META42 vs. Little
May 14, 2003 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

chicken

100+ Head-Fier
I wonder what everyone here thinks would be better. What would be better for a home setup: a META-42 or one of Headroom's Little models (Little, More Power, Premium module, etc.)? I know the META would be way cheaper, but would it actually sound better too? With the way the META is raved about here on the forums, I thought it might be better. Both/either would be running with RCA cables out of a ~$500 CDP. This is kind of a question for the future because I don't even have the nice CDP yet. lol. Anyway, thanks for any and all advice, and happy headphone listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 34
the meta42 amp is a diy amp or you can have someone build you one - its price can range cheap when using cheap parts and batteries - but its price can also go high up there when you use premium parts and wallwart .

its sound quality is dependent on the parts u use .

May 14, 2003 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 34
When comparing the two I would add the cost of a clean power supply to the META-42, if you are thinking of the More Power option for the Little. As previously mentioned the META-42's price and sound can vary based on configuration so be careful when you read comments that you are making a valid comparison. I have not auditioned the META-42 for any period of time; in fact I only heard one last year and I could not tell you how it was configured. I did listen to the Little from the Headroom loaner program for a month and was very impressed with the sound. I ended up buying the cosmic as I needed a portable amp.

May 14, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 34
Thanks a lot for the advice. One follow-up question: what kind of a price range is the META? I've seen posts stating their cost is $40 USD and then I've seen posts saying that the cost is over $200 USD. Is this the component price difference raising its ugly head? Thanks again and
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by chicken
Thanks a lot for the advice. One follow-up question: what kind of a price range is the META? I've seen posts stating their cost is $40 USD and then I've seen posts saying that the cost is over $200 USD. Is this the component price difference raising its ugly head? Thanks again and
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think you can make a meta for under $100. Maybe you're thinking of a CMoy which can be made for as little as $25.

As for a Meta? Probably anywhere from $100 for a very basic unit, up to over $300 for a stacked unit with crossfeed, linear regulated power, and a nice case. You can probably get a nice one for around $200. Or build one yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 34
i got a meta on the high end of the price scale mentioned and it is worth every penny. especially with grados, wow! what great sound. i have not compared it to the little, though. i highly recommend jmt if you are looking for an amp builder. he does high quality work and is a nice guy to boot.

May 14, 2003 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 34
I've actually compared both: the newest headroom little and my meta42, configured with 8620 opamps. The meta does beat the little quite well. I can not think of a single thing that the little does better than the meta. Let us be honest though: the meta costs $170 in parts while the little costs $255 INCLUDING labor.

May 14, 2003 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 34
I think Tangent mentioned somewhere that actual parts cost of a META42 (probably the most basic version) was about $67. If you add a lot of premium parts to it, it still wouldn't cost more than maybe $120-130 if you build it yourself.

Ah here it is, right in his Mall-Fi ad:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=meta42

Quote:

A complete META42 can be assembled for under $60.

May 15, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 34
Well it all depends.. If you decide to use a really nice pot, designer caps, a really nice case, lots of buffers, etc, etc etc... It could end up costing a lot more.

Mine cost about 100 bucks, and it's designed for a portable so I didn't go crazy on buffers, nor did I splurge on expensive Elna caps. Got a pretty cheap Radioshack enclosure, of which the screws SUCK so ended up shutting the thing with a goddam elastic band... (hey, it works... More convenient for swapping batteries, too). I spent the money for a nice pot, though (Alps Blue) and a shiny blue LED. :)

May 16, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 34
MY META will be $xxx.. it is almost as all out as you can go.

[Moderator Message]

There is a shroud of secrecy, with regards to how much METAs are sold on for... just honouring that

Thanks

Duncan

May 16, 2003 at 11:30 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

MY META will be $xxx

Whoa!...that's pretty steep! is that just for the parts? Mind sharing what configuration that is? Sounds like a really maxed out one
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 34
Might as well jump in here too as I just got my "maxed-out" (or should I now use "SE?") meta from ablaze who had it built by dreamslacker. It was $260 and is as follows:

meta42 v2.1 board
Vishay-Dale resistors
OPA637P (B-grade) dual-channel opamp (connected via DIP-8_op-amp_adapter)
4xstacked EL2002CNs per channel (ie 8 total)
EL2001CN power supply buffer
Alps Blue potentiometer
one pair of Cardas rhodium RCA jacks
Biased into CLass A w/ Cascoded Jfets
4 x 470uF Elan Cerafines
Neutrik 1/4" locking jack
British made aluminium enclosure
soldered with WBT silver solder

Just ordered a 24v wall wart to power it from Mouser for $33 shipped. So far, sounds great even with my noisy unregulated Radio Shack 12v power. Can't wait for the cleaner supply.

May 17, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 34
I might as well jump in this one too...hehe
AD8620 opamp
X-Feed
(2) EL2009s (w/ heatsinks)
Gilmore PSU
AC-ground (no virtual ground)
Alps Blue 100K pot
Neutrik locking 1/4" jack
Cardas GRFA RCA jacks
Kimber TCSS wire (input from RCAs)
Reference Audio Mods silver wire (elsewhere)
Blue LED

Sound is amazing and I will post my review soon...

May 17, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by venzuel00
AD8620 opamp
X-Feed
Gilmore PSU
Alps Blue 100K pot
Cardas GRFA RCA jacks
Blue LED

Ooo....can't wait!!

You may have the most maxed-out Meta I know of.
cool.gif

May 17, 2003 at 10:53 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by venzuel00
AD8620 opamp
X-Feed
Gilmore PSU
Alps Blue 100K pot
Cardas GRFA RCA jacks
Blue LED

Wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back