Metal Recommendations?
Jul 1, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #31 of 40
Yes, Wolham is right. Blizzard Beasts may not be what I remember it to be. Their new album is great, also, like he said Sons of Northern Darkness is great!

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #32 of 40
Honestly, I have never been able to much get into Immortal. They are a cool band for sure but I just can't dig the vocals. Yet when I'm drunk I think they are great party music. Nothin' like burning a joint and listening to Pure Holocaust. The production on that album is caked in reverb.

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #33 of 40
That is one fast album.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:
I don't really have any requirements. I just posted some bands in the hopes of filtering out "technical death metal" bands that are really crappy metalcore, and in the hopes that someone would recognize a consistent element in all of the bands.

You're not the only one who're sick of the crappy metalcore. :D

Speaking of the latest Immortal album, I found it to be just like most releases this past year. Good sound (it felt like black metal), good tone (it sounded like black metal), good sound quality (it had the sound quality of... Nevermind, it had good sound quality), but I found every single song boring, tiresome and repetitive. Just after listening a few times to the album I was permanently sick, and went back to their old stuff. Sons of Northern Darkness was a great release though.

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #35 of 40
Sons Of Northern Darkness was released as a single cd then another edition with a live show recorded in New York of all places. The video is close to a fan video looking like it was recored from a camera on a tripod at the mixing board. No zooming or panning just Immortal about 100 ft away for the whole recording. This shows them live at that period. I love that album too.

I agree that when I first heard the latest album it did seem boring and repetitive.But when I went back to it I seemed to like it more. Funny because I felt the exact same way about Sons Of Northern Darkness. That album is totally repetitive but then after a while you start to hear the slight changes that are there,and understand where they are coming from. The thing is Immortal's music is not like anything out there. I feel it takes awhile to even "get it". 

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #36 of 40
I am very well aware of that some music takes time to get to. However, the reason I stopped listening to All Shall Fall wasn't because no songs stuck on my head, it was because I listened to it several times over until all the songs bored me, and during that period not a single song managed to stick. I never got that feeling with Sons; first time I heard In My Kingdom Cold, I could only think about that song for days. Or well, hours. Then I probably got another song on my head. And then back. W/E.

Interesting is that I gave the whole Immortal discography a spin, a couple of times over, and I found some favourites from several albums. Yet, even though I listened more to All Shall Fall, I couldn't grow into any songs.

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #37 of 40
How would you rate Damned In Black (2000) on a 1-10 scale 10 being perfect?

Pure Holocaust (1993)?

Jul 6, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #38 of 40

Quote:
How would you rate Damned In Black (2000) on a 1-10 scale 10 being perfect?

Pure Holocaust (1993)?

No, I never said Damned in Black was perfect, nor pure holocaust. However, Damned in Black was a record which had some memorable parts, like "wrath from above" and the title song. I'm not saying a record must have memorable songs to be good, but it certainly helps, especially if the theme of the record is "more of what came before".

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #39 of 40
I'm not questioning any rating you have on DIB, just wanted to know what you thought of it. Also if you thought Pure Holocaust was any good or not? 

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #40 of 40
I think DiB is quite good, but not as good as Sons of Northern Darkness, At The Heart of Winter or Diabolical Fullmon Mysticism. Pure Holocaust is one of those album which I keep telling myself I should stop neglect but never give time to listen to, so I can't really rate it. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back