Metal-Vocals
Feb 17, 2004 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tone

100+ Head-Fier
I was listening to dave grohl's metal album "probot" and the grunting vocals really got annoying after awhile.

I love the heavy guitars but i get sick of the gutteral barking vocals that seem to be a part of every metal, nu-metal, death-metal, whateva-metal song that i've heard for awhile.

Are there any bands out there right now who have more melodic type vocals and heavy guitars? I liked "kittie" for awhile and the female vocalist had a great voice when she sung but then she would ruin it with the grunts.

Feb 17, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 17
Hmmm, well on "probot" each song has a different vocalist...and some of the songs like "Shake Your Blood" (with Lemmy from Motorhead) aren't screamy at all...
confused.gif

How about some recent In Flames stuff, on Reroute To Remain alot of the choruses are very melodic and singy, but the verses still have quite shouty vocals. I suppose their's Lacuna Coil, but they're not really "HEAVY"

Meh, I dunno..
confused.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 17
I guess it was a bit unfair to put down the whole probot album but after listening to the first 3 songs on amazon (they only have the first 4 tracks up) i just couldn't take it anymore! Lemmy's song was the 4th track and i did like that one.

Thanks for the recomendations darkfusion!

Feb 17, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 17
Here's the tracklisting with the vocalists listed, to give you an idea of how the other tracks sound on the probot album:

“Centuries Of Sin” w/ Cronos (Venom)
“Red War” w/ Max Cavalera (Soulfly, Sepultura)
“Shake Your Blood” w/ Lemmy (Motorhead)
“Access Babylon” w/ Mike Dean (Corrosion of Conformity)
”Silent Spring” w/ Kurt Brecht (DRI)
”Ice Cold Man” w/ Lee Dorrian (Cathedral, Napalm Death)
”the Emerald Law” w/ Wino (St. Vitus, Obsessed, Spirit Caravan, Place of Skulls)
”Big Sky” w/Tom G. Warrior(Celtic Frost /Apollyon Sun)
”Dictatorsaurus” w/ Snake (Voivod)
”My Tortured Soul” w/ Eric Wagner (Trouble)
”Sweet Dreams” w/ King Diamond (Mercyful Fate)

Also check out Funeral For A Friend they're an AMAZING british band, they aren't really "METAL" but they do have excellent vocals and you'd probably like them anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 17
Dream Theater, although a lot of their stuff is far from "hard".

Opeth would be another group to consider, although they still have some "grunting" vocals.

Katatonia's "Tonight's Decision" is also something you should check out.

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 17
If you really listen to the lyrics or even read the lyrics as you are listening to the song, you will learn to appreciate it more. Some emotions just can not be expressed through "singy" type of singing.

Feb 18, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 17
If you want metal without grunting gutteral vocals, most metal bands called "traditional" or "power" metal might be up you alley. Most "progressive" metal bands don't have those kinds of vocals either. Check out www.metal-archives.com for artists that match these genres. Check out the album in my avatar/sig as well
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2004 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 17
Try out any of the Sentenced's last 4 albums. I believe www.sentenced.org has music videos and samples. Sentenced is one of the best known scandinavian "traditional" metal bands. Their sound is slightly similar to Metallica, but with more melancholy and songs based more on melodies than good riifs, even though Sentenced does have some pretty nice guitar work as well.

Feb 18, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 17
Falconer - Falconer. Melodic Swedish power metal. The best metal vocalist I've heard.

Iced Earth - anything but their latest. Barlow is great. Heavy, melodic, everything but grunting.

I've been meaning to check out an album from The Gathering. Nice female vocals. They're classed as gothic rock, but it's nearly metal.

Feb 18, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 17
The Gathering is NOT gothic rock. Dunno what their older material should be called, but they could best be categorized as progressive metal, which has during the past years been losing the metal, and became something beetween progressive rock and trip hop. Their heavier albums, such as Mandylion and Nighttime Birds, are excellent and have only seducing, beautiful female vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back