Quote:

No big deal, but...

AD8610s are single opamps.
AD8620s are dual opamps.

JMT was most likely in a rush.

1. Dual AD843KNs

2. Dual AD8610s

3. Single AD8620

Dual 8610s means that you need two of them, I know that they are singles. Single 8620 means that you only need one.

Aug 6, 2002 at 2:39 PM Post #18 of 39
How about BB OPA637, does it work for META42?

Aug 6, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #19 of 39
yeah, the opa637 is suppossed to work well too.

I don't think you can delete posts. . . but you can edit them. I guess its how vbulletin is set up.

Aug 8, 2002 at 8:43 AM Post #20 of 39
I tend to think like JMT on this AD-843 then AD-8610 Oh but Dont evean consider the 843 with less than +/- 12 volts this chip will only swing to within 4 volts of the rail and draws 13 Ma of Icq. But is one Kick Ass opamp on the other-hand the8610 draws only 3 Ma and will swing to within 1 volt of the rail. so for Portable use it is the 8610 for me. as for the AD8512 I am not happy with this Opamp it sounds Very grainey and is unstable in some circuits and only consumes about 1/2 of a Ma less current than the 8610 and the 8512 sounds like a Amp Driven into Full Clipping in comparrison with the 8610 the 8512 is the only Opamp other than the OPA-134 series that i can't listen to for an entire CD without getting Head pain. It's true the8512 is that grany and the only thing it is good for is a slight upgrade for the OPA2132.
Others AD-845 warm smooth Allready Class A needs no Current source 10 Ma Icq 100v/USEC Slew, 16 MHz GBP. Nice

Hears what i used to think of the 8512 and that wiew has got worse. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...2&pagenumber=2

Aug 8, 2002 at 11:11 AM Post #21 of 39
I agree about the AD8512, ppl, more or less. I don't know if I'd call it grainy, but instead call it hyper-revealing. I don't have a whole lot of listening time on this chip, but everything bad I've heard with it I'm convinced exists in the recording.

These faults might be enough to dismiss the chip, except for a few factors:

1. It runs from lower voltages than most other chips, including the 8610 and the 845, which is important when running from a single 9V battery like a lot of my amps have to do. Although this chip isn't classed as a rail-to-rail chip, output voltage can still come quite close to the rails, especially when the load is high impedance, as in the META42.

2. The low supply current is really quite remarkable. It's lower than the already low AD823.

3. This chip doesn't sound as aggressive to me as the 823.

4. The 845, my current favorite for high-end single-9V amps, sounds muffled compared to the AD8512. To put it another way, the 845 is smooth to the point of lacking detail, and the 8512 is detailed to the point of being unforgiving. Perhaps some day I'll find a middle ground between these two that still runs well from a single 9V battery.

These factors have caught my attention enough that I may stop using AD823s in favor of the 8512. Chips at this level of performance are all imperfect, but the 8512 seems to have a good balance of imperfections vs. good features.

Aug 8, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #22 of 39
Well, my OPA2604AP that I ordered came in today...

My battery is currently at 8.47v, and the op-amp sounds fine, but i'm definetly heeding tangents advice on his excellent website about this op-amp being critical of power...

To which end, I've bought an additional 9v battery clip that can be attached to the outside of the Serpac case, and run in series...

The one thing being, are ALL META amps standard with their components, being able to run between 9v and 18v? - I don't want to run the 2nd battery until I get confirmation on this, because I'd hate to kill the whole amp for the sake of a new op-amp, which so far as I can tell just provides a better quality bass, and smoother treble than the standard AD823

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #23 of 39
Tangent> I think that indeed the Most difficult sound to Reproduce is a bad recordings and since that is 70% of recordings made now-days it is imparritive to me that an Amp and most importently a headphone amp Be cleen on all but the most damaged Recordings. having spent years in my youth with all sorts and prices of Audio gear i have come to the conclusion that bad amps highlight recording imperfections to the point of being unlistenable to me. I tell ya Be it bad recordings, A distortion prone audio system or a combo of both If i have to take Advil after one CD at low to normal listening I will not go there again regardless of whatthe reason was. I gess i am sensitive to this, as evean the slightest trace of roughtness turns me right off. For me it must be smooth and clean. A current source improves the 8512 alot but it is still no 8610 or 8620. the 8610 & 8620 present all the detail within the recording while imperfections are showen the 8610 dose not turn up the Volume on the distorted parts. I also have incountered stability problems in some circuits that worked fine with other wider bandwidth opamps so for me No way on the 8512 not evean in Mid-Fi.

Duncan> the OPA-2604 is another opamp i dislike it also sounds rought and can be unstable in some circuits but circuits that the OPA-2604 worked fine in were unstable with the 8512.

Aug 8, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

are ALL META amps standard with their components

Not even close.

The main things to worry about are the power capacitors. To be absolutely safe, you need capacitors with a voltage rating equal to your power supply voltage or higher. Unless something bad happens, you can get away with power caps with 1/2 the voltage rating as your power supply. Do you believe in the Prophet Murphy?
smily_headphones1.gif

You don't need to worry about the signal capacitors (C1). The ones to worry about are C2 through C5. Check out the board layout diagram on the META42 web site to see where these caps are on the board. The voltage rating should be printed on the side of each cap.

Aug 9, 2002 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 39
24 hours after installing the burr brown op-amp, one thing i've noticed, it runs a lot more quietly than the AD823... the analog devices chip seems to absorb some RFI from my cordless phone (as do the other ICs that I tried) but this is not apparent on the burr brown... probably of little use to anyone to know this, but... ya never know
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2002 at 10:28 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

the analog devices chip seems to absorb some RFI from my cordless phone

All op-amps may be subject to a phenomenon called envelope detection. Similar to a cheap AM receiver, the out of band RF signal is demodulated by the nonlinear base-emitter (gate-source) junction at the input of the op-amp. This effect can be migitated by employing high-frequency filters at the input and feedback. This phenomenon is more prominent in bipolar op-amps but can still happen in FET opamps.

Aug 12, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #27 of 39
I use the OPA637s and IMO they sound great. I've never heard the Analog opamps though so I can't really do a comparison. If you want to use the OPA637 don't really count on having a portable setup. My power source is a 24V DC adapter. If you go this route make sure that you buy caps that are rated for the voltages too.

Aug 12, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #28 of 39
You DIYers have done an admirable job of identifying which opamps perform best under varying voltage conditions. What I would like to know is...which opamps would be best for certain types of music? I imagine rock and pop recordings would prefer a fast opamp that could deal with high voltage levels and constant heavy demands of bass, and be forgiving enough in the detail department not to make these average quality recordings sound harsh. Conversely, classical and jazz recordings would require a very detailed chip that could handle the delicate and subtle intonations of a well recorded performance with ease.

Any ideas?

Aug 12, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #29 of 39
I don't think op-amps work that way, Jeff. It's more a system matching kind of thing. Also, amps are supposed to just get out of the way of the music. The more successfully the amp does this, the better, IMHO. If you have an amp that "enhances" rock or classical or whatever type of music, something's suboptimal, and now you're back to a system matching issue. You can offset a dark op-amp with bright headphones, for example.

Consider the Sennheiser HD-570 headphones: they're said to be "for classical music" because classical has little high pitched stuff, so the brightness of these headphones doesn't grate with classical like it would for, say, heavy metal.

At any particular level of performance, there might be some chips that match well with your tastes, but I don't think this is going to change with the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back