Metal / Rocker getting into Enya!!!
Mar 4, 2006 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
I cant gen enough... Simple harmonies and melodic passages, superbly recorded. Love her voice on my RS1.

Does she have a live CD?
What are your fave Enya CDs?

Any other artists that fall into this style of music / songwriting? If I go to my local record store what music category would I find her CDs under?

Thanks!!
Garrett

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 10
Only Time was my favourite song of hers.

Not so much into her though, I prefer other artists of similar New Age style such as

Enigma
Delerium
Angels of Venice

and darker stuff like

Dead Can Dance
Love Spirals Downwards
Collide
Faith & The Muse
Arcana
Dargaard

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 10
Dead Can Dance-- get the "wake" 2CD set.

Clannad-- Enya used to be a member. Here's a good single disc overview: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...15265082&BAB=E There's also a newer 2CD set, but I can't vouch for sound quality.

Cocteau Twins. Check out Heaven or Las Vegas first, then Blue Bell Knoll. Forget the remasters they sound awful, though the original CDs aren't great, only adequate.

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 10
Agree with most of what has been said already. Lots of good choices. Enya and her producer did come up with a pretty solid and mostly unique sound on those first albums. I don't have an extensive collection by any measure, but I do really like Watermark. I actually have it on both German and US vinyl and it does sound very good. Not great, but still very good.

The Hector Zazou disc I've mentioned around here before called Lights In The Dark does have some of that same old world Celtic flavor, albeit with some tasteful instrumentation, usually in the background. Very spiritual and haunting recording. He resurrected some ancient Celtic songs and refreshed them with some modern music production employing the vocals of three very special ladies, along with his usual cast of luminaries including Brendan Perry of Dead Can Dance. Beautiful sound too. Maybe too religious for some, but very beautiful nonetheless. Just checked and there are places where you can listen to it online. Some comments in the links below ...

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=music&n=15603
http://ectoguide.org/artists/zazou.hector#lights

That first self-titled recording by Anuna from the late 90s has some beautiful voices as well, mostly a capella and recorded very simply in a church. Might wanna listen to some samples of that and see if it connects with you. Nothing really as dramatic as that Lisa Gerrard song that I can recall right now, but one of the ladies, Katie McMahon, is on the Hector Zazou disc too. Kind of lite in a Clannad and Enya way, but nice.

But one I'd definitely check out is Seattle's own Heather Duby. Try to listen to some samples from Come Across the River, or read the AMG review. Very nice voice. Here's what amazon said about her first one ...

Amazon.com
Sub Pop Records in Seattle was the originator of grunge rock; in the years since Nirvana's rise, the label has focused on diversifying with topnotch talent in all fields. Producer Steve Fisk has emerged as a secret weapon, collaborating with artists to ensure that their sound is unique yet not overwhelmed by intrusive arrangements. Heather Duby is a Portland native who moved to Seattle to work with acts such as Evil Tambourines and Maktub. Duby established a relationship with Fisk, trading tapes and working out the schematics of what's become this texturally rich, subliminally somber song cycle. British singer Beth Orton has beaten everyone to the punch commercially, lining folk tunes with trip-hop beats, but while Duby works in similar fashion, the outcome is closely hewed to the 4AD label's line of gothic psychedelia. The tunes work together to form a feeling not unlike that of traipsing through an old, drafty Victorian house with the black lights and lava lamps on overdrive. --Rob O'Connor

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I cant gen enough... Simple harmonies and melodic passages, superbly recorded. Love her voice on my RS1.

Does she have a live CD?

Any other artists that fall into this style of music / songwriting? If I go to my local record store what music category would I find her CDs under?

Thanks!!
Garrett

No one has mentioned Loreena McKennitt. I actually prefer her to Enya. Her album THE BOOK OF SECRETS has some very nice stuff, if you're into more Celtic Flavored music.

Also, I vote for Cocteau Twins. I love them to death.

-jar

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 10
kramer don't feel bad, I'm a die hard metalhead and I love Enya. I have the purple set which I like. Its a collection of most of her works from her first couple of albums - also I do like the new one.

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Clannad-- Enya used to be a member. Here's a good single disc overview: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...15265082&BAB=E There's also a newer 2CD set, but I can't vouch for sound quality.

I second Clannad. A great mix of traditional and modern Irish sounds. You may also want to check out Mary McLaughlin and Cherish the Ladies.

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Does she have a live CD?

Enya never gave a concert, and has only sung one or two song live in special occasions.

Quote:

Shepherd Moons and Watermark. The Celts is also good. Don't care much about the rest.

Quote:

Any other artists that fall into this style of music / songwriting?
Garrett

Try out another Irish songstress called Meav. She comes from a more classical background and her music shows. Perhaps harder to find are the albums by the harper-singer Aine Minogue, but they are worth the effort.

For Clannad, I suggest starting with the album Lore, which I think is their most solid effort.

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
Enya never gave a concert, and has only sung one or two song live in special occasions.

I remember seeing one of those, at EuroVision - thats what introduced me to her
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back