Metal, Gaming, Soundstage, Bass, and the Headphones to deliver them ~$150 - I need help...
Mar 17, 2010 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

The_Blood_Raven

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I have been researching headphones for a while now on the forums. I've been convinced that I needed a budget increase from $100 to $150 where there seems to be many more options.

So as per the title, I'm looking for Headphones for computer listening with music, metal, dubstep, electronica, and rock, and gaming, online FPS and many other genres, in mind.

First and formost, I like bass. I hate muddy, bloated, boomy bass. I like powerful, punchy, and DEEP bass. I know, easier said than down. For this reason I love my JVC HP-FX500s.

Since I want to game, I know that soundstage and imaging are important.

So I'm here trying to find a good compromise. Also note that I still like good mids and highs, I'm not only worried about the lows.

So what do you guys recommend?

I'm looking into the UltraSone HFI-780s right now. I hear that they have the bass I'm looking for, but I keep hearing mixed reports on the soundstage. I'm not looking for AD700 soundstage or anything too out there but I would like something decent.

I have also heard good things about the Beyerdynamic DT770s but they seem to require some serious amplification. While I plan to get something decent, all I have is a custom made $100 headphone amp that is of questionable quality as I have nothing that really benefits from amplification. I may be able to get a nicer one later, but I'm not sure.

To be perfectly honest, I'm more than a bit lost at this point. I've spent tens of hours researching only to find most of my research useless with the budget increase.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 17
Your problem is that your expectations are likely too high for your wallet. One of the biggest problems is that some of the best cans for metal have a tiny soundstage. Basically, I would just shoot on it, and then just make yourself live with it for a year. If you have a creative soundcard, then the soudstage thing shouldn't be much of an issue, with Creative's CMSS-3D. It works well with my Sony V6, and that's about as collapsed as it comes in terms of soundstage.

As far as alternatives, I would look into the M-audio Q40 and the Shure 840. Both were FOTM at different points, and are still pretty good.

--EDIT--
There's a pair of HFI-780's on the FS forum for $160, but with Velour pads. That's an excellent deal.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 17
Ha, still having trouble deciding?

I guess the ATH-M50 doesn't suit your needs? You can surely bring the Denon D1001 into the mix now with that budget increase. I sold mine a while back but I saw a set at the studios. I remember how well they performed for music but I'll have to "acquire" it to test it out for gaming.....

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your problem is that your expectations are likely too high for your wallet. One of the biggest problems is that some of the best cans for metal have a tiny soundstage. Basically, I would just shoot on it, and then just make yourself live with it for a year. If you have a creative soundcard, then the soudstage thing shouldn't be much of an issue, with Creative's CMSS-3D. It works well with my Sony V6, and that's about as collapsed as it comes in terms of soundstage.

As far as alternatives, I would look into the M-audio Q40 and the Shure 840. Both were FOTM at different points, and are still pretty good.

--EDIT--
There's a pair of HFI-780's on the FS forum for $160, but with Velour pads. That's an excellent deal.

Yeah I know that I'm looking at either a compromise on sound quality, or a compromise on how these headphones handle games.

Thing is, my FX500s are touted as having a great soundstage and I think they're pretty good. Now I'm wondering how a great soundstage in an IEM compares to that of a headphone. I would think even a small soundstage is pretty big for an IEM.

Couldn't find that deal, but I've been looking at this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRASONE-HFI-78...item35a7bc7810

Almost looks too good to be true, but the seller is far to reputable.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha, still having trouble deciding?

I guess the ATH-M50 doesn't suit your needs? You can surely bring the Denon D1001 into the mix now with that budget increase. I sold mine a while back but I saw a set at the studios. I remember how well they performed for music but I'll have to "acquire" it to test it out for gaming.....

Those were in the running before, the Denon D1000 is the same as the D1001 except it doesn't come with the pouch and can be had for about $100.

But yeah, this is getting ridiculous so this is my last thread, I'll find something to be happy with.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 17
I can still get a decent idea from my crappy plantronics headset so don't fret so much on sound stage for gaming. Anything is better than basic headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 17
I bet you wont get anything that is great for gaming, has amazing bass and stadium soundstage under $840
darthsmile.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 17
Would say the DT770 is probably your best bet. You can get one in your price range one way or another, and it has checks for most of your needs.

Great for metal/rock/electronica/dubstep etc.
Massive bass
your $100 amp should do decent (but if you get a 250 or 600 ohm version watch out)
relatively good soundstage for a closed can
good highs (but can be harsh, careful)
mids are okay. Not good or great but at least not bad

At your price point I don't think you can do any better.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 17
From what I've researched, I would say the DT770s would be your best bet... This is not coming from personal experience, though.

Personally, even though you said you don't want to look at it.. The AD700s are great for everything you want except bass impact. I have yet to try out my Ultrasones for gaming, but for music they work quite well with a nice (almost too much) rumbling bass. Grados work great for everything but gaming and "soundstage." So, you might benefit from saving some more money and getting something a little nicer...

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 17
The ultrasones are good for gaming if yo uwant a closed can. I would consider the HFI 780.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 17
I would also recommend DT770. Its not most optimal headphone for metal though, as it has slightly recesser midrange and overdriven guitars sound better on headphones with glorious and sharp midrange. Bass, while plentiful and deep reaching, is bit sloppy so fast doublebass beats are not tightest and snappiest out there, but its not bad. They are magnificent gaming headphones though. And for your budget, I cannot think of anything better ATM. 80ohm version isnt that hard to drive. As long as you have good soundcard to connect them in they should sound just fine.

Optimal set would be having two headphones, one for music and one for gaming. For gaming I would take some of the AudioTechnica Ax00 serie (not ADx00 serie). Closed and very good soundstage, popular gaming headphones couple of years back. For music Grado headphones should fit the bill just nicely. They have sharp, punchy bass and excellent midrange. If bass quantity is not enough, bump up EQ a bit around 50Hz region.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 17
Well after some more, much more, research I've determined that the M Audio Studiophile Q40s are looking damn good. Similar bass as the 780s and the DT770s, possibly a little more refined, with good non-recessed mids. The only problem I have with them is that the highs are a bit rolled off from what I have read, though I honestly have no idea how that will effect me as I have no real problem that I know of with "harshness" as I've become accustomed to it.

Any thoughts on the Q40s?

Any comparisons?

I will admit that huge subwoofer bass is nice and all, but its not really necessary either. I like bass, this I admit, but I've enjoyed the Etymotic ER4-Ps which have a slight bass hump, but not huge. Etymotic ER6 bass is what I hate.

Thanks guys, this has been one hell of an experience thus far. You all should all be proud as this forum and your contributions really are refreshing coming from a computer enthusiast who has dealt with many annoying people on many different forums, but I've never met anyone less than helpful here.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you get your cans from a place that has a generous return policy. We can say only so much when your ears are the ones with the final verdict, so get to ordering your M-Audios.

Very true, thanks for all the help, you especially have followed all of my threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back