Metal, (Post)-Rock and Ambient Music: Sennheiser Momentum or Shure SRH 840?
Nov 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NeoSeven

New Head-Fier
Hello Community,

I am searching for a new pair of closed-back headphones to drive on my Smartphone or Ipot Touch 2G and have already been able to narrow the results down to the two headphones mentioned in the title. The question I face now is: Which one should I select?

I wonder if the Shure is really a match for the Momentum, as far as sound quality is concerned, as a price difference of 130 Euros is quite considerable, to say the least. I definitely do not want 130 € extra just for the better-looking Design and more expensive materials, if the sound quality turns out to be worse.

And from what I have come to understand, the Shures do outweigh the Momentums in terms of soundstage, instrument-seperation, frequency range, presentation of deep-bass, when needed, and more clarity in the high frequencies, without creating beyer-peaks.
Is this correct? What do the experts say?

Favoured Bands: Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, God is an Astronaut, Cold Insight

PS: I have to apologise for my bad English writing style here, as I am a little out of practice, when it comes to forming proper sentences. I hope it is understandable, though. :wink:

all the best, neo

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi!

From this two options, I would go with the Shure's. But you can read about Yamaha Pro headphones (closed back). I find my Yamaha's Hph-200 (open & on ear) really good for metal and I've read some comments of Yamaha Pro owners saying that Pros are also great for metal.

Best Luck!

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 8
And why would you go for the Shure? Do they sound better than the Momentums? :wink:

Is there anyone, who owns the Shure SRH840, as well as the Sennheiser Momentum and who is able to compare the two in regard to their sonix performance?

all the best, neo

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 8
Hello Neo,

I myself will vote for the Sennheiser Momentum,

Firstly, the Shure SRH-840 indeed may have wider soundstage, instrumental separation and more mid-bass. However, that is just slightly. Additionally, the Momentum offer a much better build quality [the Shure have really negative build quality feedback]. The Momentum also come with a hard case instead of pouch.

Let's get back to the sound :D The Momentum is a few more step higher than the SRH-840, the Momentum offer better resolution, timbre, deeper bass and a more "reference sound". Pairing it with an amp will tighten the bass. Details are to my memory, better on the Momentum!

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 8
  I wonder if the Shure is really a match for the Momentum, as far as sound quality is concerned, as a price difference of 130 Euros is quite considerable, to say the least. I definitely do not want 130 € extra just for the better-looking Design and more expensive materials, if the sound quality turns out to be worse.

The best you can do is to try them by yourself.

I would choose Shure's because Momentums have rolled off highs and in my opinion its sound signature doesn't match metal well.

Graphs don't tell much, but at least you can get an idea about sound signatures.

To me Shure's Srh-840 are well built (and come with extra pads), probably not as solid as Momentums of course, but if you take just a little care of them you can enjoy this headphones for years, and you can also enjoy your remaining 130 €
wink_face.gif

You can get a Dac/Amp for your computer, or a pair of open headphones for quiet environments! Or a new jacket, you know!

Best Luck!

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 8
Anyway, you can't go wrong with any of this headphones. Both are nice and really enjoyable objects in my opinion!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 8
Hmmm...

The Momentum offer a better resolution. To me, that's quite odd, because from what I've heard, a good presentation of the high frequency range results in overall enhanced clarity. As the Momentums highs are indeed rolled off, they are being criticised for sounding somewhat covered, dull and imprecise.

Considering the previously posted frequency response graphs, I would come to the same conclusion. However, I did not have a chance to make up my mind about the Momentums sonic performance and am hence unable to tell, if this assertion is justified. [OMG, this does not sound like proper English xD]. According to the graphs, The Shure should sound a lot clearer, though...

Have a nice day,
Neo

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 8
  Hmmm...

The Momentum offer a better resolution. To me, that's quite odd, because from what I've heard, a good presentation of the high frequency range results in overall enhanced clarity. As the Momentums highs are indeed rolled off, they are being criticised for sounding somewhat covered, dull and imprecise.

Considering the previously posted frequency response graphs, I would come to the same conclusion. However, I did not have a chance to make up my mind about the Momentums sonic performance and am hence unable to tell, if this assertion is justified. [OMG, this does not sound like proper English xD]. According to the graphs, The Shure should sound a lot clearer, though...

Have a nice day,
Neo

Never rely on graphs! There are some if not, plenty of headphones/amp/DAC that don't measure well but sound great or vice versa 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back