about balanced cables that had a nice metal intro and realized I haven't really listened to any metal songs since I started to pay attention to HiFi. Those heavy guitars with bass sound... kinda amazing :)

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 46
Jun 16, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 46

Quote:
I've always ignored metal mainly because I felt that it's just a bunch of guys with long and pretty hair who try to outbest each other by playing guitar solos with most notes per second.

That said, I just watched a youtube video about balanced cables that had a nice metal intro and realized I haven't really listened to any metal songs since I started to pay attention to HiFi. Those heavy guitars with bass sound... kinda amazing :)

How childish. Reminds me of when I was like 8, thinking Metal lovers were all crazy satanists and classical music was boring crap for old people.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 46

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #6 of 46

Quote:
How childish. Reminds me of when I was like 8, thinking Metal lovers were all crazy satanists and classical music was boring crap for old people.

You may call it childish but its kinda true for a lot of metal. I remember seeing interview with Dave Mustane where he was going on and on and on about how he intvented some technique to play guitar so fast that noone could keep up with him and he was the only one who can play it that fast and complex. Soo arogant and proud. Meanwhile all i could think was: "is this olympics or are you trying to get in Guinness book"?

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 46
Most technical death metal is pure horse crap. Bands like Brain Drill, Viraemia, and the ilk really are just trying to be more br00tal than each other. If you cannot make your point without having to jack off the guitars then kill yourself.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 46

Quote:
Most technical death metal is pure horse crap. Bands like Brain Drill, Viraemia, and the ilk really are just trying to be more br00tal than each other. If you cannot make your point without having to jack off the guitars then kill yourself.

You're amongst friends, Blackened ... no need to hold back.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 46

Quote:
You may call it childish but its kinda true for a lot of metal. I remember seeing interview with Dave Mustane where he was going on and on and on about how he intvented some technique to play guitar so fast that noone could keep up with him and he was the only one who can play it that fast and complex. Soo arogant and proud. Meanwhile all i could think was: "is this olympics or are you trying to get in Guinness book"?

Dude, even amongst metalheads Mustaine is seen as a douche. He is good, he is a great musician who has made great albums but as a person... an arrogant idiot. Atleast back then. He maybe different nowadays, I dont know. Atleast he has finally gotten over the fact that he was kicked out of Metallica. (bad drug issues)

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 46

Quote:

VERY common misconception. Though fast metal with blistering solos is great, it has so much more to offer. It has kazillion subgenres, all different, for a reason. In any case, it was particularly in the Thrash Metal era (what Mustaine's Megadeth represented for example) where bands were trying to be faster and more extreme than each other. There is a limit how fast band can be though, at some point riffs stop to being riffs and become just a mess. Now extremity is is searched from other things, including extreme and crushing slowness. :D

*edit* Oh god, now I HAVE to post this again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvuOiQop_xY
You wont find fast riffs and epic solos here, just restless feelings and bad dreams.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Damn blackenedplague, the first one is really nice! Though I am not really sure where the "experimental" part comes from in the description. Pretty much atmospheric black metal / blackened shoegaze to my ears.

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 46
Yeah, I am not a big fan of technical death metal (which is the main culprit of playing fast and technically just for the sake of playing fast and technically in metal), but there's definitely a lot of different aspects to metal, depending on what genre (and what band within that genre) you listen to, and their take on things.

Judas Priest (Heavy Metal) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8bveJelf6Y

In Flames (Melodic Death Metal) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QirxyOMNt0

I might add that listening to songs on youtube is almost guaranteed to nullify some of the effects of great headphones due to the subpar audio quality, Grooveshark is a much better option.

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 46

Quote:
You're amongst friends, Blackened ... no need to hold back.

Was that genuine agreement or sarcasm? I have no idea haha

Jun 16, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 46

Quote:

It just so happens I don't care for Dave Mustaine or Megadeth in the least. Go a little farther away from Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Dragonforce, etc and see how there is Metal that is absolutely nothing like what you think it is.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 46
It just so happens I don't care for Dave Mustaine or Megadeth in the least. Go a little farther away from Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Dragonforce, etc and see how there is Metal that is absolutely nothing like what you think it is.

Iron Maiden has actually gone pretty far into different styles if you looks at all of it. Paul Di'Anno was really more punky than later stuff by them. Early Dickinson is the stuff that really falls into the Metallica and Megadeth category. Blaze Bayley slowed them down quite a bit (listen to Fear of the Dark (9th album), then The X Factor (10th album)). Since Dickinson's return, they've gone into more long, drawn out, complex stuff rather than the 4 minute blistering riffs (but I'm not saying they've completely left their old rapid style at all).

That's not to say that they cover a lot, they're still mostly in the NWOBHM category (yes, even after the "new wave" is over)

One of my current favorites as far as metal goes is Stratovarius. While there are quite a few "Neo-Classical Metal" bands that I've heard, they just don't remind me of the style of Stratovarius in that area at all.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #15 of 46

Quote:
Quote:

Iron Maiden has actually gone pretty far into different styles if you looks at all of it. Paul Di'Anno was really more punky than later stuff by them. Early Dickinson is the stuff that really falls into the Metallica and Megadeth category. Blaze Bayley slowed them down quite a bit (listen to Fear of the Dark (9th album), then The X Factor (10th album)). Since Dickinson's return, they've gone into more long, drawn out, complex stuff rather than the 4 minute blistering riffs (but I'm not saying they've completely left their old rapid style at all).

That's not to say that they cover a lot, they're still mostly in the NWOBHM category (yes, even after the "new wave" is over)

One of my current favorites as far as metal goes is Stratovarius. While there are quite a few "Neo-Classical Metal" bands that I've heard, they just don't remind me of the style of Stratovarius in that area at all.

I meant he should listen to some non-mainstream Metal in general, those are just examples of what most people clueless about the genre take to be "Metal" and nothing else. Stratovarius is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back