metadsf - a command line tagging tool for DSF (DSD) files
Apr 1, 2014 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pekingduck

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

Just thought some of you might be interested in this: I have written a simple command line tool for tagging DSF files.

With the tool you can edit most ID3v2 tags. Picture import/export is also supported.

This is NOT an application with a nice graphical user interface! It's entirely text based which means you have to be pretty comfortable with UNIX shell interface to use it effectively.

Precompiled binary for Mac OS X is available here. It should run on Linux and Windows as well but you'll need to compile from source by yourself.

For documentation (and source code) please check out https://github.com/pekingduck/metadsf

Although I have tested the tool on my entire DSD collection (around 100G) without any problems, it'd be wise for you to back up first!

Suggestions, bug reports or comments are welcome.

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 7
I have interest for Windows binaries, but I didn't succeed to build them. I tried it in mingw environment. metadsf seems to be OK, but it needs taglib. I found different distributions of taglib - one has to be made via cmake and the other Windows specific seems to be compatible with mingw, but always is something missing. I would appreciate if someone would be able to build metadsf for Windows.

Oct 4, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 7
Regarding building taglib on Windows, have you read this?

Wish I could provide more help, but I don't own a Windows machine.

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 7
Hi pekingduck, I was able to build taglib with Visual Studio 10, as you suggested.
But now how to build metadsf with Visual Studio? It requires to run ./configure, make and make install.

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 7
  Hi pekingduck, I was able to build taglib with Visual Studio 10, as you suggested.
But now how to build metadsf with Visual Studio? It requires to run ./configure, make and make install.

Hi, I know nothing about building stuff from source at all (on Windows, that is), but can't you compile metadsf using MinGW and link that against the taglib compiled by Visual Studio?

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi pekingduck, I didn't find on the web how to use mingw make system with Microsoft Visual C++ compiler.
I read on the following link that it is not suitable to mix compilers for taglib and application (metadfs in this case):

https://oxygene.sk/2011/04/windows-binaries-for-taglib/

TagLib is a C++ library and as such, it's very dependant on the compiler. GCC (MinGW) and MSVC generate completely different symbol names, so you can't even think about using libraries built the other one. But even if you use different versions of MSVC, you will most likely get into troubles. Different versions of the standard C++ library, different compiler switches and many other things can cause the library to be incompatible with your application.
So, the best solution is to compile TagLib yourself, with the same compiler that you use to build your application.

If metadfs would be buildable with cmake system, then probably I would be able to build it in a similar way as zlib and taglib.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back