META42 Hiss when replacing op-amps
Dec 3, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #31 of 38
Uh, remember the hiss I was getting w/ the OPA627BP? Turns out the OPA627BP I had replaced with the fake OPA637BP *were also fake*.

There should be some kind of warning to newbie buyers about all the fake BB chips for sale here at head-fi and other places
frown.gif
This really makes me mad.

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

There should be some kind of warning to newbie buyers about all the fake BB chips for sale here at head-fi and other places

There sort of is. It's the saying "If something seems to good to be true..."

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There sort of is. It's the saying "If something seems to good to be true..."

Well, neither of my purchases were remarkably cheap but simply reasonable priced, a bit cheaper than new... not too uncommon for 2nd hand.

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #34 of 38
Here is a typical OPA627BP Sale on Ebay
Here is the volume pricing for OPA627BP from a legitimate seller.
Notice that the price break at 1000 pieces is $21.92/chip.
Now this guy on Ebay is selling them for $13.50/chip shipped.
Now if you look again at the real pricing you see that it goes asymptotic as get into high numbers (500, 1000). So how many units does this guy have to buy to get them for $12.50 (assume $1 shipping)? 1 000 000? 1 000 000 000?
Clearly something is very wrong.
Now consider other sales where you have 10 for $89 and crazy stuff like that.
These are all fakes. And they're from China no less - a dead giveaway.
Also, fyi, just cause you can't tell they're fakes by that resistance measurement means nothing really. Big manufactures buying parts from private distributors end up with fake stuff too when they're going for the too good to be true deals. ...and those guys have sophisticated means of testing product.

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #35 of 38
Uh, thanks for that rds, I think!

I bought my fakes from here on head-fi as 2nd hand, not from Hong Kong via Ebay, and not at prices that cheap but at prices _close_ to normal, i.e. close to prices you would pay for singles at Farnell, Digi-Key, Mouser etc...

Obviously, common sense dictates that the example you showed me at Ebay is a sale for fakes.

My point is that it's not so obvious when head-fi users sell them at reasonable looking prices, more than likely unwittingly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the fake BB chips for sale here at head-fi and other places

Yes, perhaps I shouldn't have put that emboldened bit. Makes sense though, if one was to issue a warning for fake chips for sale here at head-fi, to also warn they are going to be found vastly more plentifully at Ebay, which is likely where the head-fi chips came from in the first place...

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

I bought my fakes from here on head-fi as 2nd hand, not from Hong Kong via Ebay, and not at prices that cheap but at prices _close_ to normal

That sucks. You'd hope people here would be honest about where they got them from. But it's a real problem with so many fakes around. Personally I will only buy ICs from distributors who deal directly with the producer for this reason.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sucks. You'd hope people here would be honest about where they got them from. But it's a real problem with so many fakes around. Personally I will only buy ICs from distributors who deal directly with the producer for this reason.

This is a bit OT now but, did you ever wire up that beast of a PPAv2 you were making? What op-amps did you end up with?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

This is a bit OT now but, did you ever wire up that beast of a PPAv2 you were making? What op-amps did you end up with?

Yeah, I did finish that. I went with opa627.
But in my own amp I'm now using opa827s. They are, in my opinion, as good or better than the opa627.
They're about $10 each at Mouser if you're looking for a replacement for your fake 627s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back