Meta42 through Airport security?
Nov 30, 2002 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

revan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into getting an amp to drive my ety 4s sourced through an ipod. Has anyone ever tried to bring a Meta42 (altoids or other) through airport security? It seems to me that the Altoids/Penguin version wouldn't stand a chance.

Thanks,

Revan

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 11
Umm, not sure what you mean by "bring them through airport security." Nor when you say that the altoid/tin wouldn't stand a chance. Do you mean bring them through the metal detector?? Well, obviously not. All you gotta do is put them in your bag and put that through the xray machine. Or just put it with your keys and watch. I just put it in my backpack.

I'm sure people bring all sorts of electronics with them on their flights, why would a portable headphone amp be any different?

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 11
I have carried amps and PCDP's through security on numerous occasions without problem. Once I was asked to turn it on, similar to the request that is sometimes made of PC's.

Nov 30, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 11
i'm afraid of bringing my meta42 to the airport, so i just use my porta corda instead. it's about as commercially-safe looking as any portable amp i have ever seen, and i never really have any trouble. one time a woman asked me what it was, but that was the first time i had flown after september 11th.

Nov 30, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 11
Just slap a Sony label on it and they won't even notice it
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 11
That's actually a very good idea eric! I'll probably do that on mine with whatever major manufacturer label I can get my hands on.

Incidently, I didn't have any trouble bringing my old Airhead before but that was only once.

Nov 30, 2002 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 11
I've used my JMT penguin tin quite a few without any hassle from airport security (had it in my shoulder bag). Although they did confiscate my zippo. Then told me to get a bic. Apparently zippos are dangerous and bics aren't.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2002 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 11
FYI

I just went for Thanksgiving break from Champaign, IL to Cleveland, OH with no problems with my Ipod, Meta42, Sony D-25S and ER-4P's so should be smooth sailing.

Good Luck,
Chefbeldar

Dec 1, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 11
are you flying domestic or international? i recommended not bringing it if you're flying internationally. i've had a couple lighters confiscated at LAX, and also they're always suspicous of my minidisc player for some unknown reason.

Dec 1, 2002 at 8:23 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by revan
Thanks for the quick reply,

I'm concerned about a security guard confiscating it, since it would probably look suspicious to these guys.

Revan

Don't sweat it!! My wife and I travel back and forth to Ecuador and have never even had them look twice at all the electronics stuff at ANY airport yet. The only thing they didn't allow was the 45lb lead-acid battery I tried to bring in my carry-on to save weight that I needed for other stuff in my luggage!!!

Buy it and travel away, just have a source handy to hook-up some headphones in case you get a non-audio person who doesn't believe you. Hook-up the PCDP to the amp and cans and let him listen to it to prove it is what you say it is!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back