meta42 - how to hookup my powersupply?
Oct 21, 2002 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jalepeno

New Head-Fier
ok so i built a meta42 (my second one actually...first one sort of crashed and burned..long story...) anyways so i started all over again totally fresh but i'm having problems just like before right off the bat. now i have an elpac +12v/-12v powersupply with a large round din connector (it has 5 pins 1 - +12v, 2 - -12v, and the rest are all ground). when i hook up my + lead to the positive pad on the board, the neg lead to the neg pad on the board, and the ground to the pg pad on the board i get power through the board even if my switch is turned off. turning the switch on i get a slightly higher voltage (i'm basing this on the fact that the led lights up whether or not the switch is set to on...only its brighter when i do switch it "on") so my question is what am i doing wrong? i'm assuming that maybe since i'm using a weird powersupply maybe there is more to it? any help would be appreciated

Oct 21, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 4
The switch on the META board just breaks one of the voltage lines, the V+. This works fine for a PS that gets split on the board using the TLE2426. However, for your +12/-12 supply you'll need a dual switch (DPST or DPDT will work). Use this switch between the power supply and the META board (i.e. PS wires to switch, then switch to META board). You're also omitting the rail splitter and EL2001 ground driver I assume. As far as I know, the ground wire from your PS should go as close to OG as possible, I think PG is close but there may be one or two ground pads slightly closer.

Oct 21, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks! i didnt realize that the ground buffer wasnt needed. i pulled it out and everything works....yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry i've been working on this thing for a Loooong time and finally its working. now i just have to make it look pretty =)

Oct 22, 2002 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 4
I don't think it much matters where you hook the ground wire from the power supply, except that PG is often needed for the pot. Personally, I would hook it up to the 2001G output pin (7), just because that's closest to the way the amp works when you use a single-voltage power supply.

Scott's right about the rest of it -- using the on-board switching setup isn't helpful if you use a dual-voltage power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back