Metal Recommendations?
Jun 26, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #18 of 40
Two sites I frequently visit to get more metal recommendations are sputnikmusic.com and last.fm
Both sites allow you to search for bands and have lists of bands that are similar, pretty sweet.

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #20 of 40
Hey man! Glad to see you are curious about checking out some more metal. Personally, my metal tastes tend to differ from that of others. However, that is not to say I think my tastes are superior. I personally (and I stress that this is of a personal nature) hold a different philosophy about music than that of a lot of metal heads. I like innovation but I still want it to be intuitive. At times I enjoy it when a band utilizes a dynamic that is not at all original but instead pays homage to it - but does it well. 

Personally, I can't stand Vader, Kreator, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, etc. I think a lot of them suck. But here I will provide you with a list of albums that I personally find to be worth the time. I will also provide an explanation as to what kind of metal it is and why I think it is worth your time! :) I sincerely take pleasure in doing this. :)

Strapping Young Lad - City (get the original version and the remaster) - Devin Townsend's music is awesome. Really, you should check out all of it. Some of it sucks but a lot of his music is outstanding. City is the most intense metal album I've ever listened to. It has often been referred to as "post-industrial" because of the subtle industrial nuances. The "wall of sound" effect he creates is intense

Emperor - Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise - In a sense this is "post-black metal". This is the first time Emperor ever used seven string guitars and used more than two guitar parts. Really intricate and detailed. It took me a long time to get into the unorthodox sound of this album. 

I will continue the post very soon!

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #22 of 40
Emperor - IX Equilibrium - Much like Anthems but with a thrashier aesthetic. Really underrated album. Produced a little better too. 

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - I'm not huge on this one but it's interesting to hear where Emperor came from!

Periphery - Self Title (instrumental) - the vocalist is awful which is why I prefer the instrumental version by a large margin. Definitely at the top of the djent scene along with Animals As Leaders. Less abstract than some djent but a lot more intuitive and the dubstep-esque overtones are done really tastefully. Awesome drummer too. 

Animals As Leaders - Self Title - Awesome album. Some of the most abstract djent I have ever heard. I have some fundamental issues with this album but it is more than worth your time. Intelligent music most definitely

Decapitated - Winds of Creation - Absolutely awesome. Written when Decapitated were in their early, mid and teenage years (all members were of different ages). Probably the most creative and intuitive death metal I've ever listened to. It has a nice, gritty production and is written really tastefully. The drummer smokes. 

Death - Human - This album features Cynic's Sean Reinert. He collaborate with Chuck Schuldiner long before Cynic was even formed. It's not amazing by any means but it's probably the best Death ever written. 

Dawn - Slaughtersun - Awesome black metal. Awesome production. The vocalist is amazing and incredibly passionate. The drummer is incredibly militant and a lot of the riffs are really memorable. Dawn doesn't only manage to produce an intense soundscape but they utilize it very effectively. The music is often not just a wall of sound but it picks you up and carries you with it if ya know what I mean. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #23 of 40
Emperor - IX Equilibrium - Much like Anthems but with a thrashier aesthetic. Really underrated album. Produced a little better too. 

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - I'm not huge on this one but it's interesting to hear where Emperor came from!

Periphery - Self Title (instrumental) - the vocalist is awful which is why I prefer the instrumental version by a large margin. Definitely at the top of the djent scene along with Animals As Leaders. Less abstract than some djent but a lot more intuitive and the dubstep-esque overtones are done really tastefully. Awesome drummer too. 

Animals As Leaders - Self Title - Awesome album. Some of the most abstract djent I have ever heard. I have some fundamental issues with this album but it is more than worth your time. Intelligent music most definitely

Decapitated - Winds of Creation - Absolutely awesome. Written when Decapitated were in their early, mid and teenage years (all members were of different ages). Probably the most creative and intuitive death metal I've ever listened to. It has a nice, gritty production and is written really tastefully. The drummer smokes. 

Death - Human - This album features Cynic's Sean Reinert. He collaborate with Chuck Schuldiner long before Cynic was even formed. It's not amazing by any means but it's probably the best Death ever written. 

Dawn - Slaughtersun - Awesome black metal. Awesome production. The vocalist is amazing and incredibly passionate. The drummer is incredibly militant and a lot of the riffs are really memorable. Dawn doesn't only manage to produce an intense soundscape but they utilize it very effectively. The music is often not just a wall of sound but it picks you up and carries you with it if ya know what I mean. 

Strangely this is the only Death album I don't have if I recall correctly. It was also re-released last week with a lot of bonus material which is supposed to be really good.

Still waiting on the unfinished Control Denied album...

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #24 of 40
I have winds of creation, I love just playing single songs from it, but the album as a whole gets stale for me. I'm waiting to purchase human once my wallet recovers from my latest purchase (damn you head-fi). Everything else is new to me, will check these albums out, thanks.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #25 of 40
Yeah, I agree that Winds of Creation gets a little stale by the end. It's a short listen so generally I can tolerate that. I listened to Asphyx's The Rack the other week. Apparently it's a classic but I personally found it to be contrived and regurgitated. But if you want some seriously in-your-face metal listen to City by Strapping Young Lad. The remaster sounds pretty good, actually. The guitars are a little more present.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #26 of 40
Nice to see someone recommended Adramelech! Good band there!

Anyway, I'm sort of absent minded, and since my computer died recently I don't have access to my full music library, without it I tend to forget a lot of bands I listen to so I'm just gonna knick up the first few that comes to mind.

Old School Death Metal:
God Macabre - The Winterlong
Abramelin - Both albums
Agony - Apocalyptic Dawning
Bolt Thrower - Any album
For Suffocation, I think the latest albums are the most boring, but also most easily listened and most groovy ones. I'm a huge fan of "Effigy The Forgotten" though.
Appalling Spawn - Freedom, Hope And Fury (aka the first spawn). If you like chaotic, unique and crazy old school death metal, then this album is just amazing. I hold it very dear. If you prioritize good production, structure and insane drum work I recommend you pick up Elvenfris by Lykathé, same band except for the drummer. They changed name. Note that drums on Freedom, Hope And Fury are amazing too, but perhaps a bit unconventional for most people (incredible play, though!). Considering you like Nile, though, I think you'll appreciate Elvenfris a lot.

Modern Death Metal:
Cannabis Corpse - Tomb of the Resinated (This is seriously my absolute favourite regular death metal album ever. Just plain, awesome death metal. Get it. Now.)
Vengeful - The Omnipresent Curse (works very well for fans of Gojira).
Asesino - Corridos De Muerte (Short songs with that aggressive punch only latinos can do)
Krisiun - Southern Storm or Assassination (Both albums kick ass. Latinos again)
Vital Remains (I'd go for Dechristianize or Icons of Evil considering what you seem to like.)
Excommunion (If you like album Covenant by Morbid Angel, this is gold)
Debauchery - Blood For The Blood God (Death'n Roll, could attract you as a blood bath listener).

Oh, and if you enjoy the oriental feeling of Nile, I'd recommend Melechesh and Behemoth. Yes, I know, Behemoth is not really similar to the bands you listen to, it's mainstream, but they are still a good band. Their "demigod" album manages to perfectly blend the tense feeling and atmosphere of black metal, along with the mystery and everything, while it still packs a punch like any great tech death album.

If you enjoy my suggestions, I'll gladly give you more once I get my computer back. ^^
You can also check my last.fm profile, but since I'm enjoying melodeath, folk, pagan and black metal as well, I'm not sure you'd appreciate all bands. +1 on the suggestion of you getting your own last.fm profile though, though not my main source of new bands it works.

Last, some emobashing. Mangler, all the bands you mentioned SUCK! (my expressed opinion). Stop suggesting stupid -core metal, you hipster!

Okay, I'm done.

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #27 of 40
Aborym----------Generator                              electronic-blackmetal 
 Autopsy---------Severed Survival                     deathmetal
 Chaosbreed------Brutal                                  deathmetal
  Devil Driver----Beast                                      death/industrial?
 Dodheimsgard----Supervillian Outcast           electronic-blackmetal 
 Grave-----------Back From The Grave                 deathmetal
 Immortal--------Blizzard Beasts                    blackmetal
 Jungle Rot------Kill On Command                 deathmetal
 Mayhem----------Order Ad Chao                    blackmetal
 Naglfar---------Harvest                                   blackend deathmetal
 Phobia----------22 Random Acts Of Violence   hardcore
 Repulsion-------Horrified                                deathmetal
 Rotting Christ--Theogonia                             blackmetal
 Satyricon-------Volcano                                 blackmetal 
 Trap Them-------Seizures In Barren Praise      deathcore 
 Vader-----------Impressions In Blood                deathmetal

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:
Aborym----------Generator
Autopsy---------Severed Survival
Chaosbread------Brutal
Devil Driver----Beast
Dodheimsgard----Supervillian Outcast
Grave-----------Back From The Grave
Immortal--------Blizzard Beasts
Jungle Rot------Kill On Command
Mayhem----------Order Ad Chao
Naglfar---------Harvest
Phobia----------22 Random Acts Of Violence
Repulsion-------Horrified
Rotting Christ--Theogonia
Satyricon-------Volcano
Trap Them-------Seizures In Barren Praise
Vader-----------Impressions In Blood

Sorry for commenting even though I'm not OP, and I don't know OP's opinion, but did you read the whole thread or did you just spam your favourite bands? Not saying they're bad, but judging from what I read, many of them do not fit well. Also, in my opinion the best Immortal album is Diabolic Fullmoon Mysticism, followed by Sons of  Northern Darkness and At The Heart of Winter. >:p

EDIT: Sorry, noticed you actually made posts here previously. I knew I recognized your picture. Still, I find many of them unsuitable. Though it's up for OP to decide.

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #29 of 40

Quote:
Sorry for commenting even though I'm not OP, and I don't know OP's opinion, but did you read the whole thread or did you just spam your favourite bands? Not saying they're bad, but judging from what I read, many of them do not fit well. Also, in my opinion the best Immortal album is Diabolic Fullmoon Mysticism, followed by Sons of  Northern Darkness and At The Heart of Winter. >:p

EDIT: Sorry, noticed you actually made posts here previously. I knew I recognized your picture. Still, I find many of them unsuitable. Though it's up for OP to decide.

You know Wolham............
Metal is a funny thing. You are right in that the OP is looking for death metal. I may be all over the place with my list. I am very aware of Immortals complete output. I own every single CD they have ever made. If the OP wants death metal all he has to do is note the style listed. I feel they are fantastic death metal albums.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #30 of 40
I don't really have any requirements. I just posted some bands in the hopes of filtering out "technical death metal" bands that are really crappy metalcore, and in the hopes that someone would recognize a consistent element in all of the bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back