META42 first PCB prototype is working
May 3, 2002 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

tangent

Top Mall-Fi poster. The T in META42.
Formerly with Tangentsoft Parts Store
I just finished populating the META42 v0.9 PCB. I've tested it and my initial impression is favorable. I don't have nearly enough time on it to give detailed reviews yet.

pcb-v0.9--01-unpopulated.jpg

Bare board

pcb-v0.9--02-populated.jpg

Populated board

Now keep in mind, this is a PROTOTYPE. Yes it's ugly. It was hand-cut from a rectangular board, and in doing so I nicked and then had to patch the ground bus in a few places. Also, I'm using the surface-mount version of the EL2001 buffers instead of the through-hole ones I will be offering because the surface-mount versions are easier to get. The final boards with through-hole buffers installed will look a lot better.

I have found a few small problems with the board (parts placement issues, not electrical ones). Hopefully the required board changes will be minor enough that I don't feel the need for making a second prototype before running the final boards. I won't be making that decision until Sunday or Monday. We'll see how extensive the changes have to be.

May 3, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 56
Tangent, and eric343, and Morsel,

Nice!! I am really looking forward to working with your board. It looks great!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2002 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 56
excellent project! I can't wait for these!
Great job, you are doing the audiophile community a great service.

May 3, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 56
They will be for sale eventually, but because I don't want Jude to smack me, I won't be announcing it here. I will keep people updated on the technical issues here, and later arrange for an announcement in a more suitable place.

May 4, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 56
I don't think there should be a problem if you post here about selling PCBs for a DIY project... Right? Even if you do plan to make some money off boards. I'd like to know what Jude thinks, as I might want to sell some myself at some point, and besides there are definite precedents (selling CMOY PCB's and even whole amps) which didn't upset anybody... At least I don't remember seeing any dissent. If you don't post at least link to DIY related sale here, it's unlikely many DIY'ers would ever see it.

May 4, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 56
I would think that as long as you didn't activly go around saying "buy my boards!" things would be fine. I mean, JMT runs his own little amp-building "buisness" around here, and the Hanson PCB was sold on Headwize, so i would think you are in the clear.

Keep us updated!

May 4, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 56
Tangent, when do you expect to have the -CN version of the buffers availible for purchase?

Or, alternately, how difficult was it to use the -CM version?

re: The question about sales of the boards, I know that JMT probably plans to offer amps for sale, and I'm currently working on a rather upgraded META42 for Audio&Me.

May 4, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 56
The -CNs are supposed to be here in 2 weeks, but no guarantees on that. I won't know for sure until they actually ship, and there's a 1 week lead time from the place I bought them.

As for using the -CMs, it's definitely hackish. Its pins are on 50 mil centers, so every other pin corresponds to a DIP pin (100 mil centers). Elantec used that to give the SMT version the same physical layout, but you have to bend the pins inward a bit to get it to fit on a DIP footprint PCB space. If I'd made the board for the SMT version, it would be easier to use the -CN (DIP) version on the SMT pads because then you bend those pins _outward_, which is easier to solder.

Bottom line: use CMs only if you have to. I had to.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's easier to use the SMT versions on protoboard, by the way, because then you can "make" SMT pads with a wire loop that goes in two adjacent holes.

May 5, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 56
Lol, I'm *pretty* sure that last post was in English but damned if I understood a word of it.

My question is, how is the board sounding??

May 5, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

I'm *pretty* sure that last post was in English but damned if I understood a word of it.

It was only of concern to people considering using the surface-mount version of the EL2001. The only reason to do that with this board is because you can't get thru-hole versions, but I've done what's necessary to make sure you _can_ get thru-hole parts.

Quote:

how is the board sounding??

I haven't listened long enough to say anything more accurate than, "It sounds good." Until I get more listening time with it, I won't be able to give an intelligent response to this question.

May 6, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 56
Update: there will be a delay on the boards. I mentioned that some components need to be moved around a smidge, and I've decided to make a second set of prototypes to make very sure the changes won't impact the sound negatively.

New final-boards date: 3 weeks from now. (Very end of May.)

May 6, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #14 of 56
Most likely the buffers will go for the onesy-twosy list price: $3.50 apiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back