Metal Albums with the Best Sound Quality and Production
Sep 14, 2007 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

lastdodobird

Head-Fier
I'm kind of a sound junkie, so bad sound quality and production can usually turn me off. So I was just looking for albums that are put together with a nice sound quality... good mastering... good mixing... good sound production altogether. Of course, it helps if the music is good too, but even if it isn't in your opinion, you could recommend it too and I'll see if it clicks with me.

Keep the prog metal recommendations to a minimum please ^_^ Hehe.

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 34
Guaranteed someone recommends Opeth despite your request to keep the prog recommendations to a minimum.

Anyway, I'd say anything by Blood Red Throne, maybe some of Cradle of Filth's later work. Bloodbath's Resurrection Through Carnage might fit the bill.

Let me know if any of these fit your metal pallet.

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guaranteed someone recommends Opeth despite your request to keep the prog recommendations to a minimum.

Anyway, I'd say anything by Blood Red Throne, maybe some of Cradle of Filth's later work. Bloodbath's Resurrection Through Carnage might fit the bill.

Let me know if any of these fit your metal pallet.

Nah, Opeth are cool. They're Progressive Death anyway and not purely Prog Metal. I just wanted to avoid suggestions such as Dream Theater...Pain of Salvation... Ayreon... and the like. But Opeth's cool. I'm listening to Deliverace as I type actually, and I've got their entire discography loaded up right now into my player.

Thanks for the recommendations
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm a little iffy about CoF. You say try out their later work if I want good sound quality, but reviews have it that their early work is musically leagues better than what they have done recently. So I'll think about that.

Blood Red Throne and Bloodbath look interesing though. Death Metal, right? Spot on. I'm in my Melodic Death Metal phase right now, so "Altered Genesis" and "Resurrection Through Carnage" sound like welcome recommendations.

If you have any pristinely produced melodeth to recommend, those will be welcome.

Oh, and thrash metal are welcome recommendations too.

melodeth though = \m/

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 34
Mastodon - Leviathan. It has an excellent "wall of sound" and sounds really good, very raw, clear and heavy, but a bit dark and cold at the same time, really like the deep ocean
smily_headphones1.gif
. It's one album which have survived my gear upgrade.

Their other albums are not as good sounding though.

EDIT: In goldwave, it does not look good, but this due to the music style, not the mastering. The music do not have a lot of dynamics and have this wall of sound.

EDIT 2: I even have two songs shown in goldwave:

The files used are in flac ripped with eac from retail.

EDIT3: Adding some more songs:

Crusher destroyer from Remission. Nearly as good as leviathan in sq.

Trainwreck from Remission:

And last, Colony of Birchmen from Blood Mountain. The sq of the record is their worst. Can barely listen too it. A killersong like Colony of B. looses all form of heavyness due to the compression and distortion.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 34
lastdodobird, what are some of your favorite albums in terms of musical style, mixing, and mastering? We can give you more recommendations based on your current production preferences.

Metal is an extremely subjective genre because huge amounts of compression and distortion are essential; the nature of the genre means that the recording quality must be compromised. In other words, it's like asking for the clearest, most pristine recording of nasty, buzzy, distorted, compressed, saturated tube amplifiers.
evil_smiley.gif

Meshuggah's Catch 33 sounds well-mastered to me, if you like their style. It was even released on HDCD.
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lastdodobird, what are some of your favorite albums in terms of musical style, mixing, and mastering? We can give you more recommendations based on your current production preferences.

Most of the Opeth albums sound really great for me.

Aside from that, I was listening to the DCC 24K Remasters of Metallica's MOP and RTL, and they also both sounded great.

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 34
Yup, remasters of Metallicas old albums are excellent, much closer to vinyls.

Type O Negatives albums are brilliantly mastered if you like their humor and music.

Neither of those have anything to do with progmetal though...

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blood Red Throne and Bloodbath look interesing though. Death Metal, right? Spot on. I'm in my Melodic Death Metal phase right now, so "Altered Genesis" and "Resurrection Through Carnage" sound like welcome recommendations.

Although being from Sweden Bloodbath is more in the line of old school Death Metal.

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastdodobird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, Opeth are cool. They're Progressive Death anyway and not purely Prog Metal. I just wanted to avoid suggestions such as Dream Theater...Pain of Salvation... Ayreon... and the like. But Opeth's cool. I'm listening to Deliverace as I type actually, and I've got their entire discography loaded up right now into my player.

Thanks for the recommendations
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm a little iffy about CoF. You say try out their later work if I want good sound quality, but reviews have it that their early work is musically leagues better than what they have done recently. So I'll think about that.

If you have any pristinely produced melodeth to recommend, those will be welcome.

Oh, and thrash metal are welcome recommendations too.

melodeth though = \m/

Wow, took me a while to get back to this thread. Anyway, when I recommended CoF's later work, in terms of sound quality they're awesome. I think the music is just as good if not better than the early stuff, but reviewers have often ripped on Cradle because they moved away from their black metal roots and are more gothic metal now. If you're into Melodeath right now, I'd check out Arch Enemy's latest, Rise of the Tyrant, Dark Tranquility's Fiction or Character.

If you want to try something a little more brutal in the death metal genre that still has pretty good sound quality, try Skinless - Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead. I found that even with the heavy distortion they use on the guitars and the throat ripping vocals, the recording is excellent.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 34
It may not be the type of music you're looking for, but I really like the sound quality of All Shall Perish's album The Price of Existence. I have bad ears though, but it sounds pretty good to me.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #15 of 34
'pig destroyer- phantom limb' a little hot, but sounds awesome, some parts recorded binaurally.
gojira- 'from mars to sirius' or 'the link' (remastered) badass french tech metal sounds good to me.
ill second the meshuggah rec, althoug the 'nothing' remaster sounds the best to me.
i know you dont really want prog reccomendations, but devin townsends solo stuff is really really good at least from a sound quality perspective, 'ziltoid the omniscient' is no exeption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back