metal vs carbon resistors, what is the difference?
Sep 30, 2007 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

gychang

100+ Head-Fier
I was supposed to get metal resistors rather than the carbon, to dampen the input sensitivity on the amplifier.

what is the difference?

thanks,

gychag

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gychang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was supposed to get metal resistors rather than the carbon, to dampen the input sensitivity on the amplifier.

what is the difference?

thanks,

gychag

Carbon is a noisier resistor. But some people claim to like carbon resistors better because the noise makes things sound warmer.

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 17
Carbon film resistors are often noisier than metal film resistors, although there are some exceptions. Riken and Kiwame make carbon film resistors that are as quiet as the very best metal film types. There are also carbon composition resistors, which are considerably noisier than film resistors.

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 17
One important difference between carbon and metal film resistors is drift. Carbons change value with heat and age. It's not something you want in most semiconductor circuits and not even in the CCS section of a tube amp (which maybe a semi-conductor circuit in many instances). Most likely, it's not something you want when setting the input impedance to an amp, either.

However, carbons are usually preferred if a resistor is needed between the output of an amp and your load (headphones) - because they often sound better directly in the signal path.

Amb even uses carbon resistors in the output of the Mini3 - a decidedly semi-conductor-based amp.

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, carbons are usually preferred if a resistor is needed between the output of an amp and your source - because they often sound better directly in the signal path.

In steped attenuator what kinda of resistors are beter ?

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zigis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oops - that was a typo.
rolleyes.gif
I meant to say between the amp and your load, or headphones. Typically, high quality metal films are used in a stepped attenuator.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amb even uses carbon resistors in the output of the Mini3 - a decidedly semi-conductor-based amp.

LOL, I specify carbon film there not for its "sound", it's because metal film resistors less than 10 ohms in that size are very hard to find. At any rate, with such a low resistance, and the location of the circuit, it makes little difference between metal or carbon film.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Carbons change value with heat and age.

They are also sensitive to moisture absorption. Again, drift, from which they never return.

Quote:

Kiwame make carbon film resistors that are as quiet as the very best metal film types.

I have read this many times, including on the manufacturer's web site. Unfortunately, I have never seen any specs that would confirm this, not even on the manufacturer's web site, which I find odd. I have not heard them however.

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amb
LOL, I specify carbon film there not for its "sound", it's because metal film resistors less than 10 ohms in that size are very hard to find. At any rate, with such a low resistance, and the location of the circuit, it makes little difference between metal or carbon film.

LOL - there I go assuming you did it because of sound. When there's a resistor in the direct output between amp and load, and it's carbon, I assumed that's because of the tonal quality.
wink.gif
Thanks for the explanation, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>
Quote:

Kiwame make carbon film resistors that are as quiet as the very best metal film types.

I have read this many times, including on the manufacturer's web site. Unfortunately, I have never seen any specs that would confirm this, not even on the manufacturer's web site, which I find odd. I have not heard them however.

Agreed - IMHO, Kiwames are "boutique" and have the qualities of same - good tonal qualities which may or may not be because they're quiet (more often because they roll off the highs) and a corresponding lack of specific performance data. Regardless, like a boutique capacitor - there are places where one is appropriate.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 17
i think it really depends on your preference. if you like a warmer sound and you dont plan on using your amp for a long time, i'd go carbon ^_^ i like that sound too

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
hi...can anyone help me?
i am confused about whether carbon resistors are semi-conductors or conductors. Can anyone answer me?
Thanks

A resistor impedes current flow and is indifferent to polarity.  A semiconductor blocks flow in one direction, but not the other.

An engineer may choose a certain resistor type based on analysis, measurement, and cost. However, if you DIY something like a headphone amp, go with whatever provides satisfactory results.

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
A resistor impedes current flow...

When I first started out in electronics in my mind I thought that with a resistor there is somehow some sort of blockage or restriction and that surely this would lead to a build up of heat, due to the electrical 'friction' and electrons trying to force their way through. Water analogies didn't help with this...

Makes no sense I know, just how my mind can tend to think at times.
biggrin.gif

Maybe I'd prefer, an "allower" which allows a certain amount of current flow, or something.
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

When I first started out in electronics in my mind I thought that with a resistor there is somehow some sort of blockage or restriction and that surely this would lead to a build up of heat, due to the electrical 'friction' and electrons trying to force their way through. Water analogies didn't help with this...

Resistors do heat up under high current (high being relative to the rating of the resistor).  If you put a 1/4 watt 15k resistor in a 120vac outlet, you'll push it to 1 watt, it'll get plenty warm, and probably smoke then catch on fire.  DISCLAIMER:  Don't jam a resistor into your wall outlet, you'll probably shock yourself if you're not careful.

This is why higher watt resistors are ceramic, in a TO-220 package so you can mount it to a heatsink, or other designs to keep the the resistor under it's smoke point.

Remember, energy is neither created nor removed, it changes form, in this case from electric to thermal.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Vishay z-foil naked. but they will cost u a fortune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back